It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Tell if your Religion is Stupid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I found this on the web earlier today and thought it an interesting topic to share. Enclosed is a clip from a blog that explains this mans take on how to know if your religion is 'stupid' or not.
Though this may be considered ridiculous to most for some reasons and not to others, I find it interesting for reasons which I will share later on if this thread goes anywhere.
With that said please share your evaluations of this mans work.

Excuse my absence for a bit, I am on vacation.
But I will write back as soon as I gain access to the net again.
Thanx. . .

Copyright March 12, 2007 8:16 PM CST
By Dr. Michael J. Bisconti

First, note that we are not talking about whether your religion is false. We are talking about whether your religion is stupid. The difference between falseness and stupidity, in the present context, is this:

Something is false when it is inconsistent with reality. Something is stupid when it is inconsistent with the nature and character of God.

Note that we are using the true, that is, biblical, definition of reality and the true, that is, biblical, definition of God. Now, inconsistency with the nature and character of God means requiring something that God’s nature and character do not allow. (For example, stealing is inconsistent with the nature and character of God; God’s nature and character, rather, support ownership and the preservation of ownership.) So, how do you tell if your religion is stupid? Well, there are several ways.

#1 Your religion is stupid if it declares that you cannot have a good afterlife unless you are a listed member of your earthly religious group.
In other words, if your religion declares that you must be listed on paper as a bona fide member of your earthly religious group (and/or one or more things equivalent to such a listing) in order to have a good afterlife, your religion is stupid. It is inconsistent with God’s nature and character to show favoritism toward either individuals or groups. These things are true regardless of your religion, whether it be some kind of Christianity, some kind of Judaism, some kind of Islam, some kind of Buddhism, or some kind of any other religion. We must comment, however, that God does show favor, which is different from favoritism. Favor does not result in escape from hell and deliverance to heaven but it does result in earthly and heavenly rewards. Favor is always the result of morally positive living springing from good motives. Note that escape from hell and deliverance to heaven is accomplished by faith in God in accordance with the Gospel (see The Gospel section at the end of this page).

#2 Your religion is stupid if it teaches that one or more of its doctrines can only be known by one or more of its religious leaders.

#3 Your religion is stupid if it makes people believe you are an abject slave to a higher power.

#4 Your religion is stupid (and actually moronic [extremely, extremely stupid]) if it requires you to be an abject slave of one or more other human beings.

#5 Your religion is stupid (and actually moronic [extremely, extremely stupid]) if it requires you to be an abject slave of one or more religious leaders.

#6 Your religion is stupid (and actually insane) if it requires you to suffer for absolutely no reason other than to please a higher power.

#7 Your religion is stupid (and actually insane) if it requires you to make one or more other people suffer for absolutely no reason other than to please a higher power.

#8 Your religion is stupid (and actually insane) if it requires you to kill one or more people for absolutely no reason other than to please a higher power.

#9 Your religion is stupid (and actually insane) if it requires you to make one or more other people suffer in order for you to have a good afterlife.

#10 Your religion is stupid (and actually insane) if it requires you to kill one or more people in order for you to have a good afterlife.

THE GOSPEL
Now, any religion that does not proclaim the Gospel (see below), while not necessarily stupid, is partially or completely false. For your convenience, here is the Gospel:

A person will go to heaven because God has promised that they will. The reason for his promise is that they have been rescued from the punishment of their sins. The means of their rescue was the suffering of the punishment by the Lord Jesus Christ in their place.

LF Nexus

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Hmm.. So this author believes that all religions are stupid if they are not Christian Mystics?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
How about your religion is stupid if you completely contradict god at the very core of your faith.

I am the LORD your God. You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve

The only church services Ive been to pray to an idol of jesus and put Jesus before god.
If Jesus is god why not just pray to god?

genuine question, if anyone has an answer I would be very interested to hear it. The answers Ive gotten from priests so far have been unsatisfactory.

To the OP great thread, I look forward to seeing what people have to say since you pretty much included every religion in at least one of your markers for stupidity.

Out of curiosity what denomination are you?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
God said," i did not give you the spirit of fear, but of Power, Love, and a sound mind." Yet The bible says to 'fear God'. now you tell me what is not stupid about that.

I have closed my eyes to religion recently because it is just an illusion. i have recently woken up and know who i really am (not human) and why i am here.

The easiest way to get to your so called 'heaven' is to just love everyone and treat people as you would like to be treated (hopefully positive).

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeeker7x3

Wow on one hand you dismiss religion on the other you tell us to do exactly what Jesus said was the entirety of the gospel and the laws handed down by the prophets...

Pretty good for an illusion eh?

Mathew 7:12.

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
How about your religion is stupid if you completely contradict god at the very core of your faith.

I am the LORD your God. You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve

The only church services Ive been to pray to an idol of jesus and put Jesus before god.
If Jesus is god why not just pray to god?

genuine question, if anyone has an answer I would be very interested to hear it. The answers Ive gotten from priests so far have been unsatisfactory.

To the OP great thread, I look forward to seeing what people have to say since you pretty much included every religion in at least one of your markers for stupidity.

Out of curiosity what denomination are you?

There is a lot to your question, it will require continuous responses; first of all go to waterofshiloh.com... and read up on what's written, and if you need to comunicate with me on the topic you can either go to a new thread on the subject, which I started on OFF TOPIC, titled Man, Life, God and Faith: The Mystery; or you can contact me at [email protected]. Peace be with you!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Hmm.. So this author believes that all religions are stupid if they are not Christian Mystics?

How about "all religions are stupid PERIOD"?

Jesus Christ was the most anti-religious person who ever walked the Earth. All religions are man's attempts to justify themselves before a Holy, Just God.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by rogerstigers

How about "all religions are stupid PERIOD"?

Jesus Christ was the most anti-religious person who ever walked the Earth. All religions are man's attempts to justify themselves before a Holy, Just God.

Well said! Religion is Satan's attempt to sway man by deluding the word of God; hence he took Jesus up to the mountain of religiosity and showed him all the kingdoms of the world, which are the religions, and said to him, "All this power I will give you, and their glory: for that is delivered to me; and to whomsoever I will I give it" (Luke 4: 5-8). And thus also the LORD said to Satan in Job 2, "Job might be subject to you, but not his life"!

Peace be with you!!!

top topics

join