It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you saw someone being mugged would you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
If you saw someone being mugged would you.

1. Stand there and help after the thugs have finished their work

2. Run away and call police

3. Help them

4 just walk away like nothing happend and not get involved

I would send someone to call the police and then try to find the quickest way of helping them.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

if i was built like a brick steroid tank then i would intervene,but beaing small i would imediately fone the police and give the muggers description...not worth getting shot im afraid..

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Depending on the situation I would probably taze the offender.After that call the police.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I'd try to help them the best way possible, esp., if no phone or other help can be called to the situation. If it''s beyond me helping I'll go for help

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Id start hamboning! Hamboning will save your life one day!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
When I first came out of basic training about 7 years ago, I thought I was 7 ft and bullet proof. Me and a girlfriend at the time went to walmart at about 11pm to get some last minute items. I was witnessing 2 guys in their mid 20's who looked strung out on drugs, running their mouth and threatning this disabled navy vet who was in his early 60's and was very slow mentally. He had something wrong with him. I overheard the young guys saying he had cut them off. I sat back and watched until one of the boys dropped the old man with a punch. They got on top of him and were beating him bad. My girlfriend called the police and I went to try and break it up. I pulled one brother off and he pulled a knife on me. I beat the living hell out of both brothers until the police finally showed up and pulled me off.

I know this is a different situation then being mugged but it is very similar. I had to make a choice to watch an old man get beat senseless, or put myself in danger trying to help him. People tend to doubt what they are capable of but when you are faced with a fight or flight situation and you get the adrenaline going through your body, you can do so many things you never thought you would.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
reply to post by sugarcookie1

if i was built like a brick steroid tank then i would intervene,but beaing small i would imediately fone the police and give the muggers description...not worth getting shot im afraid..

Thats a good idea dave anymore you dont know who is packing a gun or on drugs not worth takeing a bullet for sure..

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by thatonedude
Depending on the situation I would probably taze the offender.After that call the police.

tazering someone is a good idea but not many i think carry that kinda thing i know i dont and he could stab or shoot you for even trying

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
I'd try to help them the best way possible, esp., if no phone or other help can be called to the situation. If it''s beyond me helping I'll go for help

I think if no phone or help around thats about all you could do but id sure hate leaveing then maybe the mugger would come back and kill them

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
When I was in Iraq their are many times where I can look back and wonder how I did something or got through something. I think humans have an instinct to take actions when a situation presents itself. Some of it could be adrenaline, fear, and compassion.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne
Id start hamboning! Hamboning will save your life one day!

whats hamboning i dont know that term

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Originally posted by thatonedude

tazering someone is a good idea but not many i think carry that kinda thing i know i dont and he could stab or shoot you for even trying

You would have to be slick about it.If he had a gun I wouldn't dare try, but a knife........dudes getten tazed

edit on 30-4-2011 by thatonedude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoverBoy
When I first came out of basic training about 7 years ago, I thought I was 7 ft and bullet proof. Me and a girlfriend at the time went to walmart at about 11pm to get some last minute items. I was witnessing 2 guys in their mid 20's who looked strung out on drugs, running their mouth and threatning this disabled navy vet who was in his early 60's and was very slow mentally. He had something wrong with him. I overheard the young guys saying he had cut them off. I sat back and watched until one of the boys dropped the old man with a punch. They got on top of him and were beating him bad. My girlfriend called the police and I went to try and break it up. I pulled one brother off and he pulled a knife on me. I beat the living hell out of both brothers until the police finally showed up and pulled me off.

I know this is a different situation then being mugged but it is very similar. I had to make a choice to watch an old man get beat senseless, or put myself in danger trying to help him. People tend to doubt what they are capable of but when you are faced with a fight or flight situation and you get the adrenaline going through your body, you can do so many things you never thought you would.

wow that was very brave !I dont know why people have to do this kind of violance to the eldery and disabled.makes no sence..Im glad you jumped in and stopped this not many would in fear of being hurt..thank you!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
It would honestly depend on my mood.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoverBoy
When I was in Iraq their are many times where I can look back and wonder how I did something or got through something. I think humans have an instinct to take actions when a situation presents itself. Some of it could be adrenaline, fear, and compassion.

Iraq would have been a scarey place you dont know whats lurking behind stores or on top of buildings ..but your right human instinct drives us on ..thank you for your reply

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

I know i would be scared but i do what i could to help and probley end up shot,,

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

yikes your mood i hope your not the one rescueing me ! lol

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

3. Help them

I would send someone to call the police and then try to find the quickest way of helping them.

When I was 17, I saw just this on a street not to far (say, 25-50 feet?) from a crowded street. I was very much a light weight. I like to think my low level of body fat is a reason that unlike when I was fat, before I was 13/14, by 17, I was in great areorbic shape according to my doctor. But even if I wasn't I honestly hope I would have still done the same thing:

First, I screamed like a girl, oh the shame a little girl, LOUD. Put one very (scarry) image in your mind; a cross between Pavoroti and Beverly Sills of classic "Lady with the horn's" opra. (My apologize ladies for my sexist comment. I DO NOT apologize for being "politicaly incorrect" Never have and won't start now. ) But hey that's what I did.

Then as all my screaming, send chills up the spne stuff I was doing I then just threw myself at the guy. I don't know why I did that. But DO NOTHING?! How could I live with myself? Not me. The guy did puch me in the face and broke my nose. I never saw a weapon, but even that I hope, at least, would not have made a difference. Can I be sure? No. Not unles, God I hope not happens agains. By the time this bastared was willing (and very able) to turn this little dude into "silly putty, but not happy putty, a smashed amalgham of tissue, asorted sundry's (?) and poo. (Thats not the toy bear by the way, not if your an American. ) and very nice cashual clothing and sensible, they had to be comfy, shoes. Not cheap, but we ain't talkin Harrod's guy's... people heard my pathetic girly screaming (very disgusting, how undignified) and in moment's people came swarming in as an invading army, any just jumped in to and came to help Go Team!!. Very soon (this was in Chicago, just off the Loop by the way) my hometown, though I no longer lived there.

All my love Chicago. Do try to get back as often as I can, thankfully my current company afords me client's down there.
edit on 30/4/11 by arbiture because: Added last two lines...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Would you really want me rescuing you if I was in a bad mood to begin with? Just kidding.
I was going to expound more but then I saw the clock and its after 3 am, but what the heck.
If I was feeling pretty confident that day, say job promotion or something along that line, I might be more likely to intervene myself.
If I was feeling particularly depressed, say bad break up, loss of a pet, ect. I might be more likely to walk away, or I may be more likely to do somethign stupid, its really hard to say.
On an average day I would phone the police. As much as I like to think I am pretty tough for a girl, unless the mugger was obviously weaker than me, I know I wouldn't be very effective.
edit on 30-4-2011 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture

3. Help them

When I was 17, I saw just this on a street not to far (say, 25-50 feet?) from a crowded street. I was very much a light weight. I like to think my low level of body fat is a reason that unlike when I was fat, before I was 13/14, by 17, I was in great areorbic shape according to my doctor. But even if I wasn't I honestly hope I would have still done the same thing:

First, I screamed like a girl, oh the shame a little girl, LOUD. Put one very (scarry) image in your mind; a cross between Pavoroti and Beverly Sills of classic "Lady with the horn's" opra. (My apologize ladies for my sexist comment. I DO NOT apologize for being "politicaly incorrect" Never have and won't start now. ) But hey that's what I did.

Then as all my screaming, send chills up the spne stuff I was doing I then just threw myself at the guy. I don't know why I did that. But DO NOTHING?! How could I live with myself? Not me. The guy did puch me in the face and broke my nose. I never saw a weapon, but even that I hope, at least, would not have made a difference. Can I be sure? No. Not unles, God I hope not happens agains. By the time this bastared was willing (and very able) to turn this little dude into "silly putty, but not happy putty, a smashed amalgham of tissue, asorted sundry's (?) and poo. (Thats not the toy bear by the way, not if your an American. ) and very nice cashual clothing and sensible, they had to be comfy, shoes. Not cheap, but we ain't talkin Harrod's guy's... people heard my pathetic girly screaming (very disgusting, how undignified) and in moment's people came swarming in as an invading army, any just jumped in to and came to help Go Team!!. Very soon (this was in Chicago, just off the Loop by the way) my hometown, though I no longer lived there.

All my love. Do try to get back as often as I can, thankfully my current company afords me client's down there.
edit on 30/4/11 by arbiture because: Added last two lines...

That was a brave thing you did ..thats how i would feel how could i not help ..But ive heard many people dont they just walk away and dont want to get involved some call the police and some dont i cant imagine doing this but people do..Ive never lived in Chicago or even been there but our hometowns are often were our hearts are mine is in minnesota were ive lived all my life..thanks for your reply

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join