It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British men shot dead on holiday in Sarasota, Florida

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
link

Two British friends have been shot dead while on holiday in Florida, police in the US have said.James Kouzaris, 24, from Northampton, and James Cooper, 25, from Warwick, were found by police in the city of Sarasota, early on Saturday morning

Pretty strange double murder..and the murderer is 16 years old!!??

Does anyone live near Sarasota?? Sounds like a random place for two Brits to be at 3am like.

Possibly just a random act of madness - very sad.
edit on 18/4/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: punch too achion

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flying Sorcerer
link

Two British friends have been shot dead while on holiday in Florida, police in the US have said.James Kouzaris, 24, from Northampton, and James Cooper, 25, from Warwick, were found by police in the city of Sarasota, early on Saturday morning

Does anyone live near Sarasota?? Sounds like a random place for two Brits to be at 3am like.

Not a single murder in Sarasota in more than a year and then two British tourists show up and all hell breaks loose.

Perhaps Floridians are just sick of being inundated with British tourists each spring like a flock of migratory birds?

They, typically, have different standards of hygiene which can be off-putting and they are known to have a stingy reputation, wrought by their no-tipping mentality and consequent unwillingness to accommodate native cultural norms by tipping, instead imposing their no-tipping cultural morays on residents.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
...so a 16 year old boy is carrying the torch for the future generations to stand up against these pesky Brits by shooting them.

Sounds like you are the one who has the problem with Brits in America. Of course Brits don't understand how tipping people for stuff you have already paid for works.... we don't do it and never have and our culture and history goes a lot further back and is just the norm.

so yeah - back on the topic of a double murder that has # all to do with tipping...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
That's a bit rough - just because they don't tip - some might say you shouldn't have to anyway as the service should be good enough and Tourists bring a lot of money into Florida no matter where they come from.

I hope others from Florida don't have the same approach to foreign tourists and show a little more empathy to their deaths - their families in UK will be heart broken.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by zuul000

Perhaps you would like to know more about the British Lads that you call filthy and tight on the tips -

Officers found the first body surrounded by up to 20 shell casings before discovering the second victim nearby in the early hours of Saturday morning. Local residents had reported what they thought was 'machine gun fire'.
A 16-year-old boy has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder.
James Cooper - who had posted pictures of himself on Facebook from exotic locations around the world - was shot dead three days after his 25th birthday.
He had previously visited Ecuador, Taiwan, Argentina, Vietnam and Laos.
Mr Cooper and Mr Kouzaris, who are believed to have met at Sheffield University, had been due to spend three weeks in Sarasota.

More...
Unwitting audience clap and cheer as teenager stabs himself to death on stage at open mic night
They had been staying on the upmarket island city of Longboat Key, about 12 miles from the less affluent area where they were killed.
Friends and family paid tribute to Mr Kouzaris, known as 'Jam', on his Facebook profile page.
Posts commented on his positivity and one friend said Mr Kouzaris 'lived every day to the fullest'.
Lynn Hucker wrote: 'To a beautiful cousin who I will never forget. Always happy and full of life. You will be so sadly missed James.'
Another post from a friend called Ben Stacey read: 'RIP Jam, absolute legend. It was an honour mate, I was so looking forward to seeing you again in Miami. The month travelling with you was some of the best times I've had and was so thankful I met you. Rated you very highly XO'.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by zuul000

Sounds like a great place to take a holiday - Brits Beware!

The area is a hotspot for gangs.
A police spokesman said: 'This is an area where not many tourists venture. We are still trying to ascertain why they were there.'
'Both victims were white,' said Sarasota Police Captain Paul Sutton.
A spokesman for the British consulate in Miami said: 'British consular officials can confirm that two British nationals were killed in Sarasota, Florida, on April 16. Next of kin have been notified.
'Officials from the consulate in Orlando are providing assistance. The two male victims were on holiday in Florida with other family and friends.'
Shootings of British tourists are rare in the U.S. but in November 2009 Thomas Reeve was gunned down while drinking with friends in a Texas bar.
The 28-year-old father of one was in Amarillo, Texas, when the bar he was drinking in was held up by an armed robber.
He was visiting the city during a road trip across the US and had called in at the Spotted Pony Lounge in Amarillo because he liked the 1970s hit 'Is This the Way to Amarillo'.
Mr Reeve, of Maidenhead, Berkshire, was hit in the torso after the robber Ray Carlos Cisneros fired wildly into the bar.
Earlier in the year Craig Elford, 39 and Kenneth Watkinson, 48, were killed in a hit and run accident as they walked back to their hotel in Fort Lauderdale.
The businessmen, who were in the city recruiting for a health firm, were struck by a high powered Porsche sports car and died instantly.
Ryan LeVin, 35, the son of a millionaire, is awaiting trial on vehicular manslaughter charges.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by zuul000

link

Not a single murder in Sarasota in more than a year and then two British tourists show up and all hell breaks loose.

Perhaps Floridians are just sick of being inundated with British tourists each spring like a flock of migratory birds?

They, typically, have different standards of hygiene which can be off-putting and they are known to have a stingy reputation, wrought by their no-tipping mentality and consequent unwillingness to accommodate native cultural norms by tipping, instead imposing their no-tipping cultural morays on residents.

Aww you didn't get your couple dollar tip, quick let's shoot the foreigners!!! To be honest, when Americans come here, they love jumping on the no tip bandwagon. Perhaps Florida would figuratively 'fall off the map' without tourists.
edit on 18/4/2011 by just_julie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I'm in Oz by the way, I'm not British.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
He had previously visited Ecuador, Taiwan, Argentina, Vietnam and Laos.

bet he didn't tip in any of those places either

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Sounds like you are the one who has the problem with Brits in America. Of course Brits don't understand how tipping people for stuff you have already paid for works....

When in Rome ...

It's unfortunate when a gaggle of ugly foreigners shows up to a country demanding everything be changed to accommodate their "superior" culture. I recall, once in Cambodia, a noisy Briton screaming at the poor bell attendant that they didn't have crushed - only cubed - ice at the hotel.

The British really have a just awful reputation everywhere they travel and, after muttering under their breath and rolling their eyes at one appearing, service staff worldwide heave a sigh of relief when they leave. That explains the line in the U.S.' national anthem, "their blood has washed out their foul footsteps pollution."

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I know for a fact that experienced servers in the US give Brits lousy service. They know the Brits will not tip, so they figure they are a waste of time. They are not the only group who gets this treatment, including some ethnic/religious groups from the U.S.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
I know for a fact that experienced servers in the US give Brits lousy service. They know the Brits will not tip, so they figure they are a waste of time.

True. It's really the same way in Mexico and Brazil, too, vis a vis non-tipping Britons. People throughout the western hemisphere hate British tourists. My feeling has always been that, if you have no respect for native culture, you would be better off just staying home. British tourists also tend to litter quite a bit. They produce a lot of trash and filth and they usually just discard it wherever they're standing. Supposedly that's how they live, too, in their home environment. It's really disgusting.

But I'm getting off topic. What are some other stories readers have about the horror of poor-tipping Brits? Let's hear them!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by zuul000

Tell me now do you tip in Burger king/kfc/Maccy dee's? No? I dont get it why don't the yanks consider these people who serve food and work hard to provide a service worthy of a tip?

edit on 18-4-2011 by skiffguard1 because: afterthought

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by zuul000

As the reputation of the English abroad, are you serious?
The fat yanks are the most despised race in the world.I seriously doubt its safe for then to even visit 80% of countries.As Mozzer says quite eloquently.
"In America, It brought you the hamburger, Well America you know where, You can shove your hamburger
And don't you wonder, Why in Estonia they say, Hey you, Big fat pig
You fat pig, You fat pig"

edit on 18-4-2011 by skiffguard1 because: ..

edit on 18-4-2011 by skiffguard1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
WTF was a sixteen yr old kid doing with a sub machinegun like weapon?
Was this a robbery gone sour?
Were these guys just looking to score a bag of weed or what?
Sounds like theres a whole lot being not said.....
The guys were pretty young and could have been frisky when tey should have been paying attention too....
More needs to come out here despite the non tipping part.....

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Seriously, if you believe for one moment that a black sixteen year old gangbanger from the projects is going around murdering white English tourists due to their alleged bad tipping habits then you're in need of psychiatric attention.

Zulooo is obviously a disgruntled waitress who is essentially blaming the tourists for the lack of real wages paid by his employer.
As for "when in Rome" zulooo, can you make the overweight Yanks that clog up London and Bath all day stop shouting instead of talking,maybe stop eating some part of the day,or god forbid learn to drive a car with gears.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Sounds like you are the one who has the problem with Brits in America. Of course Brits don't understand how tipping people for stuff you have already paid for works.... we don't do it and never have and our culture and history goes a lot further back and is just the norm.

In America in most states waitstaff is paid a token wage, (ie $2.15 cents an hour) and the tips ARE their wage. I know Britain is the center of the universe, but when in Rome do as the Romans do or stay on your rainy little island with your long history.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by skiffguard1

Ive been to Britain, and you all have quite a few porkers of your own too, so really you have no room to talk about fat Americans. Many of us are NOT obese and the sterotypes are getting old.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by skiffguard1
reply to post by zuul000

As the reputation of the English abroad, are you serious?
The fat yanks are the most despised race in the world.

If typical Brits, they were probably loudly saying this everywhere they went. Their rude discourtesy got them shot, most likely.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
May sound like a broken record from other posts, but you can't just kill someone because they don't have your cleanliness standards or don't tip. Though I'm not saying that's what was meant by the comment, of Floridians being tired of it. Isn't that why most terrorists are considered immoral. Cause they are willing to kill people because they don't like other countries norms? A slippery slope .

Just my 2 cents
edit on 26-4-2011 by thesolutionisrevolution because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join