It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Survivalist's best friend is a weed?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Very interesting! Will have to try it sometime. Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Awesome find! Always nice to know which planets are best for survival. Star for you sir!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Soounds like 'manna' to me.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Now when my mother calls me to come pull out the weeds in her garden, I will have an excuse to say no!

thanks a lot, very cool information

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Cool thread! It is amazing how things that we perceive as "weeds" or pests can be one of the things that can save our lives! I have plenty of those weeds growing in my yard, and I can't wait to try them. The same can be said with Dandelions, they have so many uses as food, teas, dyes, etc. and are full of vitamins, and have been used for centuries to help cure liver problems, digestive issues, skin problems and a whole host of other issues. Best of all, they are free!

The sad part is that Big Pharma does not want us to know about these things as they would lose money and not be able to push their nasty chemicals on us.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Funny thing a bout "weed" and the mix up in the OP
In meditative states certain plants will bring themselves to your attention if you allow them to

then you follow it up.

I discovered Virginnia Creeper root in this way..
while the usual lore is that the berries are poisonous, which they are..
the root is ginsang like but acts very quickly
if you need to be on the ball this would be the stick to chew on

Its really peppery tasteing when it kicks in
You can kick butt for days and recover from stress very quickly

Wild Sarsaparilla will do that too as a food, as well as an herb
they are both in the same class/related

all things in moderation - even moderation

edit on 22-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
Great post. I remember my grandmother telling me about the healing properties of this plant. They grow all over Europe as far as I can tell. I haven't seen it grown here in California (maybe I don't recognize the American version of the plant). It's amazing what we have growing all around us, and what useful plants we kill in favor of manicured lawns and clean sidewalks. Sometimes we completely misunderstand our environment.

I've seen them in northern california. Around fresh dirt, like at construction sites.

For plants in general, new young plants have more good nutrients and minerals. Older plants will have more flouride and toxins in them.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I'm not saying this stuff isn't true, but I couldn't help noticing there was not a single source cited in the OP (?) - just pictures.

Some extraordinary claims...

As you can see, this extraordinary plant is one which every survivalist should know.

Food: Young leaves can be eaten raw, older leaves require boiling, seeds can be eaten raw, boiled or dried and ground into flour.

Whole Plant used for:
Stanch wounds
Cuts
Infections
Coughs
Burns
Dysentery
Anti-coagulant
Antiseptic

Seeds for:
Constipation
The seeds are known as Psyllium, the name for the main ingredient in bulk laxatives

Why not share the studies / lab test / articles that have been done, making these claims.

And, the easiest way to procure/'farm' this weed (and, don't just say, "it's in between the sidewalk cracks")

Just some simple requests, to back up a great thread.

S&F

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/093f89d2892d.jpeg[/atsimg]

Yeah... you're jealous...

Admit it....

The manual says that for new foods

1) prepare the potential food as you would to eat it.

2) wear it on your skin for a day and observe for skin rash or other allergy/toxicity

3) wear it in your armpit for a day as above

4) eat a small portion of it and observe the effect

5) eat larger amounts as desired.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz

I'm not saying this stuff isn't true, but I couldn't help noticing there was not a single source cited in the OP (?) - just pictures.

As you can see, this extraordinary plant is one which every survivalist should know.

Food: Young leaves can be eaten raw, older leaves require boiling, seeds can be eaten raw, boiled or dried and ground into flour.

Whole Plant used for:
Stanch wounds
Cuts
Infections
Coughs
Burns
Dysentery
Anti-coagulant
Antiseptic

Seeds for:
Constipation
The seeds are known as Psyllium, the name for the main ingredient in bulk laxatives

Why not share the studies / lab test / articles that have been done, making these claims.

And, the easiest way to procure/'farm' this weed (and, don't just say, "it's in between the sidewalk cracks")

S&F

I suspect many remedies and health foods are excellent for some and toxic for others.

According to the book "Eat Right 4 Your Type" most health foods are toxic for blood type O individuals.

Toxic for type O include
wheat
corn
cows milk cheese (except mozzarrella)
cottage cheese
yogurt
oranges
sunflowerseeds
peanuts
alfalpha sprouts
cauliflower
strawberries

Part of growing up should be discerning what foods suit you.

The chemistry behind "Eat Right 4 Your Type" has not been accepted as true by all physiologists, but it always (99%) matches my bodies reaction.

Suspiciously, "V-8" juices has 8 ingredients that all match up with type O.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Star & Flag!
Both species are a prevalent weed on my property. It produces quite a bit of seed that is easy to harvest.

Also a good medicinal that seems ubiquitous in many parts of the U.S. is Pineapple Weed:

Pineapple Weed

I use it just like I would its cousin, Chamomile, for stomach upsets and nervousness. It comes up all over the garden so I always let some grow out to collect and to reseed.
edit on 4/23/2011 by czygyny because: spelling!!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz

Whole Plant used for:
Stanch wounds
Cuts
Infections
Coughs
Burns
Dysentery
Anti-coagulant
Antiseptic

Seeds for:
Constipation

S&F

Thanks Squirrelnutz. You ask a very relevant question.

It would be entirely possible to have made this all up and you are right, these are extraordinary claims.

I have eaten Plantain many times and used it on myself for burns, infections and stings with good success.
Personal anecdotes aside, here are some sources -

Books:

Edibility -
Edible Wild Plants by Lee Allen Peterson, Peterson's Field Guides. Houghton-Mifflin Co, 1977. Page 46

Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants, Berkley Books, 1985, Pages 169-174

Medicinal Qualities -
Medicinal Plants by Steven Foster/James A. Duke, Peterson's Field Guides. Houghton-Mifflin Co, 1990. Page 72

American Indian Medicine by Virgil Vogel, University of Oklahoma Press, 1970. Pages 101,107, 128-129, 175.

Hamel, Paul B. and Mary U. Chiltoskey 1975 Cherokee Plants and Their Uses -- A 400 Year History. Sylva, N.C. Herald Publishing Co. (p. 50)

Rousseau, Jacques 1947 Ethnobotanique Abenakise. Archives de Folklore 11:145-182 (p. 172)

Swank, George R. 1932 The Ethnobotany of the Acoma and Laguna Indians. University of New Mexico, M.A. Thesis (p. 61)

Densmore, Frances 1928 Uses of Plants by the Chippewa Indians. SI-BAE Annual Report #44:273-379 (p. 348)

Bocek, Barbara R. 1984 Ethnobotany of Costanoan Indians, California, Based on Collections by John P. Harrington. Economic Botany 38(2):240-255 (p. 11)

Online resources:

This is an excellent site that lists the chemical constituents of various plants, redefine search for each chemical indications and usage:
sun.ars-grin.gov:8080...

Other online resources:

www.altnature.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.kingdomplantae.net...

All too often we simply assume that information someone presents is factual. Any claims made should be verifiable, particularly when it comes to wild plants and their uses. I have a good library of plant reference books which I cross-check information from to ensure that such uses can be substantiated. It is not uncommon for authors to simply copy information from others and perpetuate misinformation.

As for failing to include sources you are absolutely right, I should include them and will make an effort to do so in future postings. In all honesty I didn't think to bother since my last plant post got zero replies.

I'm very happy that so many people are genuinely interested in wild plants and their uses whether or not survival is an issue.

To all who have responded and made contributions in thread all I can say is Thank you all, very much!
edit on 23-4-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added commentary

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Yes folks. Do not try and have the most beautiful lawn like the other suckers in your neighborhood. you cant eat grass when the S%$% hits the fan. God has really blessed me with my own weed garden in my yard hehe. I have many thousands of plantains growing in my yard as well as dandelion, wild strawberries and plenty of pokeweed (gotta be careful with pokeweed needs many boilings to remove the bad stuff) but yes i dont cut my grass too much and let these little babys grow. the goal is cut the grass when you have to but love the weeds. if ever tragedy strikes there will be a food source.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I love how Round-up spray always used to have a dandelion on the front packaging. I mean, there's another useful "weed". It's like we are insane. If it were lettuce or beets growing in our front yard, it would be mass insanity to poor harsh chemicals on those pesky, unwanted plants.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Great thread Mod. Star and Flag. But what is cool and interesting is that I have seen some of these plants near my house in the field on the other side of my neighborhood. Now I know what to do with them. Thanks

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

One more thing to add to the list. If you have a sliver under your finger nail just tear a piece of this plant off place it on your nail and put a band aid over it. In just a few days it will draw the sliver out from under the nail.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
more reading to do but cool post
can it really do all that all that you lieing

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
King's Foil! The real deal.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Nice thread. makes me want to get info on my local vegs.. Thanks

new topics

top topics