It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Development - "Guns Are In Again"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Not that they have ever been unpopular, but I find it interesting to note that Walmart will start selling guns again as noted here:

Wal-Mart Brings Back Gun Sales
The move is just the latest sign that executives are returning to the company's roots after recent failed efforts to appear more upscale.

By InvestorPlace on Fri, Apr 29, 2011 8:19 AM

Wal-Mart (WMT) may be the world's biggest retailer, but that doesn't mean it has given up on growing. From planned grocery deliveries to inner-city residents to its recent purchase of a social-media company, there always seems to be something new in store.

The latest news, according to The Wall Street Journal, is that Wal-Mart will reload gun sales by cutting back on electronics floor space to make room for rifles, shotguns and ammunition at hundreds of U.S. stores.

But unlike previous failed efforts and some recent quirky initiatives, the return of guns and ammo is a return to Wal-Mart's roots -- something the company may sorely need.

Source: money.msn.com...

Of course they never totally got of these sales, at least not in Texas, as many stores here have always sold rifles, shotguns and ammunition for as long as their stores have been open.

And an interesting note on a more historical and/or consistent supplier of firearms, Gander Mountain, is now selling a variety of USED firearms.

Source: www.gandermountain.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yes!! hopefully I can get my hands on that pink shotgun i had my eye on a few years ago...

woohoo!! Now I just have to learn how to shoot a firearm.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
They still will not get my business.

I will still pay more somewhere rather than giving them my money.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Not enough to bring me back to Wal Mart except for a good deal on 9mm bulk every now and again.

As for Gander Mountain. My local store has had a rather solid used gun selection for years. In fact, as of last weekend they had 3 surplus Garands on the used rack. Nice!! They are just now promoting them and listing them through their website. Hey, buy online and have it transferred to your local store. They are getting smart in order to keep up with the likes of Gunbroker.com et.al.

That being said, I still do my best to support my locally owned and operated firearm store. It's tough for these guys to maintain the stock and selection of the larger stores.
edit on 29-4-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I wonder if they will sell American made guns like Colt, Remington, Smith & Wesson, or will they be selling cheap ass knock offs made in China.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
All walmarts in Oklahoma sell guns. The guns sold are not knock offs they are genuine Mossburg, Winchester, Remington, Marlin, and many others. They do sell some of the import firearms as well, like NEF, benellie and many others. They move a rediculous number of firearms thoughout the year here due to there not being many other options for places to purchase them. They also allow the ordering of firearms that are not on the shelf and ammunition as well. Knock them all you want but they do add a good service to gun owners.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
I wonder if they will sell American made guns like Colt, Remington, Smith & Wesson, or will they be selling cheap ass knock offs made in China.

They sell American made rifles & shotguns. I purchased a "Henry" 22 from them a few years back. One of the best American made rifles I have ever owned.

Source: www.henryrepeating.com...

The significance of this thread is more about the world largest retailer deciding to get back into the gun sales business on a nationwide basis, regardless of whether or not anyone likes Walmart; they are taking a pro-gun position. I shop there occasionally but am not a big fan of theirs, and actually prefer Target overall. I am sure that anti-gun activists everywhere are, or will be having fits over this news.......

edit on 4/29/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Might not be a bad thing.

I do hope they expand their list of accessories and cleaning supplies tho.

I also hope they get more in the way of ammo, not just variety, but also quantity. My local stores only seem to have a few boxes at a time.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
That is interesting. We have local shops and of course the high priced pawn and gun shops. Never owned a gun yet have always wanted to get one just not sure what kind. Any tips would be awesome, if that is allowed.

Only cause it is in the "survival" thread I have also noticed can goods have become oddly dirt cheap in my area.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If I were an American gun manufacturer, heck, if I made any product and labeled it as Made in America I would not even consider supplying to walmart. I just could not stoop to that level.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

If I were an American gun manufacturer, heck, if I made any product and labeled it as Made in America I would not even consider supplying to walmart. I just could not stoop to that level.

You can sometimes change opinions one person at a time. I think this comment from the "Henry link" I posted above was a good one, and maybe, just maybe, Walmart will start supplying more American made products in its stores, as it used to:

Dear Sir, Something frightening occurred this Christmas past: I realized that everything under the tree---almost everything in my house, for that matter---was made in China! This is scary! There was one exception: a Henry rifle that Santa brought me. What outstanding quality! Thanks for "keeping it in the USA," and for making a product that I can pass along to future generations---long after that Chinese crap is in the landfill. You folks rock!"

Jim Quinlan

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Wouldn't that be kind of self defeating when it comes to the economy of the USA? I am quite fond of the idea that they are selling products, that add jobs to the USA. Any USA manufaturer should get quite giddy at the idea that millions upon millions of people with have direct exposure to your product. Hate walmart all you want but if I manufatured a product that would be the one place I would want it.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Because walmarts business model would be entirely opposite of mine and I would not want my product stereotyped as "cheap" as with everything else they stock their shelves with. My business model would promote quality before quantity. My products would be made with the utmost pride, care and quality which walmart does not currently support. Would I not make as much money, probably not but my motivation would not be entirely money. I feel as if I made a superb product that I could still sell it, customers would seek it out regardless of where it could be obtained. If walmart changed their strategy I would consider it but not the way it is now.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

You hit the nail right on the head. The world's largest retailer adopting a progun stance is definitely something Sarah Brady and Soros et al did NOT want to see.

They've never stopped selling them here in central (rural) Florida, but I understand some more urban stores had.

Good for Wally World.

EDIT: This is an example of voting with our wallets. WM must feel there is a lot of money to be made selling firearms, despite any counter-pressure from the antigun nuts that might be applied to them.
edit on 29-4-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
wally world is still the cheapest place in my neck of the woods to get ammo still. under ten bucks for a box of federal 9mm, and under 13 for a box of 40S&W. The gander mountain in my area is crazy stocked though, their gun dept. looks like a friggin swat armory

edit on 29/4/11 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The Walmart near me has always had guns. It's mostly shotguns though.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The anti-gun advocates have already started their campaign:

Stringer, De Blasio, Anti-Gun Advocates Call on Bloomberg to Reject Walmart
By David Freedlander April 28, 2011 | 2:29 p.m

A coalition of anti-gun advocates are calling on Mayor Bloomberg this morning to join them in rejecting Walmart's plans to expand to New York City in light of a report that the big box retailer is trying to increase its sales of guns and ammunition as a way to boost its bottom line.

and here:

As the largest seller of firearms and ammunition in America, Wal-Mart does not belong in New York City," said Public Advocate Bill de Blasio. "I urge Mayor Bloomberg to continue his leadership on gun control by joining the fight against Wal-Mart coming to our City." The advocates note that Walmart decision to expand its gun sales and expand into New York City come as the retailer has faced 7 consecutive quarters of same store sales decline. Five years ago, the store agreed to stop selling hunting rifles and bullets at all but a third of its stores.

but note this update here:

UPDATE:

The Bloomberg administration passes along a statement pointing out that Walmart is actually a responsible gun seller since they go beyond the federal guidelines in order to insure that guns stay out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

"With Congress and the Administration unable to put in place common-sense rules to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, drug addicts and the mentally ill, our coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Guns reached out to Wal-Mart, and the company voluntarily agreed to go above and beyond what federal law requires to prevent guns from falling into the wrong hands," said John Feinblatt, Bloomberg's chief policy advisor. "If every gun dealer in the country adopted Wal-Mart's approach, or if Congress required it, thousands of lives would be saved every year."

Source: www.observer.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78

UPDATE:

The Bloomberg administration passes along a statement pointing out that Walmart is actually a responsible gun seller since they go beyond the federal guidelines in order to insure that guns stay out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

"With Congress and the Administration unable to put in place common-sense rules to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, drug addicts and the mentally ill, our coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Guns reached out to Wal-Mart, and the company voluntarily agreed to go above and beyond what federal law requires to prevent guns from falling into the wrong hands," said John Feinblatt, Bloomberg's chief policy advisor. "If every gun dealer in the country adopted Wal-Mart's approach, or if Congress required it, thousands of lives would be saved every year."

Now I am curious, just how does walmart alone accomplish this. What do they do differently?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Now I am curious, just how does walmart alone accomplish this. What do they do differently?

Remember Google can be your research friend....sometimes....

From a google search:

April 29, 2011 Vol. 11, No. 118
By Eric Lichtblau - Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON - Wal-Mart, the nation's biggest seller of guns, has quietly ordered its stores to adopt a tougher policy on gun sales that goes beyond the requirements of the federal government and is sure to provoke opposition from gun owners.

Wal-Mart executives, in an internal memorandum obtained by The Times, told store managers five weeks ago to stop selling firearms in cases where authorities were not able to determine whether the would-be buyers should be banned from owning a weapon.

Under federal law, if authorities cannot complete a criminal background check on a gun buyer within three business days, retailers are allowed to hand over the weapon even though the buyer's status is unclear. Nine states have more stringent standards, including California, where gun sellers must wait 10 days before completing a transaction. The company "decided to take the extra step toward keeping guns out of the hands of individuals who possibly ought not to have them," according to the memo.

Source: www.federalobserver.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
pssht.

I was into guns before guns were cool....

Isn't that the name of a country song? If not it should be.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join