It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.2 Quake in Mid Atlantic ridge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I just noticed this on the USGS site.

A 5.2 in the Mid Atlantic Ridge.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by BioStatistic

Wow, you'd thing that even at 1700+ miles away I would of at least felt a little shaking.....5.2 is enough to rattle the crystal glasses.....

Thanks for the heads up !

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Fox Molder

Or that I'd have felt the 2.5 in GA at least; being in the ft Bragg area. Not very knowledgeable about earthquakes though. How far away would one feel these?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
it seems to be dead center atlantic ocean i read somewhere that the ridge could produce massive tsunami by underwater landslide

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I don't know how far away this will be felt. How big does one have to be to generate a tsunami? The way things are going, something like that perks my ears. It could be a total fluke, or the start of something else.

Maybe we could watch for volcanic changes in Iceland or something.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 35Foxtrot

It all depends on the density of the ridge. I was under the impression that the North Atlantic ridge was solid rock...I might be wrong but....5.2 is quick the shake, isn't it?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

area affected depends on region if your say in the rockies area would be small but in a place like mid west america it would be much bigger area of affect

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I'm on my mobile at the moment so can't post data from before but I'm pretty sure I've seen plenty of 5.1-5.5 earthquakes on the Mid Atlantic ridge, highest in-fact is 5.6.

It's capable of a large quake, but 5.2 is nothing to worry about.

Found this 6.9 there in 08' after a quick search.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder

It all depends on the density of the ridge. I was under the impression that the North Atlantic ridge was solid rock...I might be wrong but....5.2 is quick the shake, isn't it?

Dont' know, but if there was a landslide undersea or is was a single "pop" wouldn't that generate some kind of pressure wave in the water?
edit on 6-5-2011 by BioStatistic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FermiFlux
I'm on my mobile at the moment so can't post data from before but I'm pretty sure I've seen plenty of 5.1-5.5 earthquakes on the Mid Atlantic ridge, highest in-fact is 5.6.

It's capable of a large quake, but 5.2 is nothing to worry about.

Found this 6.9 there in 08' after a quick search.

Cool. I hope it's nothing. I have friends in Virginia Beach and things like that scare me. We're already flooding here in the midwest...the last thing we need here in the US is a tsunami on the east coast.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Guys, a 5.2 in this area isn't worth paying too much attention to.

Magnitude 5.2
Date-Time Friday, May 06, 2011 at 16:20:39 UTC
Friday, May 06, 2011 at 01:20:39 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 32.328°N, 40.045°W
Depth 9.9 km (6.2 miles)
Region NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE
Distances 1127 km (700 miles) SW of Santa Cruz das Flores, Azores, Portugal
1242 km (771 miles) WSW of Horta, Azores, Portugal
2003 km (1244 miles) SE of SAINT JOHN'S, Nfld. and Labrador, Canada
2945 km (1829 miles) ESE of BOSTON, Massachusetts

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 17.3 km (10.7 miles); depth +/- 2.8 km (1.7 miles)
Parameters NST=261, Nph=262, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=0.89 sec, Gp= 72°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc00037kj

LINK

As to how far away you'd feel it; you can go to that link I provided and click on the map tabs. For an earthquake near a populated area that gets felt reports, there will be shake maps that show the intensity levels.

A 5.2 is only a moderate quake. It was a bit shallow, but being out in the ocean,it wouldn't have been felt anywhere. Typically it takes over 6.0 to pose any tsunami threat and it also depends on the type of fault (movement involved) and shape of the ocean floor. (it is all about water displacement)

Even if this had been on land, it wouldn't have been felt that far away. Probably not even a hundred miles. Again though, depends on the type of land it happens in. Rock vs sand, etc.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'm in miami and i'm always on the lookout.
But there's no tsunami warning or anything like that from waht i can tell.
probably just a quake and nothing else.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Atlantis rising?

You never know... it's in the "general vicinity" of where Atlantis is fabled to have been, according to most academics.

~Namaste

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Atlantis rising?

You never know... it's in the "general vicinity" of where Atlantis is fabled to have been, according to most academics.

~Namaste

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'd totally relocate there if it did rise. lol

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Guys, a 5.2 in this area isn't worth paying too much attention to.

Magnitude 5.2
Date-Time Friday, May 06, 2011 at 16:20:39 UTC
Friday, May 06, 2011 at 01:20:39 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 32.328°N, 40.045°W
Depth 9.9 km (6.2 miles)
Region NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE
Distances 1127 km (700 miles) SW of Santa Cruz das Flores, Azores, Portugal
1242 km (771 miles) WSW of Horta, Azores, Portugal
2003 km (1244 miles) SE of SAINT JOHN'S, Nfld. and Labrador, Canada
2945 km (1829 miles) ESE of BOSTON, Massachusetts

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 17.3 km (10.7 miles); depth +/- 2.8 km (1.7 miles)
Parameters NST=261, Nph=262, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=0.89 sec, Gp= 72°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc00037kj

LINK

As to how far away you'd feel it; you can go to that link I provided and click on the map tabs. For an earthquake near a populated area that gets felt reports, there will be shake maps that show the intensity levels.

A 5.2 is only a moderate quake. It was a bit shallow, but being out in the ocean,it wouldn't have been felt anywhere. Typically it takes over 6.0 to pose any tsunami threat and it also depends on the type of fault (movement involved) and shape of the ocean floor. (it is all about water displacement)

Even if this had been on land, it wouldn't have been felt that far away. Probably not even a hundred miles. Again though, depends on the type of land it happens in. Rock vs sand, etc.

Thanks. That pretty much covers it for me. Thanks to all the rest of you guys too for adding to my, addmitted, limited knowledge in this area.

new topics

top topics

join