It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw a homeless person today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Today is start or continuation of many celebrations and past times in the world. My mother and I went shopping and I got most of what I needed for food. As we were leaving I purchased some cheap pizza and an icee. Riding home I noticed a homeless person pushing a cart. I couldn't help feeling like a pig. A spoiled pig! Even though I'm blessed in life doesn't mean everyone has everything I have. My family is in for Easter and I'm celebrating Passover with Jewish friends. I feel I should give back and help people who do not have a family or friends or even food this special season. If I ever want to see myself as a man I must treat others with respect and kindness.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

That is great, only if everyone realized this and worked towards it, the world would be an utopia.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

It is difficult to fix. I do not doubt many people on the streets are on some dugs or they drink. Either I should buy the food or donate food or money to a donation bin.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
There are a lot more homeless then ever before not counting the great depression. I have seen entire families sleeping in their cars in wal-mart parking lots. It is only going to get worse people.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeraVerto
reply to post by kaleshchand

It is difficult to fix. I do not doubt many people on the streets are on some dugs or they drink. Either I should buy the food or donate food or money to a donation bin.

I agree. I don't like handing out money to people on the street as you are never really sure of exactly where it is going. I find it a lot better to donate to a homeless shelter that will spend the money on food, blankets, medical supplies etc that will actually go towards helping people. I also agree that sometimes you will see a person sitting on the street or walking around, obviously homeless and it really does make me think how fortunate I am that I have everything I need... Often all it takes is one wrong decision and anyones world could fall apart.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
don't worry about it...
chances are he pulls down more a week than you do.... I did when I was "homeless"...
In fact I've actually considered quitting my job, regrowing my beard and going back to panhandling to support my kids... I used to make 200 bucks a day+ in the right spot if I was really hustling...
unfortunately I've developed this thing called a concience... I miss the days of being a street punk sometimes...
I'd say about 80% of the people I knew back in those days were homeless by choice...
I know that's probably hard to fathom for someone who doesn't have that mindset...
but there are those who are just down on their luck... they usually weren't on the street for very long...
like I said it's a mindset thing....

edit; I almost forgot the crazies and the truly handicapped... they make up a good 10 percent in my experience... most of us use to try to look out for them... get them to the clinic .... make sure they had their morning beer... etc

it really was a counter culture....
edit on 22-4-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yesterday, my favorite inter-national holiday 4/20, Me and my buddies went out to the Puget Sound all day in Downtown Olympia. Stoped at some Jack in de box, picked enough tacos to feed an emerging third world country, and then walked down the street handing them out. Hobos, non-hobos alike. Everybody got a taco. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FeraVerto

This is a sensitive subject, but it seems you are right, a lot of them are addicted to alcohol and some even to drugs, but I think that might be an effect from them not having family or friends. Also, I think ( and this is really sad
) some of them are handicapped and cant help themselves, and with no one to care for them they just become drifters. Is it the responsibly of society to take care of the poor? Personally, I think so because its society who creates them. But again that is just my opinion.

I used to work at a pizza shop and every time we'd mess a pizza up we would send it down to the shelter, and the people there loved it. We would sometime "mess up" 3 or 4 at a time. I know it doest seem like much but to them it was always great.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Where I live there are a number of homeless and helpless.

I suppose it is because of the weather here.

They spend a lot of time during the day downtown.

I go there about once a week to browse the thrift store for collectibles that people give them.

I started noticing a hispanic man there.

He was one of the most poorly dressed individuals I have ever seen.

His jeans were just a torn mess and he was wearing a fleece hoodie.

But he was not begging but just standing there watching people walk by.

He always had the hood up so you could only see his eyes.

I saw him for a month just standing in the same place watching people.

It got to me because I was very short on bucks at this period.

I started thinking,"what if Jesus came back and looked liked this guy?Would anybody even give him the time of day?.

I decided I was going to go back and look for him,buy at a couple decent jeans socks etc and a small back pack(from the thrift stores) maybe some better shoes and other things.

When I went back he was not there and I have been back a few times.

Sadly there is a railroad that runs along the beach here in this town.

There has been many people hit by trains and their just walking down the tracks away from the train.

A lot of homeless use this way to end their miserable lives.

Never see it coming and it is quick.

I feel sorry for those engineers blowing their horns.

It can't be good seeing people doing that.

If our economy craps out any further you may be seeing more.
edit on 22-4-2011 by IamJustanAmerican because: (no reason given)

top topics

join