It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Georgia 'shelling South Ossetia'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The leader of Georgia's breakaway province of South Ossetia President Eduard Kokoity, Has said it has begun firing on one city and several towns as reported by Russian news agency Interfax.And two people have been reported to be killed.

BBC
President Eduard Kokoity said forces were firing on its main city Tskhinvali and on several villages in the region, Russian news agency Interfax reported.

A Tblisi spokesman denied an attack and accused South Ossetians of shelling villages populated by ethnic Georgians. The region broke from Georgia after a bloody war in the early 1990s and wants to be united with Russia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related Links
Russian Presidency
Georgian parliament
Analysis: Georgia's other challenges
Country profile: Georgia
Timeline: Georgia

Looks like to me just built up tension and there letting of steam I�m not up-to-date on the relationship between Ossetians and Georgians would like to hear some of your comments on it. I had a qwick look over some old bbc news posts just seems bad blood but both want to reunite with russia.

[edit on 29-7-2004 by SE7EN]

[edit on 29-7-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
anyone know if the BTC (Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan) pipeline goes through any of these disputed regions?

-raven

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Tblisi proper isn't too far from South Ossetia, I think. Georgia is not that big a place. I'd guess that the BTC comes within 50 miles of south ossetia, as it passes through Tblisi.

DE

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
So could this out burst have been over oil of gas what kind of pipe line is it do you know. I was reading new scientist or something the outher day and spotted how some russian oil owner is like the richest person to own x ammount of oil might have somethig todo with that who knows.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
i don't think this has much to do with the oil pipeline but is more along the line of what you stated, just built up tensions in a disputed region.

as far as the pipeline goes it taps one of the largest untouched energy reserves on the planet, the caspian sea basin. the pipeline, to be completed in 2005, will carry 1 million barrels of oil per day through azerbaijan, georgia, and turkey, to tankers in the mediterranean sea which will bring oil to the world markets for an estimated 40 years. the pipeline is being built by 11 international partners, led by UK based BP. this is a strategic pipeline to the west, tapping into previously only russian and iranian resources.

oh ya and it's built completely underground as well.

-raven

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Thats pretty impresive thanks for the information on that Rav!
think ill have a look into bp website and google some more.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
More news related to the fighting in Georgia reports deaths in clash""Bandits" killed them as they defended a road leading to ethnic Georgian villages, Mikhail Saakashvili said." at least 28 people have also been injured.

BBC NEWS
"All night they were firing from all types of weapons - mortars, artillery, everything was engaged," one South Ossetian fighter told Russia's Channel One Television.

The Georgian government said at least three Georgian villages were hit: Tamarasheni, Kurta and Achabeti.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related Links
Russian defence ministry

new topics

top topics

join