It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never mind cats and dogs - school hit by worm rain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Never mind cats and dogs - school hit by worm rain

news.scotsman.com

A PE class had to run for cover as it started raining worms.
Teacher David Crichton was leading a group of pupils playing football at Galashiels Academy when dozens of the invertebrates began plummeting from the sky. The 22 second-year boys had to abandon their lesson

Mr Crichton said the children had just completed their warm-up when they began to hear "soft thudding" on the ground.

The class then looked to the cloudless sky - and saw worms falling on to them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This must have been caused by a storm picked which picked up water with the worms in it, and then deposied it back down over the school. In any case, I would be freaked out as well.

What will it rain next??

Raining animals is a rare meteorological phenomenon in which flightless animals "rain" from the sky, although occurrences have been reported from many countries throughout history. One hypothesis that has been offered to explain this phenomenon is that strong winds traveling over water sometimes pick up creatures such as fish or frogs, and carry them for up to several miles.[1] However, this primary aspect of the phenomenon has never been witnessed or scientifically tested.

en.wikipedia.org...

news.scotsman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-4-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Honestly, I have never bought that explanation for the phenomenon.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I'll second your disbelief.

The fact that these odd rains are usually highly specific (and what bodies of whatever have large clumps of FLESH floating around in them?) as far as what they're dropping definitely calls that idea into question - especially when it's things that don't even naturally occur anywhere in the near area.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

great find op,really enjoyed reading this one

I,ve heard of it before but to the explanation they give just don't add up.
I mean have you ever seen a flying frog or worm!!! f+s for you very interesting

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There have been reports of animals falling from the sky reported all over the world throughout history. In most cases, the event is an isolated incident, but it's been happening on a yearly basis in Honduras for over a century now. The phenomenon of 'The Rain of Fish' or 'Lluvia de Peces' has been occurring in the Departamento de Yoro of Honduras each year since the mid 1800s. The occurrence has been puzzling not only the residents, but also scientists since it started. Each year witnesses report that in May or June, dark storm clouds, accompanied by thunder and lightning will appear over the horizon and move over the region. The clouds are accompanied by a very heavy rain which will last upwards of three hours. Once the rain has finished, the city streets are littered with living fish.
National Geographic headed to the region in 1970 and were able to witness the event, though they were unable to offer up an explanation. They were able to determine that all of the fish that appear are roughly the same size, and are all the same species. What's more puzzling is that this particular species of fish do not inhabit any nearby waters. One scientific theory is that the fish are sucked up in waterspouts formed by the high winds. Some think that the fish may be flying in from as far away as the Atlantic Ocean, which is some 200km away. Another theory suggests that the fish may be residing in underground rivers in the area.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com......Im pretty sure this is the same story in this previous thread,just a little late op if thats the case...either way i know i would be taking shelter..i hate worms!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

i have seen this befor when i was a little boy is there any pitchers of this. It was caused by a storm miles up the road from us

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

its been known to rain fish and frogs thats the explanation for it.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
But why JUST worms.? Why not other creatures too? Beetles, mice, and other things mixed in with it?

And with the fishes, why just THAT particular fish? Why not some of the predators that are always around the schools of fish?

It just seems odd that it's ONE specific creature being sucked up and redeposited elsewhere..

join