It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OUTRAGED tobacco companies have blasted Kevin Rudd's new cigarette packaging plans, threatening to

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenfox83
Why do they have to add nicotine, tar

Umm but nicotine is the actual part of tobacco that makes you smoke it. It's the tobaccos natural insect repellant. It just happens to be one more poison that humans have an inclination for.

Tar is the result of smoking it. It's not added. No one adds tar, and in fact tar is not actually something you can add, what is it? it's the result of smoke condensing in a place, becoming a thick, black, smelly, sticky substance.

Hard to agree with an agreeable post when it misses the mark and wildly sprays argument without argumentative gun powder.

But I do agree... However, if I choose to inhale this, that is not anyone elses choice, yet it's creeping closer to the day when I as an adult who can vote and take part in polls, is refused the common decency of self regulation and the choice to do something.

And don't be complacent. Once something is outlawed, you will never stand a chance of repeal. EVER. the bastards are in complete control.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
And don't be complacent. Once something is outlawed, you will never stand a chance of repeal. EVER. the bastards are in complete control.

What exactly is being outlawed here? Gold letters? Red triangles? You can still buy smokes right?

Sorry but this thread is pretty funny. Looking at it all at once and you see "No one is gonna care, this won't change anything, but we are upset, don't like it, and want it changed back anyway!!! Grrrrrrr!!"
As long as my cigarettes are smokable I really don't care what the pack looks like.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
25-30% price hike last year, another 25% rise in price again this year. how greedy can this government and health ministry become in taking advantage of those who be addicted, didn't they earn enough from the previous money grabbing tax wrought to fund the plight of added health schemes and facilities in measure to accomodate any of these paying health or ill effected smokers who may need treatment many years down the track.

every ciggarette packet already has it's warnings and disturbingly colorful pictures in plain view for all to see, why would they stop at ciggarettes alone now, alcohol and food products could always become the next big money spinner for them to invest in. even with the price rises in place, those who want or need to smoke will, there's no changing that just to please the will of these so called caring health representitives of australia regulating this change. the rights of none but the powers that be is becoming made more and more likely in effect with every allowed deal raised, so much for being a commonwealth country or fair australia for all to have a say.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

What exactly is being outlawed here? Gold letters? Red triangles? You can still buy smokes right?

Sorry but this thread is pretty funny. Looking at it all at once and you see "No one is gonna care, this won't change anything, but we are upset, don't like it, and want it changed back anyway!!! Grrrrrrr!!"
As long as my cigarettes are smokable I really don't care what the pack looks like.

Haha and while you huff your smoke, keep ignoring the increasing "NO SMOKE" agenda which WILL end up with your ciggies being sold on the black market making you feel dirty to buy them and which will cause the cost to go up 500%. Oh and the law will be now able to follow you and bust you for procuring an illegal substance.

It's funny, in a we-cant-change-anything kinda way.

If you doubt it will happen, then do not doubt that it will be so extreme in it's effect that law will change to make it as close as possible.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Haha and while you huff your smoke, keep ignoring the increasing "NO SMOKE" agenda which WILL end up with your ciggies being sold on the black market making you feel dirty to buy them and which will cause the cost to go up 500%. Oh and the law will be now able to follow you and bust you for procuring an illegal substance.

It's funny, in a we-cant-change-anything kinda way.

If you doubt it will happen, then do not doubt that it will be so extreme in it's effect that law will change to make it as close as possible.

Gosh that sure is a frightening sounding fantasy slippery slope argument you just made up and all but...I really do not care. Smoking is not exactly doing me any favors and I cannot help but think that perhaps had they been less popular and harder to obtain when I was 12, I would not be so addicted to them today. But I was a free sovereign citizen at 12 so I had the right to smoke and all, yadda yadda. You cannot make things up, say they might happen, and then rest your case on that. Sorry. I really could care less if my smokes came 200 to a clear plastic bag or what. As long as they burn and they still do.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Never happen..
The Government makes too much money taxing cigarettes..

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
for a product which is still a legal substance to consumer choice, the government sure is clamping down and restricting every aspect to control and regulate it's use for those who continue to smoke, not just the adding of overpriced and unfair taxes that lines the pockets of a few, but the implimentation of plain packaging, a product which then can be viewed along the lines as being shuned by all, similar to other products sold in plain packaging in the past, out of sight and mind to only those who detest of such.

restrictions applied not only to the sale, but full control in non smoking private and public areas such as work, shopping centres, businesses, transport and now even your own home becoming under fire. there has been no give or take solutions, just the mandating whims of those in charge to conform the publics personal rights and follow and obey their every regulated move put forward.

edit on 30-4-2011 by redgy because: spelling mistake

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

"If anything, a grotesque image of a blackened lung or a family mourning over a grave on the pack would help deter smoking as the images slowly pick away at the smoker's conscience over their health."

I actually think this may be the best idea I've ever heard...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join