It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony Says Hackers Planted File Marked 'Anonymous'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Sony Says Hackers Planted File Marked 'Anonymous'

blogs.forbes.com

In a letter to Congress, Sony American chairman Kazuo Hirai said Sony had discovered on Sunday that intruders to the Sony Online Entertainment Network had “planted a file on one of those servers named ‘Anonymous’ with the words ‘We are legion.’”

The words correspond to a tagline for the collective, typically posted at the bottom of press releases, messages used to deface websites in “operations” or forum comments by supporters of Anonymous.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.flickr.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Sony finds no apparent Anonymous link to PlayStation attack
Anonymous Attacking Playstation Network
The FBI Has Issued 40 Arrest Warrants For Anonymous Members
Sony Makes it Official: PlayStation Network Hacked

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Apparently, efforts at PR damage control, are inspiring SONY executives (perhaps with some help from law enforcement) to, once again, evoke the nebulous specter of the 'hacker'-activists group called "Anonymous"

Sony had explicitly declared in a press release two days ago that there was "no link between an attack on its PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and Internet activist group Anonymous".

But the very next day, in a letter addressed to the US Congressional Subcommittee on Commerce and Trade, American SONY chairman Kazuo Hirai states that the hackers had "planted" a file on one of their servers bearing the slogan associated with the group.

So which is it? It seems like the standard paradigm in Public Relations for both governments and corporations has become, contradict yourself, give inconsistent reports, and leave the public uncertain at all times.....

In my opinion, the establishment seems to conduct it's most egregious intrusions into our lives based upon the most conspiracy-prone activities....

Here we will have congressional and governmental sources telling us that Anonymous was definitely involved.... while any alert and diligent citizen will be inclined to say "that's not true..." making the citizen a 'conspiracy theorist'.... who will likely be ignored....

Are we learning yet?

Enjoy!

blogs.forbes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
To be hit twice in one month is reticulum, Sony is just trying to play the blame game when they should be fixing the freaking problem instead. Once again thanks Sony for making me a Microsoft fan for life! (And yes I said reticulum so what!)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Would this tie into the potential lawsuit against them?

"Don't sue us, we have a direction to point the blame finger at, sue them"

Does that sound like something anonymous would post in the first place? They always explain their motives and reasoning clearly in the left over marks like that, otherwise their activism would just be mindless attacking.

But, I don't know.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

Off topic: Congratulations on teaching me a new use for the word 'reticulum' today!

------------------------------------------------------------

I find it amazing that Anonymous hasn't slammed them for even daring to accuse them when they know full and well this is an organized crime deal... like most any other mass "release" of credit card info.
edit on 5-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

i had a feeling that mafiaboy may have gotten bored and descided to play free PS3 Demos for a while but aparently not...this is more interesting...why would they want to hack Sony?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Maybe this was done as a covert exercise to try and bring public support against Anon? And on the same token piss off gamers some of which are good hackers themselves and try and provoke some sort of civil type war? Stolen Identities would be a perfect excuse for regulating internet from "cyber terrorists". Authoritarian and facist governments have more to gain from this than anon IMO.
edit on 5-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
ahhhh, it's all part of the standardizing of information for the fusion centers.
can't have the peeps volunteering the info, that'd be breaking their own rules.

however, once they've been 'breached', well then, it's certainly not their responsibility YOUR personal info is now in the hands of SOMEone, SOMEwhere, supposedly untraceable ... yet, at the same time, they can prove (claim) a group such as Anonymous was involved. (yeah right)

interesting spit ball indeed ... Sony has much more info than names, numbers and addresses ... and we certainly will never be made aware of the extent of info obtained.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
They still don't get it do they... everyone is anonymous and it's just a term to use when fighting "evil".

If these credit cards are not going to be used ONLY then you can know it was Anonymous, if used it wasn't.
As they left a note it can mean either criminals that are using the name to distract the attention or they are really Anonymous.

In case that there was a note that is....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

My bet is still China.
Don't Anonymous always declare their ops?

I think someone/many in China is behind the hack,but will be well protected and we will never find out.
Just my opinion as usual,I could be wrong..

Maybe Sonys private investigators will find out,although I found it strange that sony had to hire outside help on the matter of their own security algorythms??

Should not that be an internal affair?
They must have the expertise surely?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Sounds like a 'false flag' cyber attack to me. Say it's anonymous to implement tighter internet restrictions... didn't they just go after 40 of them or something?

The FBI Has Issued 40 Arres Warrants For Anonymous Members
edit on 5-5-2011 by MikeyBones because: to add link

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

1 step closer to internet censorship due to those dern hackers that call themselves Anonymous!
I shake my fist in anger and scream at the sky, as the PTB giggles.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I would like to see details of any type of insurance Sony maintains in the event that data is compromised. Most if not all large companies must carry some sort of liability insurance. Having someone to blame in this case might mean the difference between getting a multi-million dollar payout or not

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
All I know is that whoever hacked it, last night someone from their group used the info they had stolen off my SOE account to access my primary email and change the password.

Luckily I got everything straightened out with no harm, but if it is Anon, then screw them. I am totally ok with them disrupting my service as a political dialogue, but don't go and hack my email - obviously to nefarious ends. Whoever did that is just a ****** thief.

On the other hand, it may have been Chinese hackers. In which case, the government probably asked SOE to declare that it was Anon so that Chinese "relations" (read the fleecing of America) could continue unabated.

Screw thieves. Whoever they may be.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I really must ask, why SONY?
Why not Microsoft as well?
Please do not tell me that it is because Microsoft has the best minds working for them as I have used several of their OS and i am still not impressed with all of the quirks and problems.
Why SONY and not Microsoft too?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeyBones

Creating a boogy man to be able to find a way to regulate and get away with BS, occurs with somebody benefiting as usual.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If whoever hacked the network had full control, wouldn't it be easy plant a file like this? Maybe they did it to draw attention away from themselves and to Anonymous? Just a thought.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Sony prosecutes innocent people like geohotz.

Originally posted by MikeyBonez
Sounds like a 'false flag' cyber attack to me. Say it's anonymous to implement tighter internet restrictions... didn't they just go after 40 of them or something?
It was a fabricated article using old footage of an irrelevant interview with anon.The entire article was a lie.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I were going to rob a bank I wouldn't drop my ID, I would drop the ID of someone else.Preferably someone with a pre existing motive.Makes sense right?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Please do not tell me that it is because Microsoft has the best minds working for them as I have used several of their OS and i am still not impressed with all of the quirks and problems.

wow...

did microsoft sued people for breaking into their kinect or xbox??? none that i know of...

but seriously this isn't about Microsofts OS performance this is about how Sony acted and how they did it...

google is a really good friend of mine, you can ask him questions he won't be mad at you

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Let me just be sure I understand.

They went out of their way to leave a gloating signature behind...but then publicly denied being responsible, while at the same time acknowledging involvement in different attacks on Sony?

I see.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join