It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Deleting Videos April 29, 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Here we go....

One of my colleagues in Switzerland just forwarded an email from Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) which includes a very important update regarding the Google Video service. Two years ago Google announced that they would discontinue support for uploads to Google Video. At that time Google noted, “Don’t worry, we’re not removing any content hosted on Google Video — this just means you will no longer be able to upload new content to the service.” It appears that might be changing. The email below (in German) basically includes the following changes: * As of April 29, 2011, you will no longer be able to view videos hosted on Google Video * As of May 13, 2011, you will no longer be able to download videos hosted on Google Video * Google suggests you re-upload your videos to YouTube Update Friday 9pm: We can now confirm that these changes are worldwide. Early this morning we reported that the changes might be for the German Google Video but the email below (now in English) confirms that the changes are worldwide. From testing with my Swiss colleague, it seems that the download button is visible on German Google Video while my U.S. version does not currently display the download button on the videos I’ve uploaded to Google Video. If you want to download your videos (which is probably a good idea) and the download button isn’t visible, you can use the following link to download your videos. Just hover over the link “Edit Video Info” and copy the CID into the following link: * www.google.com... Here’s the full email in German – I tried to find a place to link to for an English translation but came up empty as Google Translate and Babelfish don’t provide direct links. Dear Google Video User, Later this month, hosted video content on Google Video will no longer be available for playback. Google Video stopped taking uploads in May 2009 and now we’re removing the remaining hosted content. We’ve always maintained that the strength of Google Video is its ability to let people search videos from across the web, regardless of where those videos are hosted. And this move will enable us to focus on developing these technologies further to the benefit of searchers worldwide. On April 29, 2011, videos that have been uploaded to Google Video will no longer be available for playback. We’ve added a Download button to the video status page, so you can download any video content you want to save. If you don’t want to download your content, you don’t need to do anything. (The Download feature will be disabled after May 13, 2011.) We encourage you to move to your content to YouTube if you haven’t done so already. YouTube offers many video hosting options including the ability to share your videos privately or in an unlisted manner. To learn more go here. Here’s how to download your videos: 1. Go to the Video Status page. 2. To download a video to your computer, click the Download Video link located on the right side of each of your videos in the Actions column. Once a video has been downloaded, “Already Downloaded” will appear next to the Download Video link. If you have many videos on Google Video, you may need to use the paging controls located on the bottom right of the page to access them all. Please note: This download option will be available through May 13, 2011. Read more: www.centernetworks.com...

-Source-

Google owns YouTube, just had a thought when they terminate Google Video, will they shortly thereafter terminate YouTube?

I think it is very interesting how Google Video is supposed to email all video uploaders to inform them of what is going to be happening soon but so many people are NOT getting these email AND there videos have already mysteriously vanished.....

They are doing this I think because in the process of terminating Google Video and merging stuff to YouTube, there are all these videos that are going to get deleted in the process of these events, but what videos? Now that makes you wonder.

Rec0mmendati0n

DOWNLOAD as many videos as possible. Checkout TubeTilla - Free

UPLOAD as many videos as possible, even if it is just one or two, on one site or many, anything is better than nothing

Here are some more news articles

gigaom.com...

techcrunch.com...

www.lifehacker.com.au...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
They are cleaning up drive space to make room for the cloud.

Ever wonder why a few years ago all these online services were limiting drive space and then all of sudden many places are offering gigs upon gigs of free storage. HMMM....I wonder what that would be for.
edit on 18-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
No, they are not going to ever, ever terminate youtube. They're getting rid of gvid precisely because it is redundant to youtube for the most part. So don't worry, all those UFO videos taken by someone waving a cell phone while jumping on a trampoline which is set atop a speeding midnight train aren't going anywhere.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
They are cleaning up drive space to make room for the cloud.

Ever wonder why a few years ago all these online services were limiting drive space and then all of sudden many places are offering gigs upon gigs of free storage. HMMM....I wonder what that would be for.
edit on 18-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

They are not cleaning up drive space, because they have more than you can possibly imagine (and I know this for fact, though you're not obliged to believe me since I can't name my source due to confidentiality). It's the resources in terms of staff that are being redirected (not so much cut, as they're still largely in a hiring phase).

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Snf Thanks for the heads up. Good job on your
OP as well.

Lifttheviel

I bet this is only the beginning of the things they have planned for stopping the flow?
edit on 18-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Can always use YAHOO video and Disclose.tv

We will see soon if Yahoo will do the same thing soon so that will tell
us that they would like to have a better control over the video that you guys
upload. And you know that Youtube is Fast on the delete button

edit on 18-4-2011 by knowneedtoknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
No, they are not going to ever, ever terminate youtube. They're getting rid of gvid precisely because it is redundant to youtube for the most part. So don't worry, all those UFO videos taken by someone waving a cell phone while jumping on a trampoline which is set atop a speeding midnight train aren't going anywhere.

Now that was funny well worth the star!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spydrbyte25

Think on this.....is it really a "conspiracy" if they ANNOUNCE IT almost a month in advance???

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spydrbyte25
Google owns YouTube, just had a thought when they terminate Google Video, will they shortly thereafter terminate YouTube?

I highly doubt it. Youtube is a very strong income of ad revenue for Google. This is more then likely nothing more then a completion of a focus change for Google.

Truth be told, I'm not a fan of Google anymore. I suggest using lesser known sites to upload videos, but that's just me.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

I suggest using lesser known sites to upload videos..

We may then have to suggest to ATS Admin to provide direct embedding codes for those, as well??

new topics

top topics

join