It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Dog Used in Bin Laden Compound Raid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Military Dog Used in Bin Laden Compound Raid

www.foxnews.com

Among the commandos was a heroic canine – a bomb-sniffing dog who was attached to a team member as the SEALs were lowered from a Black Hawk helicopter into bin Laden’s hideout, The Sun reports.

The four-legged soldier has not yet been identified, but some speculate the breed was either a Belgian Malinois or German shepherd, a breed used frequently in raids in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The dogs are well-protected in these dangerous situations, armed with ballistic body armor, protective gear to shield against bullets and shrapnel, and infrared night-sight cameras that provide crucial feed
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline
edit on 5/5/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Of all the news and contradictions ( Which I believe are from MSM and politicians that weren't there reporting their speculations and didn't wait until the Seal's could be properly debriefed) I thought this news story was a nice change of pace. I'm a dog lover and after reading the story it just goes to show you how wonderful dog's are. How cool is it they use night vision goggle's and Kevlar.

I don't really like that dog's are drafted like they are and put into these dangerous situations but at lease they give them protection. I would love to see a pic of one geared up. If anybody has one. Send it my way. Enjoy!

I am one of the ones the believe they did kill OBL at that compound. I guess I'm guilable.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5/5/2011 by JerryB08 because: Classified

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

eh NVM.... that was offtopic. I don't like that we use animals as tools, I could never use my dog as a tool, or my cat as a tool.
edit on Thu, 05 May 2011 06:01:37 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JerryB08

How cool is it they use night vision goggle's and Kevlar.

The dog's don't use night vision goggles, they have infrared cameras on them, they are using the dog as a scout.

edit on 5-5-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I don't really like that dog's are drafted like they are and put into these dangerous situations but at lease they give them protection. I would love to see a pic of one geared up. If anybody has one. Send it my way. Enjoy!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/500e1673b19b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cbfbc70a5ef9.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Shepherds and Belgian Malinois are two of my fav breeds.

Science of Dogs video discusses how they are trained.

Dog(Sniffs For Illegal Products At Afghanistan Border ) in action.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Another pic: Here

edit on 5-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I think these dogs LOVE their work. They live every day loving life. I think using dogs for security is a good thing. I love German Shepherds, but I'm a little spooked by the Malinois.
They are FOCUSED dogs! Of course I was intimidated by GSDs before I got my first one, too.

Great videos, dreaming.
I LOVE watching dogs work.

My cyber-friend's Mainois. He's a year old now:

edit on 5/5/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
My uncle was a Chippewa Indian that was a dog handler in Vietnam 1969-70. He loved his dog and was stricken with grief when he left the war zone, as the dog had to be put down. It was standard procedure according to him, the dogs were trained by their handler before going to Vietnam and would not work with another handler.

Their job was to find booby traps, tunnels and food/weapons caches. He said there were plenty of times that the dog saved his life. He told me that out in the bush, he would sometimes be forced by situations to eat the dogs food and sometimes the dog ate his.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Wow! The dog must have smelt out the suicide vest that Osama was wearing!!!

IRM

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Oh I see

That makes more sense. Would.of looked cool. lol

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

That is F sorry messed up. Why wouldn't they just let him keep the dog. I hate people that use animals like their a wrench.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Thanks for the pictures. I'm gonna make that my back ground on my laptop If ya don't mind.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Breaking news. They used a dog.

Awwww and wowwy.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Couldn't help myself....

K-9 + ST-6 = 5/1

Sic him Rex...Bite the bad man in the.....

GO DAWGS !!!!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I have a hard time finding sympathy for that man no matter how it went down. I for one though didn't feel like it was a reason to celebrate. I can't say I felt joy. But I don't fault people for their being happy about it. I didn't lose anyone by his methods though. If in fact he wasn't going for a gun. Which I find hard to believe that he didn't have one in his bedroom. He was the most wanted man in the world. And I have complete faith in the military.

Those men have rules of engagement. Now a CIA that's possible I guess. But the seals as some point will get out and talk. They are not all going for their 20 years. Anything is possible I try to keep an open mind. I wasn't there.
. I think a lot of the confusion has to be blamed on the administration and the media. For one if the person at the CIA is gonna release a statement they should have to have their name printed too. They obviously didn't wait until they debriefed the seal team how can you give details of a special op mission when you haven't talked to the people that were there. That was a stupid thing on their part. I'm glad they made the right call on sending a unit in. Because they were going to drop 24 2000LBS bombs on the place instead. Half his advisers suggested that. I would fire all of them. A chance at the guy and you support an option that doesn't get a positive ID? Pres Clinton had already made that mistake.

Anything that Pakistan say's about the OP I completely Ignore. They are no friend of the USA. They just like the millions of dollars we give them for their fake cooperation. They really got exposed by his location. they will do anything they can at this point because are getting a lot of pressure. Just some of my thoughts. I know a lot will disagree and I respect that.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by JerryB08

eh NVM.... that was offtopic. I don't like that we use animals as tools, I could never use my dog as a tool, or my cat as a tool.
edit on Thu, 05 May 2011 06:01:37 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Pretty much all you have today is because of humans using animals as tools....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

reply to post by butcherguy

That is F sorry messed up. Why wouldn't they just let him keep the dog. I hate people that use animals like their a wrench.

Things have changed just a tad since then.

The crazy part is when they are active they are basically considered as a human soldier.. They are awarded ranks, metals, honors and are for all intents and purposes held equal to human personnel.

Thing is.. When it's time for them to retire they loose all of that and are still considered nothing more than military equipment and are euthanize as such.

There are programs to get some of these dogs adopted, but as you can assume it takes a very special person to adopt one as they have the potential to be quite dangerous..

They do however save thousands of lives annually in the field and are considered an absolute asset by their handlers and the units they are assigned to. These are some very very special animals.
edit on 5-5-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Oh now they claim they used a dog?
the story is starting to look more BS

top topics

<<   2 >>

join