It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this red dot in the sky?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Hi. Just came across this interesting video. Wondering on some ideas about what it could be.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by rabzdguy

i never seen the moon with so enlightment

edit on 11/04/11 by LaTouffe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Its a lens flare or a reflection. The video was shot behind a window, I would bet.

Look a little closer.
edit on 17-4-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Im going to guess that he's filming it through some glass and the red dot is a reflection of the video camera record light
Or could be lens flare as said above too
edit on 17-4-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It is definitely lens flare.

The full moon at night can look extremely bright through a camera. When I tried to video tape a brief shot of the Supermoon last month, I was surprised just how much light was coming off of it. Even after stopping my lens down all the way it was too bright and I had to start using my neutral density filters to cut the light to 1/16 before I could resolve the moon's features. This had been the first time I'd ever tried to shoot the full moon at night, so I learned some things.

With a light that bright, it's no surprise at all you are seeing a lens flare. That's just what happens.
edit on 4/17/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

[color=dodgerblue]Thats funny. We must have had the same idea. I went to edit my post and came back to see that you beat me to it

Star for you!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
It is definitely lens flare.

The full moon at night can look extremely bright through a camera. When I tried to video tape a brief shot of the Supermoon last month, I was surprised just how much light was coming off of it. Even after stopping my lens down all the way it was too bright and I had to start using my neutral density filters to cut the light to 1/16 before I could resolve the moon's features. This had been the first time I'd ever tried to shoot the full moon at night, so I learned some things.

With a light that bright, it's no surprise at all you are seeing a lens flare. That's just what happens.
edit on 4/17/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

I see the camera light reflection, mainly to the right. But to me, the red dot to the lower left appears to stay proportionately affixed in its position at the lower left of the moon. Don't lens flares drift in pictures?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Notice the red object reflection around 0:48 in the video. Got to be a window reflection.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by forall2see
I see the camera light reflection, mainly to the right. But to me, the red dot to the lower left appears to stay proportionately affixed in its position at the lower left of the moon. Don't lens flares drift in pictures?

This is what I was thinking. You can see the lens flare moving around as the camera moves, and it is a reflection of both the moon and the red object. But really, the red object looks pretty fixed in the sky as the moon does. Not saying it is a UFO or anything, but I was just unsure of the lens flare answer. Interesting video though for sure! But, the filming through window glass is the more likely answer.
edit on 4/17/2011 by ChachiArcola because: Added info.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Well I'm no video expert. I simply do not see anything wrong with the video. I went frame by frame several times from :46 to :50 seconds in and I see nothing wrong.

Who knows what it is though.... could be the latest version of Chinese lanterns

edit on 4/17/2011 by forall2see because: Went ninja for a second

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I see the reflection around :50 and at other moments, and as expected it moves aound as his camera does.
How could a lens flare stay stable in relation to the moon, while the camera is not stable?
Same question regarding a reflection of the light on the camera on a window- camera moving wouldn't make the light move also?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by coquine

Hmmm yes I see your point!

Maybe some other light source behind the person then. Or maybe a real object right next to the moon that no one else noticed.

You pays your money you takes your choice

new topics

top topics

join