It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Say Gay Bill in Tennessee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
LINK includes interview with sponsoring Senator: www.examiner.com...

Tennessee state Sen. Stacey Campfield of Knoxville sponsored a new bill in Tennessee's Congress that is being dubbed the "Don't Say Gay" Bill aimed at public schools. Should it become law? Why or why not?

www.examiner.com...

edit on 26-4-2011 by ChicagOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
All this law will do is keep the issue of sexuality neutral in the classrooms before 9th grade, or rather a non-issue. It is not defending heterosexuality or attacking homosexuality rather it leaves the introduction of discussing alternative sexual orientations to the parents not the teachers. Like I said, it is a bill meant to keep the issue neutral, not spark any debate.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Gay bill in Tennessee. Oh crap, what will happen to me now that I said that??

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
As a Tennessean, I can promise you this will be abused if it passes and used to exclude children of non-traditional two parent families from school activities. Why? Because the majority of people here are incredibly closed minded. I swear that some think "the gay" can rub off or their children can catch it like head lice.

The scenario could go something like this. Johnny has two daddies. The daddies want to participate in class activities with their son. A parent who doesn't like homosexuals finds out the two daddies are going to be chaperoning the class, say on a field trip. How can we keep kids from asking questions about Johnny's family? We can't. Children aren't going to think it's that unusual until the parents throw a fit of self righteous fury. That of course will cause more questions, and then there will almost have to be a discussion about non-traditional families. Ergo, the law will have been violated. Of course, it will be blamed on the gay guy or even the student and not on the prejudice and stupidity of the parents.

As long as it is made known the couple are not to display affection (the same rule needs to apply to traditional parents as well) I don't think little kids are going to be freaked out about it or even ask any questions. I've seen it work with prejudice based on race. Little kids seem not to see color nor care about it until they learn if from their parents or other adults in their circles.

Johnny will be in a terrible position. He will either go on the field trip and not be able to share the experience with his parents, or he'll stay behind and not get to experience the trip with his classmates. Either way, he will feel ostracized. It also puts the teachers in a terrible position. Precious few parents want to be involved with their kids' education as it is. Now they will be forced to turn away people who want to help.

Due to the current mindset of the party in power, I have no illusions that this thing will pass. I'm almost sure it will. The wording on this legislation is tricky. I think it needs to be rewritten or it will definitely be used for discrimination. With the mindset of some of the people here, we are fooling ourselves if we think it won't.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Is there a current problem with teachers talking about homosexuality in school to 2nd graders these days? I didn't think so. So, this bill is likely to appease the bigoted extremists of the voting base. It's like a bill to restrict teachers from teaching anything about beekeeping. They're not teaching anything about it anyway. The only reason to bring it up is to cause government-sanctioned prejudice.

reply to post by ChicagOpinion

Care to give your opinion on the issue?

Originally posted by Misoir
All this law will do is keep the issue of sexuality neutral in the classrooms before 9th grade, or rather a non-issue.

"Neutral" would be to favor neither heterosexuality NOR homosexuality in the classroom. What you're talking about is censorship and denial of one of the two. But that looks like "neutral" to you.

edit on 4/26/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Let's all legislate our homophobia!

Nobody can keep Teh Gay away by stifling discussion about it. The fact is that issues will arise wherein discussion of homosexuality is unavoidable. This bill is beyond stupid, even by Tennessee standards...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Wow, looks like the party of "small government" is at it again.

Censorship, financial marshal law, union stripping, legislating morality, religious dogma in the classroom...what WILL they come up with next.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Hey now! Not all of us are stupid.

We're just outnumbered 2 to 1. If this passes here, other states will follow. I agree with Benevolent Heretic. It is state sanctioned prejudice. Of course, it won't be touted as that, but it definitely be used as such.

top topics

join