It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tink...Tink...Tink...chipping away

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The question is amuk does it matter if my morals and values are based on the bible or anyother book (say the cat in the hat) or whether they are based on life experiences? We all choose ur morals and values, and we all base them on some sort of belef system. Whether that belef system is pagan, christian, satanic, islamic, or rationalist is irrelevant as they are all systems of belief. Now I agree That I have no right to impose my belefs on you in terms of one individual to another. However when discussing lws we are talking about a type of collective moralty. That is to say it is a shared system of belief in right and wrong. For example I am sure there are people in this country who believe there is nothing wrong with murder for revenge, however we as a society recognise the right to impose our collective morality on those individuals regardless of thier personal belefs. (this by the way was nothing more than an extremly overexaggerated example to make point I do not believe that homosexual marriage is on the same level as murder) So the question becomes do we as a society have the right to collectivly define marriage as the union between one man and one woman. Based on prior legal decisions relating to religon (which is a constitutionally protected right as opposed to lifestyle which is not) I believe we do. As an example I put forth the ruling that Mormons are not legally allowed to practice polygamy which is a tenet of thier religon. However whether or not we as a society determine that we wish to define marriage thusly is not up to you or to me but to us.

Now back to the cental question of the thread, should congress take this action and bar the supreme court from ruling on the constituionality of this or any other law I for one would take any action needed to stop that from happening, up to and including considering open rebellion. I love this country with all of my heart, and would not stand idly by and allow anyone to subvert, the constitution or its intent. In truth I feel that congress should be severly repremanded for even considering this course of action and any representatives who attempt to endorse it should be tried for treason, or at the very least voted out of office and barred from ever serving in any leadership role again.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

<< 1   >>

join