It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old UFO Photos 1870-1939.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Most people without much knowledge of ufology are under the misconception that the phenomenon started with the Foo Fighters of WW2 or the 1947 Kenneth Arnold event.
So personally i think that makes pre 1939 photographs worthy of our attention even if some of the images below are dubious to say the least.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bb427cdc2a96.jpg[/atsimg]

Winter, 1870 - Mount Washington, New Hampshire, USA

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ca9a29def1d.jpg[/atsimg]

1910 - France

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/181f4fca5743.jpg[/atsimg]

1920 - USA

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3f13caa8ed74.jpg[/atsimg]

1927 - Cave Junction, Oregon, USA

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d49ff3daac1d.jpg[/atsimg]

April, 1929 - Ward, Colorado, USA

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e507abed0ef.jpg[/atsimg]

Summer, 1932 - St. Paris, Ohio, USA

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49f513ab6c2b.jpg[/atsimg]

1937 - Vancouver, BC, Canada

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42d67db750c1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28e0d6f73bc5.jpg[/atsimg]

January 1, 1939 - Organ Cave, West Virginia, USA

www.old-ufo-photos.tk...

I think the Mount Washington photo is very interesting.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
nice collection! S&F worthy I would say............I hope other members might be able to dig up some more

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I like these photos more then the recent ones, I am less skeptical of them and the stories they hold.

Cool thread I too hope others add to this. S&F

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Yeah nice thread. I rather look at these classic pics than new ones.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrashRetrieval

"I think the Mount Washington photo is very interesting".

Yes, it's a measuring stick or a penknife or something like that used for scale when the photo was taken of some SNOW.

There's an old thread somewhere here on ATS that discussed it.

EDIT...found it:

Originally posted by atc_eh
THIS IS NOT AN IMAGE OF A UFO
I stumbled across this image and could not let the assertion that this is a UFO go unchallenged. I am probably uniquely qualified to debunk this as an expert on both Mt. Washington and stereoviews of the White Mountain region of New Hampshire. I'm also a climber who has summited Mt Washington many times in all seasons including winter.

BACKGROUND
1. The image is a heavily-cropped portion of a genuine stereoview taken during the winter of 1870-1871 by photographers A F. Clough and H.A. Kimball. Cropping has removed key contextual information, which would immediately disprove this as a UFO photo.

2. From Nov 1870 to May 1871, an expedition under the US Army Signal Corps spent the winter on Mt Washington making scientific observations. There was great public interest in this adventure and their exploits were telegraphed daily. Clough and Kimball were two NH photographers attached to the expedition who made many interesting images which were distributed widely.

3. This expedition was documented in a book called "Mount Washington in Winter". It describes their research and the difficult living conditions in one of the world's most extreme environments. No UFOs or paranormal events were documented. Read it yourself here: books.google.com...

4. There were a number of structures on the summit at this time including two hotels, and the train depot where the observers overwintered. No wooden fences as these would blow away

5. Mt Washington is famous for its ferocious weather especially wind which sculpts snow and ice creating strange and beautiful formations which were common subjects of White Mountain stereoviews. Rime ice forms on all vertical surfaces exposed to wind and can appear milky or cloud-like.

6. In wintry conditions, ground, sky, and clouds can all blend together creating a disorienting effect on observers and climbers and it can be difficult or impossible to scale objects properly. This is why viewing a cropped image might lead some people to think they are looking at clouds.

7. I own one of these images and have seen several others. The "mystery" object is present in the original photograph and has not been caused by retouching, camera trickery, or damage.

THE ORIGINAL IMAGE

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?
In the foreground are frost formations on Lizzie Bourne's cairn, just below the summit of Washington on a day with high overcast. (A cairn is a purpose-built pile of rocks). This is a very close photo. The "mystery" object is only a few inches long. There is a clear demarcation between ground and sky in the background on what was a rare winter day with moderate visibility. The background below the horizon line is wind-sculpted ice and snow, not clouds.

WHAT IS THE MYSTERY OBJECT?
Using a period stereoscope or magnifying glass and/or having some familiarity with the gear and/or process a scientist would use, it is perfectly clear that the object is a wooden "standard". That's just a fancy name for a ruler, in this case, a folding ruler. Expedition members carried them to make observations like snow depth, rime accumulation, etc. They even complained about losing or breaking them in poor weather. You are looking at a ruler placed on a snow-covered cairn to scale an object in featureless terrain. Yes, it is that boring. No mystery zeppelins here. Sorry believers, it's another hoax.

Here are a few examples of folding rulers from about this period:

CONCLUSION
This is not a UFO. What you have is a not-so-clever crop of a real image by an unscrupulous person perpetuating the UFO myth. The person who cropped it probably thought he was looking at something unique, but this photo is not even especially rare.

Link to Old ATS Thread
edit on 4/5/2011 by nerbot because: added ATS link & info

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
this one...........

.............made me instantly think of this old painting.

edit on 4-5-2011 by gmac10001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Nice pictures. I dont think I've seen any of these before. The first one is creepy if its authentic, but the more I look at it the more I see a pocket knife. Thanks for sharing. S+F

Edit: Oops. Someone beat me to it. :

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I love how UFOs look correspondent to the time they are in. a 1911 UFO will never look as modern as a 2011 UFO.
Brand spanking new with Navi, XM radio and Star.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Interesting photo's, nice to see some from before the craze took hold in the 40's. Not sure about teh first one, and the one over Vancouver is strange

nice post thanks for posting them

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrashRetrieval

It's amazing how people still perpetuate this hoax as a UFO:

1. The image is a heavily-cropped portion of a genuine stereoview taken during the winter of 1870-1871 by photographers A F. Clough and H.A. Kimball. Cropping has removed key contextual information, which would immediately disprove this as a UFO photo.

2. From Nov 1870 to May 1871, an expedition under the US Army Signal Corps spent the winter on Mt Washington making scientific observations. There was great public interest in this adventure and their exploits were telegraphed daily. Clough and Kimball were two NH photographers attached to the expedition who made many interesting images which were distributed widely.

3. This expedition was documented in a book called "Mount Washington in Winter". It describes their research and the difficult living conditions in one of the world's most extreme environments. No UFOs or paranormal events were documented. Read it yourself here: books.google.com...

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?
In the foreground are frost formations on Lizzie Bourne's cairn, just below the summit of Washington on a day with high overcast. (A cairn is a purpose-built pile of rocks). This is a very close photo. The "mystery" object is only a few inches long. There is a clear demarcation between ground and sky in the background on what was a rare winter day with moderate visibility. The background below the horizon line is wind-sculpted ice and snow, not clouds.

WHAT IS THE MYSTERY OBJECT?
Using a period stereoscope or magnifying glass and/or having some familiarity with the gear and/or process a scientist would use, it is perfectly clear that the object is a wooden "standard". That's just a fancy name for a ruler, in this case, a folding ruler. Expedition members carried them to make observations like snow depth, rime accumulation, etc. They even complained about losing or breaking them in poor weather. You are looking at a ruler placed on a snow-covered cairn to scale an object in featureless terrain. Yes, it is that boring. No mystery zeppelins here. Sorry believers, it's another hoax.

Here are a few examples of folding rulers from about this period:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The cycle never ends. Nobody does any actual research anymore.

ETA: Here's a LINK to a very large version of the photo.

edit on 4-5-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
The cycle never ends. Nobody does any actual research anymore.

You missed my post above then.

I even commented in the thread about that pic 3 years ago.

We are not ALL assimilated.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
You missed my post above then.

We are not ALL assimilated.

Nope, didn't miss it. I just posted before your edit.

Assimilation is NEVER futile.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
heres some with the link to the site..UfoCasebook

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gmac10001

That one also reminded of the Japan missile show from the other day

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Arsenis

Thats a very ignorant response. Since our technology evolves, ET technology would evolve too.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

Can't read sarcasm can you?

it looks like tech that could have been created at that time is what I meant, just in a sarcastic kind of way, why is their technology advancing at almost the same time ours advances then? can you explain that?

also it is ignorant to think that they are ET since UFO only means unidentified flying object.

edit on 4-5-2011 by Arsenis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I don't know about the explanation for this Mt Washington photo. That doesn't look like Lizzie Borden's Caim as there is a photo of such on google images and it's a small pile of rocks. And even if that caim was covered with mist or snow it wouldn't look like the photo here on ATS. Additionally, the claimed measuring tool doesn't resemble a measuring tool especially any of those shown in the image from the link. A measuring tool should be used to show length and whatever the black object is only those in the know would know its length, not everyone who looks at the photo. Archaeologists use a tool with distinctive color separations to indicate length. The alleged caim seems to be a large "mountain" because it and the background are in focus meaning that if it was as close as claimed the background would not be in focus.

I will not venture a guess as to what it is or may be but I don't accept the Lizzie Borden Caim as an explanation.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Is it just me, or does it appear that the trees in this pic are on fire?
As though it was a pic from an old movie. Alien invasion or something.

Mainly the ones on the lower right. Before someone suggests x-mas lights, I say, if that's the case, then why aren't the trees on the left lit up?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Unfortunately i cannot find any information to go with this picture.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2b4ed8bc8d41.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
China 1911.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54c61d793181.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join