It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OUTRAGED tobacco companies have blasted Kevin Rudd's new cigarette packaging plans, threatening to

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

OUTRAGED tobacco companies have blasted Kevin Rudd's new cigarette packaging plans, threatening to challenge them in court and seek compensation.

www.theaustralian .com.au

Earlier today the Prime Minister announced the tax on cigarettes would increase by 25 per cent from midnight tonight and that tobacco companies would be required to use plain packaging from July 1, 2012.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
So its come to this, isn't interesting how a persons self awareness is slowly being taken off the table as he ( meaning you us them, the consumers ) are simply incapable of making rational decisions.

We the state know very well what is best for you and if you doubt that then...see we are taking care of your health since the product you are purchasing is killing you.

We the state know whats best for you.

Have a nice day :-)

www.theaustralian .com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Kevin Rudd is foreign affairs..
He has nothing to do with this though the guy's a clown..

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
To make things that extra bit interesting now view who is behind this so called cause for concern and who is supposedly fighting the right to brand or lets say, allow you to make a conscious decision.

The tobacco industry in Australia is dominated by three transnational corporations with billions in assets: British American Tobacco, Philip Morris and Imperial Tobacco.

The Australian companies are all wholly owned subsidiaries of their overseas parents. The subsidiaries are not listed on the Australian stock exchange; the Big 3 have shareholders, and hold annual general meetings - but not in Australia.

www.ashaust.org.au...

Have a Nice Day :-)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by tristar

He has everything to do with this, as my post right under yours shows why he will be called to supply answers and to whom.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

reply to post by tristar

He is acting PM.... the article even claims Stephen Smith is Minister for Foreign Affairs!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

reply to post by tristar

He is acting PM.... the article even claims Stephen Smith is Minister for Foreign Affairs!

Indeed confusion and more confusion while supplying the solution. Simple 50's method used in the U.S. against the so called Nuke threat from Russia, its really a text book method. But was is interesting is to see within my second link, the boys and girls involved in this so called tobacco industry. Its an eyeopener.

Edit : An interesting side of politics, funny how funding someone and then they inturn decide to turn around makes no sense but then again makes perfect sense.
www.democracy4sale.org...
edit on 30-4-2011 by tristar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

reply to post by tristar

Well the article is over a year old so who the hell cares..
Though I guess you didn't notice that..

April 29, 2010

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This story was published in April 2010, hence referring to Kevin Rudd as the prime minister.

www.theaustralian.com.au...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Changing the packaging to plain olive green won't do anything. Smokers don't buy packs because of how they look, they buy because they're addicted and want to smoke. New smokers don't buy based on looks either, they buy because they want a pack of their own to smoke. Most people probably smoke the first time for free, from a friend, get hooked, and buy their own pack.

If anything, a grotesque image of a blackened lung or a family mourning over a grave on the pack would help deter smoking as the images slowly pick away at the smoker's conscience over their health.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

The news article linked to the opening post is dated April, 2010.
So is this old news, new news or a continuation or an update of an old news story?
Can't view the video at the moment and so only had your news link to go by.

Crapped my pants a bit when it said that tobacco is going up 25%...at midnight tonight.
So did this happen in 2010 or did it happen today? Weird thread.

edit on 30-4-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Not to sound smug , but my post is not about it being breaking news, but rather the concept and implementation of what is simply around corner.

As Rome wasn't built in a day, the same applies to changing humans social behavior. The point of it all is, to allow to be informed, allow to be guided and simply allow what we choose is best for you. You have no moral standing or right to think individually let alone make a rational decision.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Makes no sense. The same people claiming that they are so worried about our health that they want to control what we eat, what we drink, what we smoke etc. All the while making plans and attempting kill the whole bunch of us. Is it just a ruse in attempt to convince us that they actually care?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

reply to post by tristar

Well the article is over a year old so who the hell cares..
Though I guess you didn't notice that..

April 29, 2010

So here we area almost 1 year later and what has happened...?

AUSTRALIANS today got their first look at the plainer, uglier cigarette packets the Federal Government hopes will curb smoking among young people

* By Andrew Banks and AAP
* April 08, 2011 8:17AM
* 147 comments

www.news.com.au...
www.telegraph.co.uk... tml

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

reply to post by tristar

The outed PM is now acting PM?

Bloody hell, thank god I've been too drunk to notice, I'd have been outraged otherwise, and now I am...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
If anything, a grotesque image of a blackened lung or a family mourning over a grave on the pack would help deter smoking as the images slowly pick away at the smoker's conscience over their health.

Many moons ago my old man used to say that those adverts on the telly showing a smokers lung being dissected made him crave a ciggy.

I really doubt people would give a balloon filled with care to a homeless child on it's birthday about the packaging.

it's what's inside that counts. ugly rotten addiction.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hey I have a great idea. Instead of taxing the people and making an ugly design that cigarette smokers will have to carry around, quite embarassing. Why doesn't the government tax the cigarette company for adding such cancer causing ingredients. Just make tobacco cigarettes! Why do they have to add nicotine, tar, rat poison, etc...just keep cigarettes simple! ONLY TOBACCO! Hmm...I guess the government wouldn't have a reason to get more money from the people.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
You are free to do as we tell you.

We care about your health, but you can still buy the cigs of course, where can you smoke them?

No where.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

So here we area almost 1 year later and what has happened...?

Well Rudd is NOT acting PM and Steve Smith is NOT the minister for foreign affairs..

So the entire OP is nothing but past BS...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Since you seem to be on the ball, what's the issue the cigarette packets and its legislative bill. ?

<<   2 >>

join