It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SYFY Channel....R.I.P. For me at least.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
i have hung on hopping that the syfy channel would bring back good shows.
but i think it's all but done for. the movie thing at first was like a joke on the old b movies,
but now it's all they got. and all of those awful mid evil shows, and movies. who wants to see all that crap.
and what do vampires, werewolves, and ghosts have anything to do with scifi.
and why do they want brain dead folks watching wrestlin for any ways.
ghost hunters and destination truth are nothing but a joke, they never prove s@@t.

i think maybe nbc wants to kill the network and have people come back to their network.
which is now geared to a 80% reality type format, which is cheaper to produce, and they can sell more
commercial time. and make more profit.

edit: i will say this, during the day time they do run some pretty good shows all day. some old some newer.
so maybe they will come back around.
edit on 23-4-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I can not explain how upset I am of the useless programming on Sifee. I only watch either late night for reruns or Monday(?) night for SGU.

As far as the name change, I heard it was changed since you can not copyright/trademark a genere.

AMCs "Falling Skies" does look promising...and didn't AMC stand for American Movie Classics?
edit on 23-4-2011 by savagemoron because: no reason

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I read somewhere that Syfy was owned by the same company that owns the USA network/channel or whatever it is.

I guess that they are just following the same trend that other networks are following because the majority of todays viewers have the attention span of a gnat.
So they are moving to reality based programming to try and hold their attentions. Everyones doing it, even The HIstory Channel, Axmen, Pawn Stars, Ice Road Truckers etc...

But seriously, Marcels "Quantum" Kitchen
give me a break. Its even funnier that they tried to justify it being on the channel by giving it a SciFi sounding name.. Quantum

They really need to take a look at AMC's strategy. Whoever wouldve thought that a channel named American Movie Classics, would come up with a hit like The Walking Dead..

I miss my old Sci Fi channel.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Agree completely. Wrote them an email when they started changing programming around and started promoting wrestling(!?!). Channel is clearly circling the toilet at this point. The cookie-cutter crap like Warehouse 13 and Eureka are a total joke. The original syfy movies are some of the worst piles of dogcrap in moviedom history. The stories from most of these movies play out like something middleschool children came up with. Hard to believe they pump money into these abominations.

Used to be a channel I could always find something enjoyable on, I rarely watch any of it now. Even Ghosthunters turned to crap with the Housewives of Atlanta cameos and other fake/staged crapola. Hard to believe they took a concept that could have been turned into an awesome channel featuring sci-fi related programming, and instead turned it into garbage aimed at children and new agers. When was the last time this channel featured a true classic like 'Alien' or '2001'. I wouldn't know, I gave up watching. There's no edge to this channel at all, but they admittedly tried to make it much more children/PG friendly. As someone said, when GH and DT finally run out (ratings are lowest ever at this point), this channel will be reaching hard but failing with it's current programming strategy.

Wrestling?!? People still watch that garbage??

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
They plan to cancel my favorite series, Stargate Universe. Unbelievable. Where has all the Sci-Fi gone ?

Second line.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan
Wrestling?!? People still watch that garbage??

Given that Smackdown is SyFy's highest rated program and it doesn't usually do even half the share of the WWE's flagship program, RAW, does on Monday nights... I'd say that yes, people still watch wrestling. More people are watching that than anything else on SyFy. It always makes me laugh when sci-fi geeks (and, for the record, I'm one of them) get on their high horse about how someone else's lowbrow entertainment is too lowbrow for them.

But back on topic... what really killed SyFy for me was their absolutely awful remake of BBC's Being Human. They had a perfectly good show they could have syndicated and used as a centerpiece for other programming. Instead, they dished out their own watered down version of it. Want the best sci-fi TV on cable in the U.S. right now? Go to BBC America. They run X-Files, ST:TNG, and Doctor Who every afternoon during the week and then a bigger block of first-run sci-fi on Saturday nights.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Grrrrrrr! It's all of the reality programming that makes me nauseous! Rude bikers, obnoxious fishermen, loggers and truck drivers. Celebrity morons. Everybody getting a tramp stamp tattoo'd across their butt. Seriously? If people want to see that kind of programming just open a Facebook account and find out what your friends are up to. I can't believe how many of my "middle aged" girlfriends showcase their new, exciting and meaningful tatoos. I can't help but be reminded of 'silly putty' and how you could make newspaper impressions on it? And how it looked when you twisted it and streeeeetched it. Yeah, now imagine those tatoos after a few more years being on old saggy butt skin. Yeesh! Don't we have enough reality??

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I never got into the series that SyFy played that most of you are talking about, but the movie quality was bad and now its even worse. They purposely make these movies ridiculously crappy and for some reason people must watch it. Most likely to laugh at the low quality. I know I do. I like Destination Truth. It seems that it is dying too.

Then there is my most hated show on SyFy, Fact or Faked. THat show just sucks. As you stated they have the money and resources to recreate something similiar. Who is going to go out get a helicopter and put 2 lights on the bottom and video tape it? Just because they can get something very similar doesn't mean thats what happened

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Oh and the newest show thats coming out on syfy sounds like another "winner" Urban Legends.
Where apparently you watch a scenario that may or may not have happened and then you get to decide whether its true or made up. stupid.
And if im not mistaken, something very similar has already been done but I cant remember the name of the show or on what channel it played on.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yeah they suck now big time! They have had some really cool ideas and then they let them fail, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, Firefly. They have no idea how to make movies let alone a series just look at there name it has nothing to do with sci fi: SyFy Imagine Greener lol why would you try and make a sci fi chanel look greener?! lmao. I want my Sci Fi back! Star and flag OP, Thanks

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Man I used to love SciFi. I refuse to call it "SyFy."

The only thing I watch on SciFi now is Star Trek: TNG & Enterprise reruns & Twilight Zones if I catch em. This channel had SO much potential, what a let down

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Gotta agree, although Eureka is one of my favorites. They could have taken the money wasted on the crap and put it towards Stargate Universe. By the way, anybody know WHY it's ending? Even Firefly is on another channel and that's one of the best scifi shows ever. Sanctuary is a complete waste of time, but Amanda Tapping is nice to look at.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If they brought back Farscape, Sightings, and MST3K reruns they would begin to be redeemed. I miss the good days where Quantum Leap and Tales From the Darkside were regulars.

Entertainment is being consolidated so much.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Christarella

Thanks for that picture in my head.
Be tryin' the rest of the day to get that out.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Agree. Even if BBC had Dr. Who and nothing else, that steamrolls pretty much all other programming. They could have a Dr. Who channel that plays nothing but Dr. Who series, movies, and radio shows, I would have it on 24 hours a day.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The last time I actually enjoyed watching SyFy was when I was a teenager & they had anime shows in the early morning on weekends & awesome documentaries. Now it's all... reality TV & horrendous graphics!!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AnitaCigarette

I remember those too. Remember mummies alive? That was my favorite before-school program. That and the real ghostbusters or whatever it was called.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I was quite excited when we got this channel in high definition, then I saw a few films such as "Mega Shark versus Giant octopuss" (or something like that) and a few others with giant robots etc and I was
it's not just the terrible acting but the scripts too are poor and lots of totally pointless scenes that just act as time fillers, they actually make Tremors 3 which is often shown on it look like a masterpiece.

The only time I watch is when something decent like Robocop or another old film is on.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Syfy has definitely gone off the edge. I haven't even been checking it.
They should try putting some of that sharktopuss special effects budget toward writing instead.

I have to say I wasn't a fan of the new videography fad of zooming too close to the subject and shaking their camera around like they are some guy that just got off a crack binge. (at least some of those shows had good writing though - they just needed to fire their video director. )

There are so many smart, talented creative people out there, and yet these really lame shows / movies are the ones funded...

edit on 23-4-2011 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
maybe if we can keep bumping this thread, and get like 30 pages or so we can all email them a link and let them see the error of their ways.

let me be the first,
bump

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join