It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SYFY Channel....R.I.P. For me at least.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
It's just SyFy's way of combining disaster flicks to create new ideas and I know it's getting kind of cheesy but do understand.

If you think the programming reaks, write them and propose something better.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.
Could someone explain why the name of SciFi was changed?
I have a limited number of stations I watch and this isn't one of them. Used to enjoy
watching back in the late '90's and really enjoyed the channel.

Maybe, too many of the programs weren't as much scifi and cut too close to reality?
What better way than to commit SyFy suicide?

Networks consistantly try to reinvent themselves through either programming, logo or name changes. Just their way to keep things fresh.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I seen this coming about 5-6 years ago. And their insistence on any Amanda Tapping show whether good bad or horrible that they will constantly run and re run is mind boggling.
Look I like Stargate but my goodness wtf is with all the drab spinoffs?
Then another issue I heave is Why the hell is wrestling even on this channel?
They have essentially driven 75% of their previous audiences off with the C movies,Wrestling and Anime they buy/produce.
Im pretty sure I could be a better scyfy programmer than they are.
Simple really. Play a lot of old Hammer films and allready available and good
scifi and horror.
Tons of great material allready made and no need for all this fluff crap that is coming from Vancouver and wherever else ScyFy buys these firesale crap titles they are pushing.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
After what they did to Caprica last year I will never watch SciFi ever again. Not that I did much anyway as they never had much that appealed to me. Caprica IMO was one of the better shows I've come across in years and they frakked it in so many ways that I can never go back and give them my time. Someday I might buy the DVD's of Caprica but I will buy them used and not new. I won't give them my money, they can piss off.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Warehouse 13 is passable, that's about it, IMO.

BSG was amazing until the very end, but Caprica didn't work out so well, IMO, despite a promising start.

Besides that, SyFy hasn't done much that I care for (never got into Eureka, but some like it and I hear Stargate Universe was good, but I never liked the other Stargate shows).

Their movies have been terrible and their big-time mini-series have been sad disappointments, too. The biggest disappointment of all was their terrible adaptation of the Earthsea books by Ursula K. LeGuin. Originally, they had a plan to really do them right and hired Philippa Boyens, who co-wrote the scripts for Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" movies to do the script. LeGuin was overjoyed at this and said as much, and this was why she agreed to the adaptation in the first place. But somewhere along the way Boyens was dropped from the project and the script they eventually produced was terrible and the production values were pretty crap, too. The mini-series was so bad that LeGuin famously wrote a scathing condemnation of it. LeGuin, a former National Book Award winner, not to mention shelves full of other awards, including Hugos and Nebulas, was not happy with what they had done.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DreamVapor

Bad movies have always been their thing.

But yeah it does seem to have declined in quality.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
is it me, or do they have a habit of filming little clips and inserting them into different movies.....
kind of like, let's see how many movies we can get out of our old films by rearranging them....

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I've watched some of their cheesefests for a while now. Yes Sharktopus was not the best but it was almost kind of entertaining. Scream of the Banshee wasn't bad.

If they spent more of their budget on story(ie more seriousness) and less on cheezey special effects, things would be better. And they do manage to get some name actors to appear in their movies like Lance Henriksen, Eric Roberts and Lauren Holly.

I haven't completely given up on SyFy yet.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I can't stand SyFy and I pronounce it like sif-e...lol

It is crap now, just plain crap! I use to LOVE the Sci-Fi channel but ever since they changed their name and programming it's gone down hill. Dont even get me started on wrestling being on there...Oh heck no! I use to love Sundays because they always had all kinds of movies now it's crap..

When they changed their name they said they were trying to be more hip and text friendly and use the popular tween lingo..That is what the article said years ago when they switched. They also said they wanted to get away from the "geek" reputation and make syfy more cool to other groups..Um Sci-Fi is usually considered geeky and dorky and I'm proud to be both! Now their programming makes me cringe...Ocassionally they have some movies I will watch but that is very rare..

Now do you have Chiller Network? That channel kicks some ass! It's horror movies and they play sci-fi shows as well. It has completely replace SyFy for me! If you have it I suggest you check it out..

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I am appalled at what SyFy has become. The final straw for me was the cancellation of Stargate Universe - although a close second is their "B-grade" movies. Now don't get me wrong, I love crap-tastic sci-fi but somehow SyFy has managed to butcher even that. Has anyone seen Mega-Python VS Gatoroid? I was crying and contemplating suicide by the end of it........

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
why dont you help out with the syzygy network?

syzygy

The Syzygy Network is a new cable network coming in 2012. This network will be entirely dedicated to Science Fiction and Fantasy fans. We will diligently hunt down the most obscure scifi from around the globe and bring it to the network, as well as airing well-known titles. We’ll bring you new programming as funding allows, including our own productions and those of other companies.

facebook

give your money to them instead and tell syfy why you are doing so
edit on 23-4-2011 by justyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Being human is a great show on syfy.
my wife loves that show. but other than that. it is a bunch of crap.

terrible shows. the channel needs a revamp big time.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I remember when MTV was about music. Times they are a changing.
edit on 23-4-2011 by thorazineshuffle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I haven't really watched a lot since Battlestar Galatica ended. Now, that was one great show. And when I do watch, there seems to be a commercial break every five minutes or so it seems.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Only pay for internet, buy yourself a large flat screen for like 200 bucks, and watch all your media online. Try demonoid.me. You can download everything for free!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Its called "SYFY" because their no actual "SCI=Science" in the bs they produce. Its all fiction. You'd do better to watch AMCs 'The Walking Dead' (A great show), or coming this June 'Falling Skies' (which looks awesome, and is being produced by Spielberg). SYFY has become a B-Movie production studio, and I'll have to second your outrage at the wrestling comment. What in the hell's up with that?! I guess because wrestling makes most channel surfers *sigh*, and the fighting is all fiction, so...

Originally posted by thorazineshuffle
I remember when MTV was about music. Times they are a changing.
edit on 23-4-2011 by thorazineshuffle because: (no reason given)

I can remember when the Discovery Channel used to air shows about discoveries, and now its all fishing, motorcyle, and logging shows. All that remains that's worth watching is Mythbusters and one or two of those survival shows.
edit on 23-4-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
More than a decade ago, I worked in a brokerage where there was a "lounge" for the customers to drink coffee and wait for big trades and generally hang out get in the way. On slow days, staff would turn the tv in there from CNN/FN (remember that??) or CNBC to sciFI channel. Mid-morning after the opening rush, Sci-Fi was showing "Night Stalker".

My favorites were the investigative shows hosted by Picard's "number one" (hee hee), Riker would investigate UFOs behind the iron curtain(!). I think some of them were actually called "In search of" a la Leonard Nimoy.

Eventually bosses decided the lounge was contributing anything except to our personal coffee addictions and yanked the plug. oh well.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
Warehouse 13 is passable, that's about it, IMO.

BSG was amazing until the very end, but Caprica didn't work out so well, IMO, despite a promising start.

Yeah, I was really disappointed in Caprica. It did start out OK and had a good cast, but I don't know, it just kinda veered off into confusing directions, IMO. We recorded the final episodes and watched maybe one, but didn't even finish. They could have done a lot more with that, than they did. But BSG, I would recommend to anyone to get the DVD's if you haven't seen it.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
history channel is getting pretty bad too with crap show like Alien Hunters, Ancient Astronauts (and that crazy orange skinned crazy haired idiot) and Monsterquest. Good thing 2 of those are already cancelled that I know of.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I haven't watched it since 2000. Now a days, I hardly watch any TV at all. I miss some of the good old shows, but TV in general is becoming more about "flash" and less about story telling. No thanks.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join