It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SYFY Channel....R.I.P. For me at least.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I used to love mystery science theater 3000 and Saturday anime when I was a kid. You're right though it's been going downhill I usually only watch it for Haven, Being Human, and some specials like Merlin, Alice, or TinMan.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The following post contains an admittance of my own stupidity.

Originally posted by hiwhatsup
I agree, every movie i've seen on there is named closely to a good movie and you are thinking wow on SyFy?? Then its a bunch of bad acting and poor special effects lol

I intentionally avoid learning anything about certain movies that I already know I want to watch. No trailers. No reviews. No articles. No names of actors. I did not know much about "Battle Of Los Angeles." I heard it mentioned on here, and I knew I wanted to watch it. I avoided threads about it. I heard/read several people mention it was a good movie. Usually this method works out well for me- no spoilers, but not this time.

I downloaded it. It was crap from the very first minute. Horrible script; Terrible acting; Hideous visual effects, but I wanted to give it a chance and try to understand how anybody could say that this was a good movie. Also, I was hoping it may get slightly better. I didn't watch much, then I stopped it. Tried it again the next day. This happened every night this week. After several days, i finally got to around the 30 minute point last night.

This scene was bad. real bad. Jet is fired at. Gets hit. Girl ejects before it crashes. She is coming down with her parachute. There was no green screen used. It looked more like they had just painted the wall behind her. A couple straps going up, that were probably duct-taped to the ceiling. Anyways, she had also caused the alien craft to crash. She rips her mask off as she is still "in the air", and says,
"AAAAAAHHHHHH YEEAAAAHHHH. THAT IS HOW WE DO!!!!!!"

WTF? At that moment, I had to slap myself before I broke my computer. That scene was the final straw. I did a search online. It wasn't hard to find. That is when I realized, yet again, that I am a freaking idiot. The movie I wanted to watch is "Battle: Los Angeles." The movie I was watching was the SyFy Original Movie- "Battle Of Los Angeles"

Warning: Viewing the following clips WILL destroy brain cells. Please be sure to remove any sharp objects from within your reach during this experience. Thank You.

and No. I still haven't seen it yet. Really I am not even sure I want to after going through this ordeal.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I remember watching the movie Skyline. Worst Movie Ever!

If I didnt know better, I wouldve sworn that it was written, produced and directed by the same people that put out the Syfy original movies.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Any show that turns out to be good they cancel..weird because you can ck and find that yes people like it it is popular...why do they cancel then.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
reply to post by AnitaCigarette

I remember those too. Remember mummies alive? That was my favorite before-school program. That and the real ghostbusters or whatever it was called.

Yes! I do remember Mummies Alive! That was also one of my favorites to watch before a crappy day of school.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DreamVapor

I'm gonna hate to agree with you but, on every point except i like Sactuary.
Maybe because i think Amanda Tapping is hot as a brunette, weird i do not like brunettes.....confused i am i guess.
But yep all of the rest is carp.
I love cooking but i do not want it on my sci fi.
Who knows, maybe someone with pull will read this and go back to the old ways.
But i doubt it.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yeah it's been garbage for awhile. Stargate going off is the finale blow. BSG was awesome. Have no idea why they quit it. It had great ratings was making money. Just does not make sence. One has to conclude they have idiots running the place. People getting paid who have 0 clue what a good show is.

They could at least make a spin off of some other Colony survivors as there had to be some ships that were out away from the colonies etc...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Agreed BSG could have had a meeeeelion spinoffs, and it kind of does when the episodes are on.
But alot of folks in the industry equate spinoff with jumping the shark.
Truly sad, those Mother Frakkers!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Instead of watching SyFy I watch jersey shore, both have scary monsters.
edit on 4/23/2011 by Sforscott because: typo

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Front page??Are you serious?

Someone is purposely flagging these meaningless posts just to knock off more important issues from the front page!

Like honestly,ooooh,the SYFY channel sucks now..so what??Agenda anyone?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This is, unfortunately (in my opinion it's unfortunate, at least,) how it works with these stations. It's the same with MTV, USA, and any other cable network. Share holders and board members demand growth. It's not sufficient for the network to have the same ratings it had last year, or even last quarter. There has to be growth, if not in ratings, then at least in profit margin, period over period.

As a result, they "rebrand" themselves. MTV is still called MTV, but it has dropped the "music television" label (for obvious reasons, as much of its programming has nothing to do with music at all anymore.) They do this in order to feature more content that their research suggests will garner more ratings, more ad revenue streams, or both. Accordingly, the network morphs into something not at all like its original conception.

This happens with every product, every TV station, every radio station, every website, and any other commercial endeavor. It's happened to YouTube. It's happened to Google. It's happened to IGN and other gaming sites. I don't think I need to go on. Hell, to a very, very limited degree, it's even happened to ATS.

Integrity and preservation of original vision aren't profitable, or at least, not profitable enough it would seem. There are some exceptions where the original vision is maintained more or less (ATS is actually an excellent example of this,) but sooner or later, most commercial endeavors in the "entertainment" industry transform until they're virtually unrecognizable. Why? Because either through desire or necessity, how much money is being made takes precedence over the vision that spawned the project.

It makes me very sad personally, and very frustrated, but unfortunately that seems to be the way it works.

edit on 4/23/2011 by AceWombat04 because: Typos

edit on 4/23/2011 by AceWombat04 because: Typos

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DreamVapor

Totally agree. SIFY for me was about the best place to go and turn on the tv and be able to enjoy what was on, now it is a joke and what is it about radioactive snakes, brain inhanced zombies, oh and lets not forget the killer ants that are the size of the empire states building.

I now just rent or find a netflix account to help me adjust for my scifi fix.

Ainge

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Wrestling ?

Yeah, I'm out.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
What? Who the hell are you to bash SHARKTOPUSS!!?!?!!

But seriously, I agree. I used to watch Sci Fi (that's right, SCI FI) when I was younger but stopped when it transformed into SYFY.

Ghost Hunters and Scare Tactics are my favorite shows on the network but even them I barely watch anymore.

The channel has changed and gone downhill. But hey, that's television these days.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Can't believe no one mentioned Caprica. I really enjoyed that. Well, except for the overuse of the cuss word 'frack'.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I used to love watching the scifi ( I hate the new spelling) channel but its no longer a place of classic scifi movies of programs instead it has become chewing gum for the eyes like all the other channels on tv, at least I still have my books to entertain me

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I have to agree the syfy channel sucks and they should just fall on the sword and be done with it.I mean all they are becoming are reality type shows and the new shows coming out are just rip offs.Like Alphas is just a watered down version of heros and being human is a rip off of the British version.

Don't get me started with there movies i mean they aren't even C movies they are just horrible.I think the last good movie they had was the Dog Soliders about werewolfs and thats not even scifi.Now taken was a wesome mini series.

They are so worried about ratings they making all the wrong choices in my opinion.I mean seriously they will never compete with fox,cbs,nbc,abc.

Plus I am mad
that they cancelled my favorite series stargate universe.The first season was kind of slow but it has gotten better in the second.

But don't worry wrestling will save them.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yeah that's why i said "kind of".
It is a spinoff but....it is closer to soap opera than BSG.
But still i watch it as i love those retro views.
The origin of the families and the toasters.

Amanda Tapping is a hot brunette though.

edit on 23-4-2011 by g146541 because: hottness

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
People still have cable?

I would rather read a book - but I will admit there a couple shows I watch online.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
If they brought back Farscape, Sightings, and MST3K reruns they would begin to be redeemed. I miss the good days where Quantum Leap and Tales From the Darkside were regulars.

Entertainment is being consolidated so much.
I last watched the network when those shows were on. My husband and I got disgusted with how they jerked Farscape around. We quit when that went down. I had no idea how badly Sci Fi has deteriorated until I happened to catch this thread. Do they really show wrestling now?
. WTH does that have to so with science fiction?

We have pretty much given up on tv. Jericho was the last show we tried to follow and look how that turned out.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join