It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Indians object to 'Geronimo' as code for bin Laden raid

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Of course they do. It's offensive and insensitive, especially when they hear "E-KIA Geronimo." As in, we got him again (figuratively). Using this name was a bit thoughtless, even though it has been colloquialized. By the way, even though it's neither here nor there, Geronimo may not even have been his real name?

Allegedly "Geronimo" was the name given to him during a Mexican incident, but his real name was Goyaałé from the Chiricahua language meaning "one who yawns" [Wiki]

Is it a Mexican word? I dunno.

And did someone already post this? That last part's weird.

Today the name is not only used as a motivational yell or as code in military missions, but also as an insignia for an Army brigade. The 1st Battalion Airborne, 501st Infantry Regiment, wears the insignia of the Native-American leader on its sleeves -- literally.

A patch bearing Geronimo's image is emblazoned on the unit's uniforms. In the build-up to World War II, some paratroopers in the unit saw the film, prompting them to adopt the "Geronimo" motto in the future.

There is even a connection between Geronimo and President George W. Bush. According to conspiracy theorists, the 43rd president's grandfather, Prescott Bush, once joined with fellow members of the elite Yale University secret society Skull and Bones to rob Geronimo's grave. abcnews.go.com...

edit on 5/5/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Oops...missed this in all the bickering...sorry! This thread moved fast too or I moved slow. I started typing when it was only on page 1! Got you. Thanks.

edit on 5/5/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Asktheanimals

This isn't the point.

It's not the name but rather the man behind the name. Some who know his story may see the use of his name as glorifying his fate.

It is the point.
Geronimo was never his name.
Native Americans have naming ceremonies where your name is given to you by the tribe.
That is the name that matters, not what your enemies and captors decide to call you.

Native Americans have plenty to complain about and I think this issue is pitifully small potatoes compared to the unemployment, discrimination and Federal land grabbing that goes on.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I am thinking that there may be something more subtle going on
in this whole farcical saga.
Are people in certain places trying to clue us into the whole truthful
reality on 9/11.
Fakery, lies and contradiction have become big issues surrounding the death of
bin laden. Purposefully contrived are words that springs to mind.
More and more, people are investigating the notions of video and victim fakery
and everyone is familiar with the long list of 9/11 lies and contradictions.

According to the article, Osama was not militarily referred to as geronimo before a week ago.
It is long rumoured that geronimo's skull is in the possession of the notorious
skull and bones club.
Is this a subtle incrimination of a major player in a 9/11 Contrived hoax?

There is an intricate connection between Osama Bin Laden and 9/11.
But what exactly is that connection?
Is this the answer?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I think they use Native names because they think it gives them some kind of power or honor. For the bones of Geronimo to be kept is a dishonor and a shame. I'm also opposed to archaeological digs on Native burial grounds.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join