It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Islam Spread through Sword?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Many has debated if islam spread by sword?

This guy puts the record straight with tiny historic Portion.

edit on 26-4-2011 by solid007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by solid007

I'm unable to watch the video because I'm at work (no streaming). Can you summarize for me?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Islam was no more spread through the sword than Christianity and Judaism was...

oh... wait...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
another thread by solid.... with minimal lines and some video...

dude if you're gonna make a thread put some effort into it!
if you're gonna do something make it your best.

waste of space

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Guess it depends on the time frame. For instance the Ottoman empire laid siege to Vienna.LINK Islam and Christianity have been involved it tit for tat battles for a long time. Neither side can say they are with out blood on their hands.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkofCain
another thread by solid.... with minimal lines and some video...

dude if you're gonna make a thread put some effort into it!
if you're gonna do something make it your best.

waste of space

Sorry man , im not good with words but next time i'll do my best buddy..cheers

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
christianity- protestants, catholicism, definitely were spread by the sword..

what is your point? what religion wasn't?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Islam has no place in western culture and is unwelcome in a society that put away the flat earth theory many years ago. Its akin to imprissoning Galileo for saying the earth orbits the sun. They can take their irrelevent and false belief system and go shove it. I have zero interest in it nor care to learn! At least the dinosaurs had the decency to die out. Perhaps islam should get a clue huh?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BattleFieldPredator

Well that's not very nice. What if I don't know anything but America, then where am I to go. lol

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Is the earth dependant on religion in order for you to discover it?.. Nope

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Islam like the Christianity was the alternative “way of life” against the “slavery” and “tyranny” dictated and controlled by the Jews and other "controlling tyrants”.

And sadly like the earlier “version” failed to deliver the “punch”.

edit on 26-4-2011 by amkia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

That's so "American" of you. You run the KKK right?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BattleFieldPredator
Islam has no place in western culture and is unwelcome in a society that put away the flat earth theory many years ago. Its akin to imprissoning Galileo for saying the earth orbits the sun. They can take their irrelevent and false belief system and go shove it. I have zero interest in it nor care to learn! At least the dinosaurs had the decency to die out. Perhaps islam should get a clue huh?

Please ”define” west.. West of ”what”..? And then the “culture”, what is culture to you if may I ask?

Second line..

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The political influence of Islam after Muhammad (pbuh) died was partly spread through military conquest, however the religion of Islam did not spread as a result of violence and conquest and often won converts as it presented itself as a sign of progress and a continuation of Christianity and Judaism.

Islamic society was at that time a large, positive development compared to most other places. Unlike most other societies Islamic rulers offered equality, protection of monotheistic religious minorities as well as the protection of peoples from the many tribal raiding parties and marauding armies which existed at that time. The same way that Christianity initially offered protection of the poor and weary, took in persecuted peoples and offered sanctuary, Islam done exactly the same. As far as the religion is concerned, at a time when most people couldn't read, weren't educated and in many cases knew nothing of their own faith, Islam prioritised education, learning to read and recite the Quran and many other practices which were initially surprising to many people.

Al-Andalus, Islamic spain is a great example of the initially tolerant and largely cosmopolitan society of the early Islamic empires. Religious communities were compelled to follow their own laws, had their own courts and merely paid an extra tax, levied as a result of not having to fight in the army or pay Zakat (alms)

Economically it would have also appeared as a welcome sight from many of the poorer peoples in which it's influence enveloped given the importance of charity in Islam and the defense of the poor and the weak.

It's fair to say that the religion of Islam DID NOT spread by 'the sword', it's laws and customs would likely have been a welcome sight to many people within both Christianity, Judaism and others who accepted Islamic rule and many accepted the Islamic religion. However, there are many cases where there were clashes between the expanding Islamic empire and the already established empires in the area however it's important to note that every religion in the world has this exact same history of clashing with the already established order, in that sense it is no different to the expansion of Christianity throught the Roman/Byzantine empire, it won it's converts with it's theological arguments, not with a military conquest.

"Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects Taghut (evil) and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trust worthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things. " (Qur'an 2:256)
edit on 26-4-2011 by lifeissacred because: spelling

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Now it's just spread through lies, political correctness, suicide bombers, and beheadings...........except for the bombings, it doesn't look like it's had much of a change throughout its history.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Exactly the response expected from the ill educated
NOT kkk, just a Cambridge grad sniper who does not give a rats ass about the quaint, barbaric, outdated piece of toilet paper that is the koran and the idiots that subscribe to it...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Georgia State grad here thank you and current student at Georgia Tech school of Aerospace Engineering. Born in Baltimore, raised in Houston, high GPA at all points in my life so tell me again how I fall into your whack ass stereotypes?
edit on 26-4-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Cultural indoctrination can very easily do away with the good works of education when held up to the parent countries liberal ideals and scientific strides. How many gay people came to your last party?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

lol to be extremely honest, I have a gay friend or 2, a gay sister, 2 gay cousins, and some gay co-workers. (This is Atlanta) however I've never had a party so I dunno what to tell you. lol

You seem to have narrowed your view of Muslims down to the hill dwelling nomadic Afghani man with an AK-47, a band of grenades and 6 pistols. What a shame.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Actually i would have to give a rats ass about islam to even allow a stereotype to cloud my judgement, and as i REALLY could not care less about the obsured, i will continue to shrug my shoulders, roll my eyes, and generally dismiss islam to the dusty desert of my mind where i couldnt give a crap

top topics

<<   2 >>

join