It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planets With Two Suns Can Grow Black Trees

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
A couple of people here might be interested in the variety of black plants here on earth.

www.apartmenttherapy.com...

A black Cardinal tropical plant;

Black mondo grass;

Beautiful black Cimicifuga simplex;

Being a hot pepper fan and avid grower, let me present the black pearl.

Small ornimental peppers are usually pequins, colorful growth stages, pungent and flavorful ranging from hot to very very hot, but this award winning black beauty is one of the first black leafed pepper. more on it;
www.parkseed.com...

As far as black trees on earth, that would apparently to be limited to family trees.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Thank you i did not know there was black plants on Earth!. Now we can maybe visualize a little; what it looks like to see a planet with all black plants thank you for the pictures.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The idea of dark or unusual types of photosynthesis is very interesting but the premise that life would evolve independently on another planet to be so similar to life here on earth seems incredibly unrealistic to me.

If they are assessing potential for life to evolve in this way, are they allowing for the myriad evolutionary accidents that would have to happen just for life to reach the level of single-celled organisms and the billions of alternative paths that evolution might go down on other planets?

It seems that their simulations are making gigantic assumptions if they predict that independent evolution on another planet would go through the same sequence as it did here on earth, through a single-celled, prokaryotic phase and onto a symbiant eukaryotic phase of cells joining together as they have here.

This seems as spurious as saying that on planets in multi-star systems humans-type beings would evolve, with the only difference being that they had built-in shades!

I'd love to hear what an evolutionary biologist would say about this.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by morkington

Well they don't really have any alien species to base this off of; its just an example, they aren't asserting that plants exists on all life based worlds.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join