It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honeywell fined $12M for 7,500 illegal barrels of radioactive toxic waste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
In the small town of Metropolis, Illinois, where a statue of Superman stands tall, was enough toxic waste being illegally stored to turn the entire town into toxic avengers...if only such toxic waste actually had super power creation abilities. Though the issue appears to have been building since 2002, it was only on March 11, 2011 that the fine was imposed upon Honeywell for their unlawful storage facility.

Union Blows Whistle, Honeywell Fined $12 Million

Honeywell International pleaded guilty in federal court March 11 to knowingly storing hazardous waste without a permit at its southern Illinois facility, a felony. Toxic uranium byproducts were held in 55-gallon metal drums. Workers said the radioactive, corrosive slurry started eating through the walls of the drums within months.

The company paid an $11.8 million fine and will be on probation for five years. No managers were charged.
The fine stemmed from Honeywell’s decision to stack up 7,500 barrels of toxic byproduct from the conversion process around the plant, roughly the size of a football field. The facility is near the Ohio River, which workers feared could become contaminated if toxins leaked.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Meh, that's nothing.

Perhaps you've heard of this little vacation hotspot called Japan? It's been getting glowing reviews lately!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I feel so much better now that the fine will get rid of all that radiation contamination. It's like Global Warming, if we throw enough cash at the problem then it will vanish miraculously.

Imagine how many companies who also do this haven't been caught yet?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy
Meh, that's nothing.

Perhaps you've heard of this little vacation hotspot called Japan? It's been getting glowing reviews lately!

Leaking barrels do pale in comparison.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I feel so much better now that the fine will get rid of all that radiation contamination. It's like Global Warming, if we throw enough cash at the problem then it will vanish miraculously.

Imagine how many companies who also do this haven't been caught yet?

I do agree that the permit and the fine seem to be no solution to the problem, though there certainly was a problem on more than one front. The first being Honeywell's greed trumping safety or truth, nothing at all uncommon in any large group be it corporate, governmental, or organizational. The last of which being the organization - how long did it take the employess to bring this to light, and was it only after they were hit financially that they decided this could strike back at Honeywell financially?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Imagine if they actually have to pay that 'fine' lol,The idea of laws is just to keep the population in check and actually enforcing them is just another well executed troll by the elite.

The only people who have to abide by the law are us and i've been saying F*ck that for a long time.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
how does 12 million fix the soon to be dead and the terminally ill children they will bare??
when will the over-powering gluttons of our world realise their biilions (even if burried along side them in a 24c gold coffin) will be dead too!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
WOW! big news for me! honeywell, is a divison that makes FRAM oil filters ( the orange ones are absolute garbage and overpiced, but he extend guards are fabulous...they make the high mileage oil fitler with teflon it it: X) teflon has NO business being in an engine. they also make electronics for furances, and air fitlers for cars, which are amongst the best belive it or not. I bought a honeywell air fitler back in 2005, form a home depot. damn thing stopped working after a week. they exchanged it for me, after alot of paperwork and proof i boughtit thier.
dostn suprise me about honeywell, for osme reason. i read about 2 guys who bought a fram filter for their car, dont know what stores though, and upon opening the box..found a ciggarette butt in em! their conclusion..wont be buying a fram again after that. apparently, someone on the assembly line smoked n put the butt in thier.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Whats really sick..is the authoritys knew as far back as 2002,a ccording to this article, and did noting about it till now, letting the radioactive stuff build up, to the point of leaking* sounds intentional to me...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Just like the EPA, FDA and every other regulatory agency. Assumig they even have to pay the government 12 mil how will that clean the mess and the impacts of the mess?

All it is is a BBB bribe. Pay up and the holy grand government will announce your company is once again safe and compassionate.

While the waste still poisons everything.

Good job gov. Good job.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The company cannot even handle this issue for a few months with the drums corroding, let alone 10 years as it fights responsibility. There is still few hundred thousand years to go until this stuff becomes safe, it is not looking good.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Nefarious

And yet if I'm caught throwing a piece of paper on the street I'm fined on the spot and the cop will make me pick it up there and then..

One rule for the rich and corporations, another rule for us...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Does Honeywell ever NOT pollute?

Onandaga Lake in Syracuse; Phoenix, north of the airport; San Fernando Valley; Ironton, Ohio; heck, no company has been linked to more Superfund sites than Honeywell.

top topics

join