It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announces Results of Epic Space-Time Experiment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0e53af457de.jpg[/atsimg]

By way of a "new" tech, NASA confirms that we live in a twisting space-time vortex. Einstein's predictions on space-time tested. Still right.

May 4, 2011: Einstein was right again. There is a space-time vortex around Earth, and its shape precisely matches the predictions of Einstein's theory of gravity.

Researchers confirmed these points at a press conference today at NASA headquarters where they announced the long-awaited results of Gravity Probe B (GP-B).

Put a spinning gyroscope into orbit around the Earth, with the spin axis pointed toward some distant star as a fixed reference point. Free from external forces, the gyroscope's axis should continue pointing at the star--forever. But if space is twisted, the direction of the gyroscope's axis should drift over time. By noting this change in direction relative to the star, the twists of space-time could be measured.

"The space-time around Earth appears to be distorted just as general relativity predicts," says Stanford University physicist Francis Everitt, principal investigator of the Gravity Probe B mission.

"This is an epic result," adds Clifford Will of Washington University in St. Louis. An expert in Einstein's theories, Will chairs an independent panel of the National Research Council set up by NASA in 1998 to monitor and review the results of Gravity Probe B. "One day," he predicts, "this will be written up in textbooks as one of the classic experiments in the history of physics.

What's next?

Everitt recalls some advice given to him by his thesis advisor and Nobel Laureate Patrick M.S. Blackett: "If you can't think of what physics to do next, invent some new technology, and it will lead to new physics."

Full article Here

This means we cant even think about anti-gravity? Or they will find a way to manipulate, distort, or control that warping?

Superconducting Quantum Interference Device (SQUID)

A triumphant NASA spokesperson was quoted as saying: "I can get you what you want. You just have to talk to me. I'm your priest, your shrink, your main connection to the switchboard of souls. I'm the Magic Man, the Santa Claus of the Subconscious. You say it, you even think it, you can have it. You want a girl, you want two girls? I don't know what your thing is or what you're curious about... you want a guy? You want to be a girl... see what that feels like? You want a nun to tie you up? It's all do-able."

From the movie Strange Days

If you want to learn more about Spacetime and Spin, here is the Link

edit on 4-5-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
(This means we cant even think about anti-gravity? Or they will find a way to manipulate, distort, or control that warping?)
Well you just crushed all my hopes that anti-gravity would see the human population into space so we mite as a race live to see other solar systems to live and maybe even alien life, now the dream is dead
Tanks OP, star and flag

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarBeyondDriven69
(This means we cant even think about anti-gravity? Or they will find a way to manipulate, distort, or control that warping?)
Well you just crushed all my hopes that anti-gravity would see the human population into space so we mite as a race live to see other solar systems to live and maybe even alien life, now the dream is dead
Tanks OP, star and flag

Not so fast, remember:

NASA = Never A Straight Answer.

We never can loose hope.

As I post above, think about this:

A triumphant NASA spokesperson was quoted as saying: "I can get you what you want. You just have to talk to me. I'm your priest, your shrink, your main connection to the switchboard of souls. I'm the Magic Man, the Santa Claus of the Subconscious. You say it, you even think it, you can have it. You want a girl, you want two girls? I don't know what your thing is or what you're curious about... you want a guy? You want to be a girl... see what that feels like? You want a nun to tie you up? It's all do-able."

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I don't think that this discovery precludes any type of "warping" or artificial manipulation of the space time field. It's a great read and deserves a star and a flag; however, I think what is important to realize here is that the more we understand and prove these theories regarding the universe and world we live in the closer we will get to interstellar space travel. If the space race hadn't have died down with the USSR we may have seen a manned Mars mission and a manned orbit around Venus (was a USSR project at one point), and who knows where else. IF major funding can get to NASA and people start realizing the commercial and scientific values of it (all the minerals that could be mined, and the fact that for our survival as a species, at one point we will have to find another planet to live on), then I think we will see vast leaps in our ability to travel long distances in space. The Orion project was also very interesting; look that up as well for good reading.

Don't despair. I honestly think we will be capable of at least light travel in the next 200 years, and perhaps FTL. But who knows.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
And you believe them?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bonified Ween
And you believe them?

I'm on the fence, but you have to agree with me on this:

NASA has balls. Perfect ice cold superconducting niobium coated shiny balls.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

You sound disappointed. You should never let other people (no matter what their important title) tell you what is possible or not possible. We are all still children inside. The only person who can limit how far you might travel is you.

If you as a human could travel at the speed of light it would take you approx. a second to get to the moon. What are you waiting for.

I am not just trying to cheer you up. I have been doing my own space-time experiments.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I hope they're aware that stars move over time; do you think they took into account the movement of stars? I really hope they did. Regardless, this is an amazing find.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05
I don't think that this discovery precludes any type of "warping" or artificial manipulation of the space time field. It's a great read and deserves a star and a flag; however, I think what is important to realize here is that the more we understand and prove these theories regarding the universe and world we live in the closer we will get to interstellar space travel. If the space race hadn't have died down with the USSR we may have seen a manned Mars mission and a manned orbit around Venus (was a USSR project at one point), and who knows where else. IF major funding can get to NASA and people start realizing the commercial and scientific values of it (all the minerals that could be mined, and the fact that for our survival as a species, at one point we will have to find another planet to live on), then I think we will see vast leaps in our ability to travel long distances in space. The Orion project was also very interesting; look that up as well for good reading.

Don't despair. I honestly think we will be capable of at least light travel in the next 200 years, and perhaps FTL. But who knows.
Thank you for your post I agree with you and the OP. I have to say this is one of the main reasons I joined ATS I thing its one of the most important things we have facing the human race if we don't find a way to get into space to mine and other things we can kiss are race good by. I also look around me at all the lies and corruption and it gets to me and makes me wonder if we will ever wise up and start doing whats right for humanity.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

can you please share your blue print i wanna leave earth now...

edit on 4-5-2011 by pitchdragon because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2011 by pitchdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

You sound disappointed. You should never let other people (no matter what their important title) tell you what is possible or not possible. We are all still children inside. The only person who can limit how far you might travel is you.

If you as a human could travel at the speed of light it would take you approx. a second to get to the moon. What are you waiting for.

I am not just trying to cheer you up. I have been doing my own space-time experiments.

Johny Thank you for your post and your help, I think what your talking about is Astral projection en.wikipedia.org...
I have to agree that what you are talking about is one of the keys we can use. I as a lot of us have dreams of working and living in space for the betterment of the mankind not just the soul or spirit but the body and every assents of our being. Wouldn't it be awesome to wake up on a space station that had artificial gravity, walk to your transport ship and launch to go get a load of what ever to take to Mars unload then load up a load for earth and deliver that load and dock back at your space station home at the end of the day. This is what one day some of us will be doing if humanity steps away from war and puts money into the future of the human race. The science we are talking about here is another key that could open a door to many more keys and doors or to a wall. Awesome thread!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarBeyondDriven69

Thank you for your post I agree with you and the OP. I have to say this is one of the main reasons I joined ATS I thing its one of the most important things we have facing the human race if we don't find a way to get into space to mine and other things we can kiss are race good by. I also look around me at all the lies and corruption and it gets to me and makes me wonder if we will ever wise up and start doing whats right for humanity.

Dificult to say, but as I said before, lets hope and put some faith on people. We can do wonders.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ledzeppelin489

Another interesting bit is that that experiment was launched 47 years ago. I wonder how much more programs are running in the space.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

I think it's more than just the science, which is amazing in and of itself. It's all the secondary technologies that are developed to get at the science! Just from this one experiment we get drag reduction technologies, magnetic shielding, and supergyros. So who knows what will came out someday?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Amazing those little inch and a half balls are smother than planets such as earth, if they were at equal sizes, that's truly amazing. Think about it, the highest bump on earth is less than 5 and a half miles high, on a nearly 25,000 mile circumference.

I'll look stupid doing the math, but that's a bump like 0.00022 height to circumference deviation for earth, and those little balls are smoother than that.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

This means we cant even think about anti-gravity? Or they will find a way to manipulate, distort, or control that warping?

I think that this actually proves the warping of spacetime.

I am not sure why you have drawn the conclusion that this would preclude anti-gravity.

If you can warp spacetime, then a warp drive as theorised by Alcubierre is quite possible.

Nor does it preclude the discovery of an inverse gravitational effect (the effect of the cosmological constant appears to operate like an anti-gravitational force).

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Because I think the energy to do that should be "montruous". But I am one of the people that wants this become a reality. So lets hope we find a way to control this.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Yeah, the energy required would be monstrous but at least we now have proof that money spent to warp space would not be wasted.

Also, the frame dragging effect around supermassive black holes offers all sorts of possibilities of wormholes and time travel too

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

We are too good at creating limits for ourselves. If we create limits we have to come up with solutions.

Its like a mobile phone. How many mobiles do people own around the world paying money to talk to family and friends. We already have a perfectly good transmitter and receiver inside our skull.

Somebody always creates a problem so they can sell you the solution. You already have all the means necessary but haven't bothered to read the operating system for yourself.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Yeah, don't be disappointed.

See it this way.
If the Earth can warp time and gravity. Then maybe a machine can do it too!!

edit on 2011-5-5 by tomten because: spell correction

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join