It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some advice choosing a knife

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Hello all. I'm somewhat familiar with knives but I'd rather get the advice of the community before I make a purchase. First off, budget. I'm trying to stay around the $40-$60 range. (unless you can justify a reason to spend more) Second, usage. This isn't going to be used specifically for survival or skinning game, just an all-around good performer. I want something that folds and isn't too cumbersome, but I also like to feel the weight in my hand. Hopefully one that lasts for many years to come and can retain it's edge for a while before it needs to be honed. I have many cheaply made chinese knock-offs but I rarely carry them around. This will be something I will have with me while hiking and camping.

Here are a few things it will/might be used for:
Cutting rope, twine, fishing line, meat, vegetables/fruit
whittling/scraping down sticks
carving marks into trees for trail identification purposes
self defense if necessary (while hiking around my area I cannot carry a rifle)
Thanks for your replies in advance.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by realeyes

7 1/2 inch buck knife 120 general, the same knife they had on the movie scream, as well as various others,i used to have one and they are very nice knives, you can find the 6 inch version at wal mart typically
edit on 6-5-2011 by CUJOCREEP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Just got a new 7.5 kabar a few weeks ago. Very nice knife with a kydex sheath. I laced it up to my MOLLE vest and I use it for camping, fishing, hunting, etc.

You can get one on Amazon for around $60.00. Not a bad deal at all.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I've had the same Buck 110 for almost 30 years now. Its dull, dinged up and looks like hell.

Still the some of the best money I've ever spent.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

You may want to consider this one:

Army & Air Force Issue Survival Knife

www.amazon.com...=cm_cr_pr_product_top

edit on 5/6/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

with today's overwhelming info i just go here www.nextag.com... and the find the one i like my self Gerber or the buck, and go looking at the knife store. usually i will find one for $5 $10 less than the link's price, hope this helps.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Agreed with Mactire here... I went with this one back when I had one (have since got rid of it before a move sadly). It's the full version I think, and here it is for about $57. My personal favorite of Ka-Bar's lineup.
There should be a smaller sized version if you aren't comfortable with full.

Edit: Though I did not see you mention you want a folder... for that I'm not sure, looks like Kabar has some, and I know Benchmade makes some good knives, check them out too.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Sek82 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Good luck whittling with a 7.5" blade.

For such general use as you're describing I wouldn't go past 5".

Stay away from serrations even partial.

A solid full and thick tang.

For $60 I dont know how much knife you'd really get.

Stick around the realm of 420 stainless steel and 1095 carbon steel. The 1095 is an all around better performer but will suffer the affects of salt and corrosion much more readily than the 420. So I wouldnt use a 1095 as a dive knife for instance.

Price range is going to keep you from many options out there and unfortunately lock you to the department store display cases though you may get lucky.

Not as a specific endorsement because there are plenty of manufacturers just like this out there but the type of thing you want to look for in a good all-purpose pass it to your grandson type of knife: www.eseeknives.com...
edit on 6-5-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
here is the 2 folders stores.nextag.com... and www.nextag.com... for fixed blade this one www.calibex.com...

Schrade Old Timer 241ot Hatchet And Gut Combo Set W/nylon Balastic Sheath -

edit on 6-5-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Check out the Becker Companion, really nice knife in your price range.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The Swedish Mora from Frost cutlery is perhaps the best possible high value low price knife that you can buy.While not full tang the laminated carbon blade is vastly superior to just about any of the softer stainless steels...if you want something harder use ( a Mora will do everything you need barring heavy battoning) I suggest a Ontario Rat 3 or a Kabar Heavy Bowie. This is just my 2 cents mind you, but a Mora is my favorite bushcraft blade and I have never had it fail.-Fraggle

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Screw Buck knives the blades break to easy. For the money you cant beat a Kabar combat knife. If anyone thinks better just ask a Marine.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
You should have listened to the survival show.

We feature a knife of the week, and discuss the logic for the decision.
If you want a survival and utility knife, get an Air Force survival knife, I recommended Ontario knives, but others will have their own personal fav's. It has a saw, and stays sharp.

Others will suggest a K-bar, I own both of the knives mentioned, as well a a few others. Not so much as a collector, but because of their function.

One really has to take into consideration, the utility and use for why you want or need it.

Folders are nice as a pocket knife for lower weight, but a full tang is a solid blade. If your looking for some thing that can be "macgyverish", go with a nice muti tool that has both a straight and serrated blades. The other stuff on it will be essential as well.

edit on 6-5-2011 by ADVISOR because: I need the practice...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Why just ONE knife?

Get two or three for specific jobs. I would never use the same knife to hack my way through dense forest as I would to use for whittling or filleting fish.

As for self-defense? Anything that can reach your opponent is considered fair game. A knife is only necessary if you need to not be obvious about the kill.. your forest chopping machete will work just fine.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I have a USN Mk V divers knife [USMC KaBar] that was issued to me in 1969. It has been functional and reliable and does hold a good edge. I also own a Glock knife which is less expensive but less rugged.
For good advice, talk to the folks at countryknives.com [Lancaster County, PA] who are expert on edge weapons, knives, etc. and know their market very well. If you provide your criteria, they will be able to give you advice on the best knives for your needs for your budget with all pros and cons.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
all my Heavy Duty knives are either 1095 or 1055. SS knives in 420 or 400 will give good service if they are well made,but i would prefer my knife to bend and not break in severe use.i have a cold steel recon tanto,1055 ,and made in china.35$, the blade is a little on the thin side,but it has held up very well,i now own 3.check out the Cold Steel Bush man knife ,nothing there to fall off.KA-bar makes good knives, maybe you can find a used one in pawn shop.the air force /army suvival knife is not a well designed knife, its blade is an odd lenght,the handle is too small, and does not handle well with a double guard, remember what ever the military wants it will get regardless if it doesnt work well at all. our military has jungle survivals schools in florida and honduras and that knife doesnt do well at those schools, its a do it all knife designed by the military, and it doesnt do anything well. .buck folders are good knives,buck also make sheath knives too, ,just remember that SS blades are more brittle than carbon steel,spydrerco makes great folders most are SS, they will take plenty of abuse and stay sharp for a long time.one knife cannot do it all.
edit on 6-5-2011 by madokie because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2011 by madokie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I would recommend a Kershaw. I've carried a Kershaw for years, and I cannot find a better knife for the price. High quality steel, workmanship, and design. Check out their catalog.

www.kershawknives.com...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Thanks all for the advice. I ended up with a Kershaw Leek 1660st. Paid $65 in a local store. I like the weight and it feels pretty solid. The blade swings out quickly and she's sharp as a b*tch! Hopefully it lasts a while. Thanks again for the suggestions.

ETA: and its made in the USA!
edit on 8-5-2011 by realeyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'd look into ESEE Knives. Top quality knives. You will be paying around $100 but it is well worth it. You will also get one of the best warranties: You break it, they replace it. No questions asked. You can take a blowtorch and cut it in half for god sakes.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by realeyes
Thanks all for the advice. I ended up with a Kershaw Leek 1660st. Paid $65 in a local store. I like the weight and it feels pretty solid. The blade swings out quickly and she's sharp as a b*tch! Hopefully it lasts a while. Thanks again for the suggestions.

ETA: and its made in the USA!
edit on 8-5-2011 by realeyes because: (no reason given)

That's a great little knife. I carry that or my ESEE RC-3 every day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join