It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

6÷2(1+2)=?

page: 11
15
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon
 

you sir should explain your logic since the basics seem to escape you.
i make no false claims just the facts. please, explain your linear thought behind this abstract presentation and do tell just how are the rules of distribution applied, exactly.
tips: oakroadsystems.com...
edit to add: from the link above, click the "multiply/divide over add/subtract" link for more information
edit on 2-5-2011 by Honor93 because: add text




posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by exponencial
 


The difference is the calculators capabilities. That is my understanding of it. I bought the wrong calculator for my class and it was giving me the wrongs answers because of the electronics. I have no idea of telling whether anyone has any kind of degree and I am no expert. Seeing as I am in pre-algebra!

This question seems trivial when math is so definitive.



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93
 


Parenthesis first. Exponents next. Multiplication and /or division left to right, Addition and/or subtraction left to right. That is how Order of operations work. This is what the general (i.e. 100%) of mathematicians agree on. Seems simple.

Distribution does not even apply to the equation as distribution is generally a facet of algebra and not of non-algebraic equations. This is just a case of misunderstanding the principles of the order of operations. Take it or leave it, I just thought I would help clarify, but seeing that simple explanations to simple problems never satisfy certain types....
edit on 2-5-2011 by IamBoon because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
ok, i confess, my breakdown is sloppy (old habits die hard)
so, let's go with the rules and break it down correctly ...
6 / 2(1+2)
6 / (2x1)+(2x2)
6 / (2+4)
6 / 6
= 1
any more silly questions?
pssssst ... i'll go with the Casio if we have to choose calculators ... at least their early versions were around when i learned math.

edit on 2-5-2011 by Honor93 because: for humor




posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93
 


6/2(2+1)=
parenthesis....
2+1=3
6/2(3)
No exponents.
Division/Multiplication left to right
6/2= 3
ok.....
3(3)
Division/multiplication left to right
3*3= 9

Distribution is not used as it is not necessary for the problem. This is FAR more basic than that.

p.s. if it is not understandable yet I suggest every teacher and mathematician is wrong in favor of your opinion.
edit on 2-5-2011 by IamBoon because: I wish it was for humor but I think this is serious.



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon
 

you are conveniently ignoring the order to multiply the contents of the parenthesis ... either way you calculate it, 2x1+2x2 or 2x3 ~ sum of the [1+2] expression~ = 6, not 3 ... you cannot ignore the order to multiply the factors within as though it doesn't exist.

edit on 2-5-2011 by Honor93 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I know you people can't spell (a lot/alot/allot) (there/their/they're)
(to/two/too) but really, please stay right away from the mathematics.

6÷2(1+2) = (6÷2)*(1+2) = 3*3 = 9

Or in your terms: six cheeseburgers, divided by two people, ...



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Fabless
 


The way you do it arrives at the same answer, but you cannot always add those parenthesis. Just don't add anything! Answer is 9....



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93
 


You do not do that unless you are comparing quantities by elimination method or simplifying expression which means you DO NOT SOLVE THEM... So saying = is not correct and does not apply and if comparing quantities you need two or more variables(the answer being one of them ) for the method to even be necessary.



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
Distribution is not used as it is not necessary for the problem.

excuse me but mathematical distribution is an absolute, not a variable to use at your leisure.
who taught you such a thing?
the equation is straightforward ... what you convey is to calculate the sum of the parenthesis as an independent calculation somehow separate of the multiplication (higher order) accompanying it. that is breaking the rules.


A simple rule can help you remember how you can combine operations and how you cannot — which distributions are legal and which are illegal.
The Solution

Think of a small house. It’s got a basement, a ground floor, and an attic. You can’t jump right from the basement to the attic, can you? But you can take stairs between the basement and ground floor, or between the ground floor and the attic.

You combine operations just like that. If the operations are on adjacent levels, you can combine them; otherwise you can’t. What are the levels? Forget PEMDAS; there are really only three operations to be concerned with:

house floors ~~ operations
attic ... ~~ powers and roots
ground floor ~~ multiply and divide
basement ~~ add and subtract

And the rule is very simple:
You can distribute any operation over an operation one level below it.
There are no other distributions.

oooops, edit to add source: oakroadsystems.com...
edit on 2-5-2011 by Honor93 because: add source



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon
 



The parenthesis aids in the understanding; it doesn't change the order
of the calculation. Yes, the answer is still - and always will be - 9.



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
hehehehahahaha, what a vision folks ... this appears to be the 'new' math which will explain how our deficit has been manipulated to a more acceptable satisfaction level
or perhaps how the newest expenses of Obamacare will be woven into the fabric of the grand solution.
or ... perhaps that's how tptb figure our new employment numbers ... hmmmmmm, one does wonder.



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93
 


Relating math to extraneous and unaffiliated viewpoints is not necessary. I am sure it is a fallacious type of argument as defined....

nizkor.org...

The answer changes to 1 if the problem is expressed and arranged differently .... which is key.

6
------
2(2+1)

is different than 6/2(2+1)=

Why? Ask the experts who find it more coherent that way. I will ask a professor tomorrow.
edit on 2-5-2011 by IamBoon because: research into why there is confusion because it is interesting to see what happened.



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
Order of Ops

www.purplemath.com...

www.mathgoodies.com...

www.aplusmath.com...
how far can u get?^^^^

Distribution.....

en.wikipedia.org...

www.coolmath.com...

hmmmm, interesting links ... shame none of them apply to this topic.
roots and radicals?
distribution "theory"? in higher mathematics applies to this conversation how exactly?
from your "purple" link ...

The order of operations was settled on in order to prevent miscommunication, but PEMDAS can generate its own confusion; some students sometimes tend to apply the hierarchy as though all the operations in a problem are on the same "level", but often those operations are not "equal". Many times it helps to work problems from the inside out, rather than left-to-right, because often some parts of the problem are "deeper down" than other parts.

hence the order to multiply the lower level addition in parenthesis.

"mathgoodies" doesn't apply either because they do not explain or provide an example of an "order" upon the calculation in parenthesis. 6 x (5+4) is the same and calculated the same as 6(5+4) ... basics my friend.
6 x (5+4) = 54 whereas ... 6(5+4) = (6x5) + (6x4) = (30 + 24) = 54
the expanded method does not produce a different result.

and as for your interesting calculation tester ... got any challenging ones? even the negatives aren't a challenge, been there, done that



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
reply to post by Honor93
 


Relating math to extraneous and unaffiliated viewpoints is not necessary. I am sure it is a fallacious type of argument as defined....

nizkor.org...

The answer changes to 1 if the problem is expressed and arranged differently .... which is key.

6
------
2(2+1)

is different than 6/2(2+1)=

Why? Ask the experts who find it more coherent that way. I will ask a professor tomorrow.
edit on 2-5-2011 by IamBoon because: research into why there is confusion because it is interesting to see what happened.

no red herring here ... i just stated an opinion and how this math and the interpretations of it will lead to much disgust and dissension in our daily lives via tptb. i didn't address you specifically.

the fraction stated above is the correct interpretation and order to process this equation/expression/problem and when done properly, the answer is consistently "1".



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

Originally posted by IamBoon
Order of Ops

www.purplemath.com...

www.mathgoodies.com...

www.aplusmath.com...
how far can u get?^^^^

Distribution.....

en.wikipedia.org...

www.coolmath.com...

hmmmm, interesting links ... shame none of them apply to this topic.
roots and radicals?
distribution "theory"? in higher mathematics applies to this conversation how exactly?
from your "purple" link ...

The order of operations was settled on in order to prevent miscommunication, but PEMDAS can generate its own confusion; some students sometimes tend to apply the hierarchy as though all the operations in a problem are on the same "level", but often those operations are not "equal". Many times it helps to work problems from the inside out, rather than left-to-right, because often some parts of the problem are "deeper down" than other parts.

hence the order to multiply the lower level addition in parenthesis.

"mathgoodies" doesn't apply either because they do not explain or provide an example of an "order" upon the calculation in parenthesis. 6 x (5+4) is the same and calculated the same as 6(5+4) ... basics my friend.
6 x (5+4) = 54 whereas ... 6(5+4) = (6x5) + (6x4) = (30 + 24) = 54
the expanded method does not produce a different result.

and as for your interesting calculation tester ... got any challenging ones? even the negatives aren't a challenge, been there, done that



It isn't challenging, but as I admitted I am not an expert. And I am going to find out from a professor tomorrow because arriving at 2 answers from the same equation is nonsense. I can see what you are saying, but can you see where I am coming from? Many sites say to do what I am implying yet, some sites imply you are right. Same with the calculators. If he tells me different than from what I am taught in the same school then my teacher will have to answer.

If not then will you answer?



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93
 


I get it now.... what you are saying and I believe I am taught wrong... THANK YOU!

Because and ONLY because the first operation is Division does the underlying set of equations become distributed amongst themselves right? Which is obvious when written as a fraction. Right?



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
And I am going to find out from a professor tomorrow because arriving at 2 answers from the same equation is nonsense. I can see what you are saying, but can you see where I am coming from? Many sites say to do what I am implying yet, some sites imply you are right. Same with the calculators. If he tells me different than from what I am taught in the same school then my teacher will have to answer.
If not then will you answer?

first, i am glad to hear you care enough to ask
good for you !


because arriving at 2 answers from the same equation is nonsense.

welcome to adulthood
... this is only the introduction phase ... just wait ... it gets more complicated.


but can you see where I am coming from?

absolutely, and once upon a time, i agreed ... then the 'rules' kicked in


as for the rest ... my heart bleeds for your generation. i liked it better when we had reliable (though sparse) information at our 'almost' fingertips.
don't go too hard on your teachers, often, they weren't taught well either and many just don't care.
eventually, you will see the only answer is before you, just not via the simplest or easiest route.


If not then will you answer?

answer what exactly, i must have missed that one ... if you mean this topic question, my answer remains the same ... "1"



posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
reply to post by Honor93
 


I get it now.... what you are saying and I believe I am taught wrong... THANK YOU!

Because and ONLY because the first operation is Division does the underlying set of equations become distributed amongst themselves right? Which is obvious when written as a fraction. Right?

B I N G O ... you've earned a star
however, check with a teacher about that 'only' word ... i'm too tired to remember if that is so ... mostly so but there may be an exception to that as a 'rule' of thumb. Your are quite welcome ... u just made my rough day worthwhile

Thank You



new topics

top topics



 
15
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

log in

join