It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetical Disinformation Agent - How would YOU 'invalidate' a legitimate video if one 'got out

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
There have been and no doubt continue to be disinformation agents around the world. Controlling information is a vital aspects of many organizations from cults to international agencies. I think it would be especially helpful in this forum to be cognizant of this fact and to bear it in mind while investigating subjects such as those discussed on this site.
My question today is this - if you were a Disinformation Agent charged with hiding the truth about the existence of ET vehicles and beings being here on Earth (assuming this was the case), and someone posted a video providing strong evidence of this reality on the Internet, what would you do to cause the public to disbelieve that evidence? You have quite a hefty budget for this work and lots of resources at your disposal...

edit on 21-4-2011 by TheFlash because: Fix punctuation

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFlash

Jump to the conclusion everyone else does and scream "CGI!!" before ever watching the video....
2nd line

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I would just comment that it's nothing compared to the conspiracy that is Obama the Indokenyan Commuslim who is "secretly" destroying our country and then we would be talking about that for the rest of our lives.

Oh wait...what were we talking about again?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I would scream how it is "PROOF!" and the "smoking gun!". And the moment anyone disagreed, I would accuse them of being disinfo agents.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

if someone came out telling the truth, and it was damaging to tptb, they'll just make the messenger look crazy, or destroy their creds by saying he beat his wife... Or some other way of slandering the messenger without debunking the message..

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
"The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus."

Now, please look here and wait for the flash...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I can't imagine any other method than the shotgun approach.

The first step I would take would be to ban the video from Youtube if it wouldn't look suspicious. I'd work with Youtube to keep the view count arbitrarily low. Repeat that process on Google video. Obviously users with a not too many friends would be an easier target.

One team of people would work out reasons the video would be fake, while another team of people would work out any and every reason the author of the video is not credible. On internet sites like ATS, multiple personalities would already be in place to add their comments. Some of them would simply participate in other forums to pretend to believe pretty much anything. Then for this video they would suddenly disbelieve it rather than just believing. Other team members could be be known as regular debunkers. None of them would be new to the site ideally, and definitely never more than two of them would be new or that would just look suspicious.

You wouldn't be able to tell they were disinfo agents because they would be posting their regular old opinions (though exaggerated to reach certain conclusions) in most cases because that would be all that would be necessary to establish credibility. Certain members may even be designed to be top contributors and well respected.

Another team may be assigned to post a bunch of stupid, offensive, and off-topic replies so that people lose interest in the topic. They might provoke others to the degree they can. Of course people tend to naturally do that anyway in a topic which is emotional, so it would only be necessary some of the time.

So that is about five tactics I could think of and I imagine there are probably at least a couple more I didn't even think of.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
You don't spread disinformation by disagreeing with the target audience but by agreeing with them, telling them what they want to hear.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I suppose the perfect mix would be Spin Doctors, propaganda and disinfo people mixed in to create one hell of a secret department.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Someone posts a crap video, you want to know all the ways it can be debunked so you can call them a "disinfo agent?"

Are you planning to post a crappy youtube vid?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

civilchallenger has got the right idea: the wide spray shotgun pattern.

1. post YT videos of wide-eyed homeless looking people claiming the real video is indeed the Real McCoy. someone could monitor their YT channels to feed the flames of trolls who post in response.

2. have a few intellectual interest magazines (most magazines are owned by those who own the slanted media/press) feature articles on how most everything - what you see, what you hear, peoples voices, whatever - can all be faked easily these days by a 12 yr old and her trusty laptop.

3. wipe the article out of the interest span of people by flooding the media with a few outlandish distractions, the bigger the better. top to bottom, Ne York Times to National Enquirer.

4. give the talented Cohen brothers 10.5 million $ to slap together an incredible $50,000.00 independent movie pretty much based on the same story...to make the real story look like a entertainment story.

civilchallenger has got it right. throw paint all over the wall, you can't see the graffitti.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
404 it...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Not sure how one would go about deeming it "legitimate" in the first place beyond having team of video experts certify that they are unable to prove it a fake, which in and of itself does not rule out a hoax.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica

if someone came out telling the truth, and it was damaging to tptb, they'll just make the messenger look crazy, or destroy their creds by saying he beat his wife... Or some other way of slandering the messenger without debunking the message..

Just like on that Mitchell Coombes kid's thread...it's riddled with weird accusations of him being a criminal and whatnot.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Label the video hoax, CGI, swamp gas, Chinese lantern, air balloon, bird or anything else apart from UFO and call anyone who disagrees with me stupid, a freak or ignorant.

Unfortunately this is what I've read on this forum.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

That's the best answer so far, but it always goes back to the basics:

Attack the poster, works with success everyday right here on good ole' ATS....

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
should we really be giving the disinfo agents here tips on how to do their job better? come on guys.....

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well first I think I would address the video itself..."is it shaky, is it dark, are there any natural phenomena that could explain it? Is the camera too steady therefore it was staged...etc."

Then if that fails attempt to discredit the individual who shot the video...call into questions his motives, past on-line activity that may undermine his current "work".

Third try personal attacks on either the OP or another poster hoping to take the focus off the original video...

...and last make some absurd claim that is only peripherally related to the video in the hopes that the claim would become associated with the video and by a loose association call in to question the validity of the original video...as an example "Wow, what a cool video...this reminds me of what my mother's cousins uncle Tom said his gardener told him about these aliens that are supposedly coming here from Dimension X and taking over roles in society to undermine our way of life and have already replaced certain key people with reptoids..." sort of thing.

My thoughts any way.

Kev

edit on 21-4-2011 by kevkeegsdad because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2011 by kevkeegsdad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
And claim to be an expert on ufology, CGI, and everything else when you are not.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

People didn't always walk around with a camera and phone right in their hand at all times. Use to if someone saw something they would call the police, and all police have a number to give to call ? in Washington. No paper would print it, or nightly news would not report on it. Well, the cat is all the way out of the bag, now. And the US is the only Government now that still keeps their mouth shut. Thanks to the World Wide Web, it is too hard for them to keep secrets anymore. There are just a lot of want-to-be called a "disinfo agent" only they never give out any info, just a pain.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join