It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Indians object to 'Geronimo' as code for bin Laden raid

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

American Indians object to 'Geronimo' as code for bin Laden raid

www.washingtonpost.com

He died 102 years ago in Oklahoma, a beaten warrior, a prisoner of war, an exile from his homeland, a propped-up sideshow, a gambler and a lukewarm Christian. His family was murdered by Mexicans. The Americans stripped him of most everything else.

And yet, the Apache born near the Gila River in present-day Arizona with the not-very-impressive name of Goyahkla (“One Who Yawns”) rode into history as the legendary Geronimo.
It was his name that the U.S. military chose as the code for the raid, and perhaps for Osama bin Laden himself, during the operation that killed the al-Qaeda leader in
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
the rest of the article is inside the link. it's worth a read and i'm wondering on everyone's opinion, as usual.
is this just political correctness gone astray?
maybe more in the lines of a team called the washington redskins?
personally, i think 'custer' is far more appropriate, but there is an absolute zero chance of his nickname being that of a white man.
my opinion in this may sound racist to some.
but, come on now, using a white guys name just ain't gunna' happen to portray a muslim.
not in my america anyways.
from this aspect i don't blame the native americans, maybe it's time to go back on the warpath?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Geronimo was a major leader to his tribe and so was Bin Laden.

Custer was a sub par soldier whos ego and stupidity got his people killed.

I think Geronimo fits.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This code naming shows that the guys I pay taxes to are not doing a very good job. Apaches I have met are very proud of how they served in the military. You would think that the Army would be proud of them and not demean them like this. Maybe only 10 guys planned this operation and they wern't that bright.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
They might as well have just called it Operation: George Washinton

Then again Americans probably wouldn't like that name.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
There is a Native American member who posted on a lawsuit in Federal court now to retrieve Geronimo's skull and bones that apparently George Bush senior bought...evil?
She objected to the code used too.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
We have sports teams, millitary hardware, towns across the country all with Indian names. This is just political correctness being used as a tool by the USA haters that cannot stand that we took out their cult hero Bin Hidin.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

No need for that....

That's like saying all black people are dumb and eat fried chicken.

I know you put a disclaimer on your post, but seriously couldn't you add anything more than that?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I've wondered about this quite a bit, especially since I saw the film "Inglorious Basterds (sic)."
In the film they call the Brad Pitt character "The Apache".
They use scalping against the Nazis.
Some say it's a post-modern irony that a people once hunted by the US are now hunting imaginary Nazis.
Some say the mixing of blood makes Native Americans quintessentially American.
More basically, it's just racist.
Of course some films play with racism, but apparently not everybody gets the irony.
edit on 5-5-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
my apache friend who lives down in the chirquahuas told me in a conversation years ago.
'we had a generation of the strong completely removed from history.
all they left was the infirm and weak. if one pays attention the once strong 'warrior class'
is returning to our lands.'
the navajo believe the same, albeit not as quickly as the much smaller apache nation.
edit on 5-5-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Everyone is too whiny and thin skinned is what this all means. Grow a pair and live your life, instead of worrying what code word was used in a ridiculous war in this ridiculous time we live in.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Granite
There is a Native American member who posted on a lawsuit in Federal court now to retrieve Geronimo's skull and bones that apparently George Bush senior bought...evil?
She objected to the code used too.

yeah that was me lol .. I objected to it because of the foul sick mind of keeping his bones and skull and I was told that the Law suit was dismissed in 2010 so it failed . but I do find it insulting to use a native americans name as a code .. why not have used any other fugitives name there are plenty of them in the most wanted list??

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join