It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

recover email from the hard drive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
how do I recover email from my hard drive? it was deleted on aol, but i know there is a way to recover it, can anyone help me?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Does AOL save E-Mails to your computer? If not, you are out of luck. Trying to somehow get an email that was deleted from a browser based E-mail service would be like trying to get the text from a website you read two years ago and never saved. It just doesn't get put on your computer, so you won't be able to dig it back up.

If AOL does save E-Mails to your HD, then you could try and use some sort of recovery software such as the following:

www.magicuneraser.com...

www.uneraser.com...

www.drpu.net...

You could probably find some free versions online or something as well.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Check your AOL folder in Program Files. I am not, nor ever was, a fan of AOL so I can't specifically guide you. However, there may be a folder or some type of log file within the AOL program folders that records your history which may or may not contain a history of your sent and received emails.

There is also the alternative, if you can remember the specific emails in question, perhaps you can send an email to that person(s) and see if they perhaps saved a copy.

Other than that, I can't think of any other way to retrieve them. Unless you contact AOL and request a copy, as I do believe they database everything in some form or fashion. Good luck!!

edit on 4/30/2011 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Tell the FBI it was full of terroristic threats and they'll subpoena AOL for the email.

AOL probably has several years worth of all of your Internet related activity floating around their servers.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Oh and for future reference, if you have inquiries such as this, there is a forum specifically designed for just such inquiries, which is where I presume this thread will end up living.

BTS: Computer Help

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
what I am trying to do ids help my buddy, his wife is talking to an ex bf, we think she is going to take their kids and run, we suspect the emails have this info

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Then I would suggest calling the authorities and not handling this yourself!! Respectfully.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

we want the evidence in have BEFORE she runs...you know how HARD it is to get your kids back when mom runs??

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I can understand, but at least alert the authorities so you can file a report. I am not just randomly speaking here. I was Military Police. I can assure you, you need to involve the authorities. If there is evidence to support your claim, their ability to gain said information is going to be a lot easier to gain than it will if you try to do it on your own accord. They know their job, have faith that they will help you. You, in essence are the victim when you call them.

This sounds as though it is a civil matter, but by involving the authorities you are putting it on record. A judge will ultimately decide in the end. None the less, tell your friend, and you as well STOP trying to take it in your own hands. Use the system...please!

edit on 4/30/2011 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

top topics

join