It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circumcision ban will go to vote in San Francisco

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

... What get's me is this.... They DO know that circumcision can be reversed don't they? Uncircumcision

The results vary, and it is only cosmetic, the nerve endings will not be restored.

As for choice, you should be able to freely choose whatever you want for yourself. But your children are different persons with their own rights, and whether parents should be allowed to mutilate their genitals may very well be up to debate. If it is truly about choice, you would let the children choose for themselves when they grow up.

Any medical benefits are negligible, and may be outweighted by botched-up circumcisions altogether, so it should not be covered by public money in either case, IMHO.

edit on 30/4/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 30/4/11 by Maslo because: added a thing

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Great! i for the life of me cannot understand why this is an issue?

I mean come on, we are facing several dire situations and they want to talk about CIRCUMCISION!
who runs this city anyway?

The people of San Francisco need to put down their bongs, and get a clue. i would revolt!

Pax

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
but turn around and criticize female 'mutilation' that is a common practice in other countries (generally in the form of labia stretching) - which is done because it enhances the physical sensation.

Wait. I'm under the impression much of what is considered 'genital mutilation' in other countries is often the removal of labia and or clitoris which obviously prevents physical pleasure for the female.

Labia stretching does occur, but is not comparable to genital mutilation.

www.amnesty.org...

edit on 30-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: bold
extra DIV

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I don't think HIV should be the primary concern. HPV should. No one wants genital or anal warts.

Circumcision is barbaric. But the option is to end up like Farrah Fawcett.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
Great! i for the life of me cannot understand why this is an issue?

I don't think this new law really has anything to do with circumcision at all.

When this law is passed there will undoubtedly be legal challenges - likely predicated on the "freedom of practicing your religion" basis. The court will then be forced to render a decision which will establish case law. Case law sets precedents. Precedents are very important because future lawsuits are often decided on the basis of existing case law. California case law is is also influential in similar cases that come before courts in other states.

I believe this is an attempt to establish case law upon which basis other relious practices (let's say - WEARING A BURKA) will be protected by law.

Highly probable scenario.
edit on 30-4-2011 by robyn because: math error

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
So this could be considered a Cosmetic operation?
Well this should lead to all Cosmetic operations to be banned.

All San Francisco has done here is wasted taxpayers money! If this passes.....the right to make parental decisions for one's child will cause lawsuits a mile long. More wasted money.

Me and a few people here the only one's trying to keep common sense alive and well! We need to start a movement!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Wait. I'm under the impression much of what is considered 'genital mutilation' in other countries is often the removal of labia and or clitoris which obviously prevents physical pleasure for the female.

Depends upon which neck of the woods you are from. - I may be a bit outdated, but the WHO classified labia stretching as mutilation: www.enotes.com...

Although the World Health Organization previously included labial stretching within the context of "mutilation", the negative context of that is not supported by a study of Marian Koster MSc and Dr. Lisa Price of Wageningen University, Netherlands, resulting in the WHO to schedule amending their treatment of it, perhaps as "modification" instead, in February, 2008.

Though we've clearly established a key difference. While this group compares circumcision in the U.S. to female "circumcision" and genital mutilation going on in Africa and the Middle East... there's a pretty clear difference.

Circumcisions in the U.S. are done by doctors with sterile tools and medical facilities. In other countries, it's a guy with a random sharp object who says: "It's not rape if you yell, 'surprise!'"

Further - the process is done to prevent the female from experiencing pleasure and as a form of domination and control - to go so far as to be considered a nearly complete castration. Not to mention the whole forceful application of it, the completely unprofessional manner, etc.

It's like comparing a date you weren't so impressed with to rape.

And, I'll be flat-out honest... if me being circumcised deadens my nerves enough to give me an 'endurance' boost... I'm all for that.

It's apples and oranges.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Does anyone really care what happens in San Francisco? San Francisco slipped in to irrelevance decades ago and is essentially a hilly comic strip. I lived there for 2 years in the early 90s and got out. Tired of aggressive bums, tired of parades with men is chaps, tired of the litter, tired of the drug addicts sitting on the sidewalks. The city has been a cesspool since the 60s.

When Willie Brown was Mayor of San Francisco decades ago, he commonly said that the city was ungovernable, that all you could do was manage the extremes.

Its a joke, always will be a joke. The only folks who think that anything coming out of San Francisco is of any import are the folks living there.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

The WHO did make that classification in the past, to protests from several rights groups around the world. From what I understand, the classification has since been changed.

Regardless, your claim that 'genital mutilation' is 'generally labia stretching' is inaccurate. I'm curious where you got that impression in the first pace. Even the WHO never claimed it was the majority of instances, it merely included the practice in their overall definition.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by Maxmars

Does anyone really care what happens in San Francisco? San Francisco slipped in to irrelevance decades ago and is essentially a hilly comic strip. I lived there for 2 years in the early 90s and got out. Tired of aggressive bums, tired of parades with men is chaps, tired of the litter, tired of the drug addicts sitting on the sidewalks. The city has been a cesspool since the 60s.

When Willie Brown was Mayor of San Francisco decades ago, he commonly said that the city was ungovernable, that all you could do was manage the extremes.

Its a joke, always will be a joke. The only folks who think that anything coming out of San Francisco is of any import are the folks living there.

Actually, no.San Francisco rulings can often be shown to set precedent nationally.

Regardless of your personal and political opinions towards your experience in the city for 2 years, the significance of their decisions is something that shouldn't be ignored.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
non of that BS is true in fact it is the complete opposite... circumcision reduces the risk of HIV... it also reduces the spread of STD's and the drops the risk of female cervical cancer.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Read from those qualified to give an opinion...

Men Circumcised as Adults

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

funny how the number 1 argument for circumcision got banned, never mind poland.

the uncircumcised to my knowledge are great disease incubators, which is why they are referred to as the Great Unwashed. the increased sensitivity adds up to premature ejaculation.

reply to post by Maxmars

i wonder if there is a correlation between teen pregnancies and being uncircumcised it would be interesting if a study could be done.

female genital mutilation is a primitive form of mind control,a previous poster compared it to castration, agreed, but consider it more a form of lobotomy.

the fact that their own mothers hold them down while some body takes a piece of glass to their daughters clitoris is classic Stockholm Syndrome
edit on 30-4-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit & additional comment

edit on 30-4-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added correction

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

the uncircumcised to my knowledge are great disease incubators

Well i'd say that everytime an uncircumcised male takes a pee, A small amount of urine leaks into his foreskin (as opposed to making a pee patch on the pants of a circumcised male ) The relevance of this is that Urine contains UREA.....Which is an anti-bacterial.....So i guess that would make your statement incorrect.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Where else would I have gotten the impression from, other than my own life and experiences?

Which are continually expanding.

Debates or issues that I had been a part of surrounding genital mutilation tended to focus on that issue (stretching). Perhaps they were filtering the extreme and obviously destructive practices out to focus on a more 'gray' region of the issue.

That said - to compare the practices of female genital mutilation in third world countries to a medical procedure that can only be said to impact sexual performance in a subjective manner... is ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

the uncircumcised to my knowledge are great disease incubators, which is why they are referred to as the Great Unwashed.

lol, what? It is easy to keep it clean with a little washing. No disease incubators at all.

the increased sensitivity adds up to premature ejaculation.

Thats because the sex feels better with more sensitivity.

i wonder if there is a correlation between teen pregnancies and being uncircumcised it would be interesting if a study could be done.

Yes, there is. The more uncircumcised, the less teen pregnancies there are. Just compare the US with European countries...

20 reasons not to circumcise babies:

sagaciousmama.wordpress.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

while i've never taken a urine bath i'm well aware of the therapeutic value thereof
while i've never drunk the stuff as a student of shamanism i'm aware it can be drunk

while your point is taken consider all the pharmaceuticals and/or yeast/candida in most "civilized" pee
and reconsider.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

That may have been the case in the 1960s, but certainly no more. When was the last time a social trend was started in California, let alone San Francisco? It used to be "as things go in California, they will go in the rest of the country". Other than governmental mismanagement, California ceased to be a trend setter decades ago, which is one of the reason that other than illegals there has been an exodus from the state for over a decade.
edit on 30-4-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
In short, no pun intended.

I want my foreskin back, since I didn't have a choice.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join