It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What should we do when we get to a new planet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOneI don't think that shooting on sight would really solve rebellious action against these ideas. It Most likely will make things worse for those who enforce these ideas and their leaders. That's what got the founding fathers of the U.S.A. to separate from the English kings control. These ways of control is what leads to a rebellion.

edit on 24-4-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

You realize the post is self contradictory.

2) No way we should allow a government dictate what we want
3) Anyone interested in creating such government shall be shot on sight

So the authority is not from a ruling body, OK.

Edit: Oh rule #0, the only negative rule there should be is the one allowing to shoot people on sight for rule # 3, #8 and #10

LOL! and this tidbit is also one of these 'rules'

6) Not allow one grain or atom of negative thinking

I guess killing is not negative.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Treat the planet and it's inhabitants with respect.
What we WILL do however,is ruin it like we did this one!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

treat the planet and its inhabitants with respect
I guess that's the best advice we can offer people in the future who set out to colonize a new earth.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Didn't mean to imply that it couldn't be done. I was just lying the foundation of what would need to be done before we even set foot on an alien world. Once we have the technologies, the skies the limit.... literally.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ummm, step one would be to conquer and enslave the indigenous population.

Actually, that may not happen right off the bat, but it will sooner or later knowing us.
We will consciously demonstrate against it, develop laws to prevent it....eventually we will refuse to recognize it is happening as it happens.

After it is over, we will even rationalize our way around why it was done or happily believe the lies we are told to explain such tragedy.

No matter what our intentions at the outset, this step is an inevitable result of human colonization anywhere.
edit on 25-4-2011 by Cole DeSteele because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
There are probably a lot of planets that would be more-or-less habitable by humans, but I think it would be rare to find among those planets a planet that is "very" Earth-like (i.e., one which we can easily inhabit without the aid of technology to allow us to survive).

The term "Earth-like planet", as it is used toady, does not mean a planet that is exactly like the Earth. It simply means a rocky planet that may have a temperature for water to exist as a liquid. There are many, many other factors that would makes so-called "Earth-like planet" one that most of us would call "just like Earth"

I think finding a planet in which:

-be able to move, unaided, in the potentially different gravity
-the air pressure is similar to the earth's
-we can breathe the atmosphere unaided
-not be affected over time by potential radiation
-not be affected by the difference in day-night cycles
-not be affected by the native pathogens
-we are able to grow food in soil that may contain compounds harmful to Earth life.

I'm not saying every habitable planet is going to have a combination of these potential problems, But I think it would be quite rare to find one that we can just inhabit without any of these stumbling blocks.

I think gravity will be one of the biggest problems. A planet that is even a modest 150% of Earth's gravity will make it very difficult for us to move around unaided and do even the simplest of tasks. The same goes for a planet with , say, 75% of Earth's gravity, but for different reasons. Sure -- with 75% gravity, it would be easier to move around, but the human body will begin to atrophy after a while. The low gravity would be harmful to the unaided human body. Something would need to be done to offset these problem. The higher-gravity planet would require the use of a gravity-assist device, and the lower-gravity planet would require some sort of muscle/bone loss mitigation.

Even something as seeming simple as a difference in the 24-hour day could potentially be a lot for a human to overcome. Some studies suggest that it is difficult for humans to adjust to a different circadian rhythm -- although those studies are not conclusive. Oddly enough, one study suggested that without any external stimuli at all, the human body wants top function on a 25-hour rhythm. I'm not saying it would be impossible for humans to adjust to a different day/night cycle, but, say for example, if we tried to inhabit a planet that had 7 house of daylight and 7 hours of night (14 hour days), it may take a full generation or two to finally become "in-sync" with the planet's day/night cycle.

Even air pressure, which would most likely be different, will affect us greatly.

In the vastness of the universe, I'm sure another "One-G", "one-atmosphere", 24-hour day, oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere planet with a magnetic-field radiation shield exists somewhere, but its much, much, more likely we'll find not-so-perfect but still "habitable" planets out there first.

edit on 4/25/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I think the day/night adjustment presents the easiest of adaptations one might encounter, but consider this;

A day on Mars is 24.62296 earth hours. Much further from the sun than Mars leaves the habitable zone, we may find rotations similar in similar solar system conditions, star, distance, etc.

I recall a documentary decades ago of experiments of long durations in deep caves. The only thing I really remember is without day/night stimuli, a mans working day lengthened, but not by very much, the 25-hour thing you mention is in the ballpark.

I am like my father one of those people who don't sleep long hours, I'm good throughout the work week with 4 to 5 hours sleeps, and maybe get up to 6 hours on the weekends, consistently, since high school the early half of the 70's.

Greater gravity would be tougher to overcome than lesser gravity, exercise regimens will make up for lesser gravity, robotics would be necessary for greater gravity which isn't out of the realm of technology, especially in the distant future should mankind venture out into space travel. We have working devices like that today, I forget what they are called.

It is possible for an earth-like planet to have much the same conditions as earth but consider the tidal movements created by our moon could have been a major role in sparking life on Earth that the same planet without those forces may never have undergone, but still has a similar atmosphere and geology, just little to no life due to the inorganic never synthesizing into organic life, something to consider anyway.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
forget who you are
destroy how you got there
wait 1000 generations
start to wonder about things

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
N.A.S.A astronomers discovered an earth like planet that is always night on one side and day on another. Very strange. But that's because it has an unusual orbit+revolution pattern I think. I just recently saw a report on history channel's the universe T.V. series about earth like planets. Interesting stuff!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
kill all the inhabitants, its the american way

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
If we ever got to a new planet and had to start from scratch, then eventually the people we bring there would go crazy. People today are so attached to the tech that they have and use everyday and on a new planet having to build it all back up people will just go crazy i think.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Before the people are aloud to colonize another planet it is allready scrutonized by NASA and who knows what other agency. They will make sure it will be a planet they can control. When we are long enough on that planet it will become like our own mother Earth and will be exploited and polluted to it's maximum.

Sorry to say it this way but people will not change their habits.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
There's only 3 thing we need do when we arrive on a new Earth-like planet.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
First, identify and isolate microorganismic viruses. (Is that even a word?). Make sure we don't infect the planet or ourselves in the process, and don't bring them back to Earth. Evolutionary adaptation must be contained.

More thoughts later, as I have to go get some cigarettes for wifey. *smiles*

Hm I don't think it is a word.
As viruses are already microscopic, but I get what you mean.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
kill all the inhabitants, its the american way

Well, it was also the Spanish way, and the Dutch way, and the British way, and the Portuguese way, and the way of just about every other colonial/Imperialist nation in history.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I guess you can say its the earth way in this case Soylent Green.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join