It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To War or Not to War..........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
If you were in charge, what would be your solution to this "War on Terror"?

Would you continue the war, send more guys over there?

Bomb the whole country and kill everyone?

Bring our guys home?

Negotiate with the terrorists?

What would be your suggestion?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I would NOT give American contractors the rights to secure areas of high oil production.

I would NOT treat Prisoners of War cruel by having them pose in various degrading positions.

I would NOT attack the wrong country while ignoring where the real terrorists that threatened the US came from.

I would have read important memo's regarding the threat to the United States in order to avoid the entire situation.

...the list could go on, but I assume you were getting that idea...

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Negotiation and helping the countrys in a profitable way for both sides, war is pointless, no matter what you never really win a war. You think thye won the war in iraq there wrong they one the battle in iraq, all they are doing is causeing more hate to there country. Alot of people just say "if they hate us nuke them" well if it gets to that im sorry to say with the amount of countrys that would rise up against the United States you would end up destroying the world, you would poison the planet to the point where even the U.S.A cant live in it.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
IMO the USA is facing more of a threat to their country and people then they ever have before.

I would say that if the US dropped out of this war on terror now they would be putting their gaurd down completely. I mean the US has made a decision to start this war with the Islamic terrorists that dont care if Bush or Kerry is on power. They want everyone that is American (or coalition) dead. plain and simple.

I think that the US has to keep pushing forward in their effort to capture the main leaders of these terrorist cells, then they will have to capture the apprentice terroist leaders. It will be a long, vicious battle and might never end because of what the terroists belive...this is a holy war, a religious war. I would expect thousands of years of bitterness between these countrys now.

So my answer is the USA might even have boost its coalition and/or put more troops out there, in more countrys, for many more years. If they ever want to see a end to this...if there ever will be an end to this.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
With everyone complaining on the way things are going, I would have thought alot more than three people would have answered this post!

Anyway, I would think the thing to do would be to make the peace/mend some fences and get together with more world leaders to come up with a solution, as this issue not only affects the US, it affects the entire world and it's peoples.

More countries need to share the burden financially and help restructure Iraq. The more we continue to to try and do this ourselves, the more we are taking away from Iraq's history and culture and trying to make it more like the US.

This just builds resentment and contempt for the US. Additionally, I believe this challenges the terrorists. They want us out of their country, we continue to occupy their land, they grab and behead our people as they feel as tho we are trying to take over their country.

Isn't that what we are doing in a sense~ we are telling them "Look, you are a 100 years behind in the times, you need to wake up to reality and the rest of the world. Be more like us, or what we view as "civililzed"".

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I would probably send more guys there becasue if we leave, like HumptyDumpty, said we will just be letting our gaurd down. Trying to negotiate with terrorist won't work because also like what HumptyDumpty said, they see this as a Holy war, and negotiating with Al queda won't work because its on a more personal level.

Plus I don't no why the call this "The War on Terror" because its not a war, its more like playing "hide and go seek" with a midget.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This whole situation is a 'catch 22', basically, makes me wish I had thrown on some nikes and caught a ride outta here on the Hale Bopp comet. If I were in charge of the US in the current situation, I would have put alot more CIA operatives in the middle east from the moment Bin Laden declared war on the US way back when, similar to Israel, but not with all the land disputing and home bulldozing, which is wrong, but ya gotta admit, they know where the terrorist leaders are, and when they choose to do so, they take em out. That would be the way I would want to handle the terrorists, devastating, high technology, precision strikes coupled with large amounts of intelligence, as well as a knowledge and understanding of the culture itself, so we can appeal to the people not to support these madmen who will only bring them down and oppress them if given the chance, while at the same time not making it seem like a war of cultures or religion, which is a major mistake Bush has made. It would be a difficult undertaking, but worth the effort. But all of that is assuming this war on terror is truly as it seems, theres alot of theories abound, so youll get alot of different answers to this inquiry. If I were in charge of everything, I would do away with organized religion, thats the main problem in the world, all people should realize we are part of the same plane of existence, and that old world religions have no place in todays world. Not to say there is no higher power, but people need to let go of their belief that they must 'worship' and do the bidding of a said god, because somebody who claims to have a connection to this said god told them that is what this god wishes. People should not worship or grovel to a god theyve only been told exists, but should worship life itself and treat everybody with respect. Then terrorism wouldnt exist in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I would have been a bit more tactical and clandestine. I would have started a propaganda campaign which would have done everything we could to take over the TV networks and radio waves in the region. I would want the people to have more dissent than they did pre-Iraq War II. Such a fatal flaw IMHO is that we were going off of what people thought back in the early 90's about Saddam. The youth didnt have any exposure to Iraq pre-Saddam and thought this was the way its supposed to be in a country. The youth didnt know how Iraq used to be before the Ba'ath party came into power. We made a big mistake because those are the insurgents our troops are fighting today. They didnt see what the ba'ath party did with their own eyes and they believed this to be more normal than anyone of us who has grown up in a westernized civilization. We would need to get them to start thinking for themselves and to look at things like we do here. We are pretty much raised to quesiton authority, hell America was founded on that belief. Anyway, I am going on a rant here. The point I am getting at is to create the dissent and distabilize the country from the inside out. We get the people working on spreading the word that there is another way to live. Then we help fund them and train them so they can actually fight for themselves. The last step would have to be a tactical coup which would throw the whole region off and force the U.N. to come in after the uprising took out the top Ba'ath party leaders. This would help the whole world take the shock a bit easier. It would cause the smallest amount of life to be lost and they would be able to get a new government that doesnt kill you for looking at someone the wrong way. Although this is very idealistic because you all know the U.N. would debate helping the country out so long that the country would just be a big hole in the ground before they even decided to deploy troops.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mako0956
. . .what would be your solution to this "War on Terror"?

As the situation stands, I can only assume that there is a great increase of anti-West sentiment amongst those we have attacked.
Which in turn has increased the terrorist threat.

To prevent this reality, I would have asked for the reason behind 9/11.

Terrorism is defined by reason, which usually comes in the form of demands for change or money.
Otherwise it is an act of murder.

If Osama bin Laden was responsible for the attack, I would negotiate for his capture and arrest (if push came to shove, I would consider using a small 'elite' team to capture him and bring him to a fair trial) - I wouldn't attack an entire country and certainly wouldn't attack two under a pack of lies.

Imagine the Oklahoma bomber blowing up a building in another country and then that country invading your country to root out the 'terrorists'.
Doesn't make sense really, does it?

Understanding a situation is better than not understanding it.

[edit on 28-7-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I don't agree with the current war in the Middle East - it could have been avoided - I will concede that war is sometimes the only option. There is no easy or comfortable way out of the current situation, it would be nice to just end the war tomorrow, but that would not solve anything. The only thing I can think of would be to accelerate the switch-over of power, perhaps by giving hundreds of millions in military aid to Iraq. Anything to bring the troops home ASAP. If the country has been liberated (debateable) then the job is almost done, give them enough money and help to defend themselves and then leave them to it.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
we can not leave, if we do then we lose the precious oil supply. IMO terroists are no threat. they are a simple excuse giving all of the reason for our government to do whatever they want in the name of anti-terrorism. iraq was no threat afganistan was no threat. they had something we needed so we invaded. but of course bush is a complete imbisol he went and beat around the bush and sat on his thumbs. if you are going to do something then do it right! bush is far too sloppy in his work. i am ashamed to live under his rule. then again mabye they want us to beleive that it is a tough war and things are really ugly, when in fact they have everything under complete control and we are whacky for doubting the suppiriority of the United States Of America. there is absolutly no reason to be afraid of anything in this world because we control the world! no one can even scratch us. but the media would lead you to believe we are in a vunerable state of chaos, pure rubbish. the only thing you should be afraid of is this power hungry juggernaut we call the federal government. their overwhelming authority is debilitating our once tranquil society. wake up and smell the BBQ hamburgers the US governments only enemy is the knowledge of their evil deeds.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
First I would go fishing, clearing Yee�o�l head a wee bit. I would then say sorry to the people of Iraq and other parts of the world, where my countries Army went in and destroyed their families and friends, then I would tell the CIA that they have been bad boys, in both feeding the American people with drugs and starting wars in countries that we cant even point to on a world map, taking a little break from it all I would go to the UK ( as I have been working for 6 months none stop!) but I would never make it, as my plane would come down over the Atlantic ocean. People years from now would still talk about a conspiracy, as the CIA would float their own theories on the crash, thus making fools out of conspiracy fact, and by the time people start to realise that maybe there was something to these conspiracy theories, 50 years would have pasted and the people involved would, one would assume, be dead or dying, therefore don�t worry about it, because we are true proud and American, our Government loves us.

[edit on 29-7-2004 by SiCkBoY]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
If I was sending more people to war I would recruit ONLY the people who agreed in the war. Do a poll and gather the people who support the cause and their sons/dads etc. The people who voted for the war and the cheerleaders (sheep) who chant GO TROOPS GO without being in the line of fire themselves.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7th_Chakra
If I was sending more people to war I would recruit ONLY the people who agreed in the war. Do a poll and gather the people who support the cause and their sons/dads etc. The people who voted for the war and the cheerleaders (sheep) who chant GO TROOPS GO without being in the line of fire themselves.

Clap Clap, nice one.

It will never happen, as we all know them who talk about it (like Mr Bush) never could do it.

top topics

join