It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens and Religion (Belief vs Knowing)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Considering that the universe is roughly 15 billion years old, it stands to reason that some aliens are likely vastly older than our civilization. Along similar lines, if aliens are visiting/monitoring this planet, they definitely must have mastered FTL. Of course from our physical standpoint, FTL is so theoretical, that it really lies at the very edge of our understanding of reality.

Given these types of thoughts, can we acknowledge a chance that aliens know the plain truth about life? They require no "belief system," because they're quite aware of their true origins and the meaning behind it. There is a substantial difference between believing something and knowing something.

Do you think the aliens have beliefs and religion like we do? Or do you think they know the absolute truth?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Unless they come from 'the other side' I don't think they would know the absolute truth. They would be in the same proverbial boat as we're in, in regards to that. They might have more scientific proof of things but they would still have to speculate about a lot of it.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
In 1977 I read a sci/fi book by a man named Stefan Denaerde. It was a tale of meeting an alien craft at sea and spending several days on their craft at which time he asked them about their society and religion. The story I found to be very plausable and their religion interesting. It sounded to me at the time that it could easily be an extrapolation developed from earth philosophy.

Anyway he has since come out and stated that it was not a fictional story but in reality a truthful account of his three day "class" with the alien race.

In any event, since all I might have to offer you is speculation, here is at least speculation which may or may not come from the aliens mouths.

"Operation Survival Earth"

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I would have to say they have beliefs or religion like us. I think the cingularity (architect) is going to keep the origins of life to himself. If anyone else found out the origins of life and could recreate things such as an architect did then it wouldnt make the architect so special anymore. The architect would be vulnerable, possibly detectable and maybe even destroyed. Just think, if we know how or what created the beginning if we studied and mastered it long enough we should be able to duplicate it and create anything imaginable from nothing.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
Considering that the universe is roughly 15 billion years old, it stands to reason that some aliens are likely vastly older than our civilization. Along similar lines, if aliens are visiting/monitoring this planet, they definitely must have mastered FTL. Of course from our physical standpoint, FTL is so theoretical, that it really lies at the very edge of our understanding of reality.

Given these types of thoughts, can we acknowledge a chance that aliens know the plain truth about life? They require no "belief system," because they're quite aware of their true origins and the meaning behind it. There is a substantial difference between believing something and knowing something.

Do you think the aliens have beliefs and religion like we do? Or do you think they know the absolute truth?

What does FTL mean?

Like you said their could be an intelligent civilization with billions of years of experience and knowledge. It took us roughly 50 years from the time we invented the automobile to the time we flew to the moon. Imagine what we could do with 50 million. I'm sure we would undoubtedly know the truth of reality by then and reached a point where there aren't any problems on our planet and everyone gets along peacefully. Our quality of life and quality of emotions by that time would be enriched beyond comparison by that point.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My husband and I were watching some UFO show on cable and they were making a big deal about the Egyptians showing UFOs in their heiroglyphics. In the show, they showed the actual heiroglyphic and it looked very strikingly like a helocopter. My husband asked why aliens would fly helocopters if they could do interstellar travel?

It's a good question! Are they simply not as advanced as we thought? Or maybe just not on the same time frame?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cesearesque

Maybe airplanes and helicopters are the best form of transportation within our gravitational field.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

Many of those who believe in UFOs and aliens believe what you think, that these beings know the truth behind everything, creation itself. Of course you have your malevolent and benevolent aliens. Many people believe the benevolent ones are here right now, in large fleets waiting for Mankind to awaken and become aware. Being that its drawing so near to the famed 2012 it's believed these aliens are here right now, intervening on our behalf behind the scenes protecting us from our Secret Government (NWO types).

Message from the Pleiadians. I think this is a 16 part series. If nothing else, its the most fascinating story you've prolly haven't heard before. So good you wish it to be real.
www.youtube.com...

YouTube IN5D. There's 165 video's you can check out. All good stuff, whether you agree with it or not.
Interview with David Wilcox (I'm a huge fan of Ancient Aliens & that's how I found out about him)
www.youtube.com...

Esoteric Agenda
www.youtube.com.../u/2/FJiCU6Jw0Co

The Evolution of Indigo Children, Indigo Adults and Crystal Beings
www.youtube.com.../u/39/WLH3MageB6M

AMAZING 10-10-10 UFO COMPILATION!!!
www.youtube.com.../u/33/eTp8Gv0Ll8Q

edit on 2-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2011 by Swills because: apparently I can't figure out to copy and paste a youtube link the youtube link thinggggg

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cesearesque

My husband asked why aliens would fly helocopters if they could do interstellar travel?

IF indeed they were helicopters, why does it necessarily have to be aliens flying them?
Why couldn't it have been our ancestors flying them?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I would say that it would all have to depend on how advanced they actually are. If they have mastered FTL, then that does not necessarily mean they have mastered everything about the universe.

They could have stumbled onto an even older (Extinct) civilisations FTL systems, and adapted them to suit their technology, and not actually be billions of years old.

Though, they very well could have their own ideas on now the universe was created and by what. I think they could be very much like us in that respect. It's really an open question, and if/when contact is made we'll probably find out.
edit on 2-5-2011 by SnedsDawg because: Clarity

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Arthur C. Clarke once said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I think we would be like children to them technologically. But I don't care how long they've been around, if they're self aware, they have questions just like we do. I doubt they would have it all figured out.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think they would be like us. Some would have become atheist and some would have a belief or faith in something based on their heritage and history. Faith is not usually reconciled by Science. So, even if they did figure stuff out that we can only dream of, a large faction of them would continue to believe in whatever their faith taught them.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cesearesque
My husband and I were watching some UFO show on cable and they were making a big deal about the Egyptians showing UFOs in their heiroglyphics. In the show, they showed the actual heiroglyphic and it looked very strikingly like a helocopter. My husband asked why aliens would fly helocopters if they could do interstellar travel?

It's a good question! Are they simply not as advanced as we thought? Or maybe just not on the same time frame?

Good question. I've asked that myself. The one answer that makes the most since to me is that the Aliens had told or shown them aerodynamic designs that they must first accomplish before they will understand the next phase of travel.

Since I don't believe in time travel, I ruled out that possibility.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

What does FTL mean?

Like you said their could be an intelligent civilization with billions of years of experience and knowledge. It took us roughly 50 years from the time we invented the automobile to the time we flew to the moon. Imagine what we could do with 50 million. I'm sure we would undoubtedly know the truth of reality by then and reached a point where there aren't any problems on our planet and everyone gets along peacefully. Our quality of life and quality of emotions by that time would be enriched beyond comparison by that point.

FTL = Faster than Light.

I like the very positive nature of your post! I tend to agree with you.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cesearesque

It's definitely an oddity and I believe that is the significance of it. Let's look at what we do know:

1) Egyptians didn't have helicopters according to modern history

So therefore we are forced into 2 possibilities:

1) It's possible Egyptians drew anything they imagined and they imagined something that looked exactly like a helicopter.

or

2) Aliens who have access to fundamental sciences like "time travel" or something like that and gave the information to them. Being aware of humanity's ascension in evolution... every single "slice" of "time" perhaps they have means to put these images in your mind to help guide our evolution. Like the mind of an Egyptian. Certainly there is record of modern day "UFO abductees" reporting being shown "future scenarios" in their mind as well as "past events," even past lives. It's logical to assume that people in ancient times also had similar experiences. However, since the experiencer rate is probably small like 1 part in 1000, it has become a statistical anomoly that is thrown out the window in most western societal circles.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by coldfiremx
I would have to say they have beliefs or religion like us. I think the cingularity (architect) is going to keep the origins of life to himself. If anyone else found out the origins of life and could recreate things such as an architect did then it wouldnt make the architect so special anymore. The architect would be vulnerable, possibly detectable and maybe even destroyed. Just think, if we know how or what created the beginning if we studied and mastered it long enough we should be able to duplicate it and create anything imaginable from nothing.

You seem so worried about the architect getting destroyed that I find that a bit implausible. I don't think the architect would fear death if he designed himself well.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ultraman2011
Faith is not usually reconciled by Science. So, even if they did figure stuff out that we can only dream of, a large faction of them would continue to believe in whatever their faith taught them.

Oh is that so? Did it not take faith for scientists to believe in the atom even though it was too small to see?

Also, how can we consider these aliens intelligent if they believe in "whatever their faith taught them" vs an acknowledged fundamental truth in their society? Wouldn't that be like someone believing in flat earth today?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Alas, I don't have the time to kook check every individual and/or video. However, I do believe mankind is getting close to a big moment.

There are certainly reasons to expect aliens to be popping in and out. We have to seriously entertain the possibility that we could be refugees from another star system. This isn't even our "home" planet. We have to seriously entertain the possibility that we were created by aliens. And like a good scientist, they come back to monitor the experiment. In the meantime we have gotten a bit smarter and started practicing our own science. We have developed polluting technologies that might be harmful to the longterm viability of the planet and mankind. If this is true, perhaps some aliens monitor the chemical composition of our atmosphere and how changes could effect our species. We have the means to really mess things up on Earth with our nuclear weapons, so they may monitor our use of those. Anyways, the point is there are many reaons for them to be here... from the very material/physical to the more spiritual side of things.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The question implies that none of the religions of earth are the real truth of the universe. Believers would disagree.

I don't see why you say that aliens 'must have mastered FTL' . There is no particular reason to believe that it can be mastered. It could very well be an absolute limitation of our universe.

Personally, I see belief in aliens (at least the earth-visiting variety) as a pseudo-religion itself. It's not a full on religion by any means. There is no origin or afterlife myth, there is no philosophy and no moral code. However, it does have the messiah stink all over it. The hope that somehow, something amazing is going to happen that will change everything so all the silly stuff I don't like about life won't matter anymore because what's really important will be much clearer. A kind of Deus Ex Machina for our lives, society, etc. It's fine to hope for stuff like that but, if there's nothing you can really do to help it come about, it's not really worth any of your time.

I say all this fully aware that I have my own pseudo religion with a messiah in the form of the technological singularity. Will it really happen? Who knows. I'd like to think so but I can't let it affect my daily life.

top topics

join