It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First lupus breakthrough in 50 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

First lupus breakthrough in 50 years

www.monash.edu.au

Professor Mackay was the first to show that the overproduction of BAFF was driving lupus. In a follow up study, elevated levels of BAFF were discovered in patients with a number of autoimmune diseases including lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and Sjögren’s syndrome.

She said this was an exciting discovery as it implied that if BAFF production can be blocked, the entire cascade effect that resulted in autoimmune disease could be prevented.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I am ambivalent about this discovery.

After reading the press release from Monash University, and seeing a few echoes in articles on the web, it is clear that this is (or will be) a Big Pharma home run.

Professor Fabienne Mackay Head of the Department of Immunology at Monash University, discovered a new factor in the development of the disease, something known as BAFF - B cell Activating Factor.

It has led directly to the development of a medication called Benlysta, which was approved by the US Food and Drug Authority for release last month.

Now this "news" appears as if it was just released, although the US FDA approved it's use last month. The drug Benlysta impairs the users body chemistry making the offending natural immune response less effective. Presumably, this will be a great relief to the sufferers of such diseases as Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Manufacturers of the drug, GlaxoSmithKline designed their clinical trials in line with the insights from Professor Mackay’s experimental data.

Patented already.... I wonder how much the Australian taxpayers contributed to the research?

Well, at least some may suffer less... if they can afford the medicine.

www.monash.edu.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-4-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Wow that is some great news for patients who are suffering from thos diseases. Even better for Big Pharma, until there's enough different kinds of drugs on the market to cause competition..

Cool stuff

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Excellent thread Max...

I will apologize for not posting anything else, but i am forwarding your link to a close friend.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

That's quite alright. I hope the news is well met, and leads to comfort in any way possible.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I don't suffer from lupus but I suffer from early onset arthritis, degenerative disc disease, and fibromyalgia.

I can tell you, that as a chronic pain sufferere, you don't care about the effects of a med if it means relief. It could shorten my life 20 years, I would still take it, cuz i don't have a life now. And many, many chronic pain sufferers in agony feel this way. They will do anything for relief.

So if Big Pharma makes money off of it, I would be willing to pay.

this story is in reference to lupus sufferers, but basicaly notes how any chronic sufferer feels struggling day to day"

the spoon theory

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by tristar

That's quite alright. I hope the news is well met, and leads to comfort in any way possible.

Actually it was..i am currently on skype and speaking to him as i am typing this message.

It is simple human interaction that is required across the globe.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Hi there.

Don't want to burst the bubble, but unforunately, Benlysta, only helps 35-40% of lupus patients, at best.
It does not seem to effect lupus sufferers with organ involvement. Although, in the patients it did help-it helped with joint pain. That's a huge plus.

The only standard drugs there are for lupus are an anti malarial drug, steroids (often high dose steroids), and a chemotherapy drug. Plus pain killers. I don't know if this the drug lupus sufferers are hoping for...but-at least-it's a step in the right direction.

Benlysta approved: Which Lupus patients will benefit?

edit on 28-4-2011 by nerdyclutzyblonde because: I messed up the title of the linked article

top topics

join