It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emails expose BP's attempts to control research into impact of Gulf oil spill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Emails expose BP's attempts to control research into impact of Gulf oil spill

www.guardian.co.uk

BP officials tried to take control of a $500m fund pledged by the oil company for independent research into the consequences of the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster, it has emerged.

Documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act show BP officials openly discussing how to influence the work of scientists supported by the fund, which was created by the oil company in May last year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Toxicologist: Corexit Destroys Basic Biological Structure Of Life *Video*
Paper: Corexit appears to be washing up at Gulf beaches; Biodegradation “may not be happening” a
Corexit Allows Oil To Penetrate Into The Cells & Every Organ System In The Body
mobile.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Well, we're not surprised, are we? As far as conspiracies go it's a real no-brainer: BP is forced to provide money to study the impact; BP insists on control.

But it came to light.

I can't help thinking that the unflagging persistence of ATS members like antar and burntheships kept this issue alive, and helped the truth to come out.

So thanks everyone here. Good work.

The article addresses some of the key concerns raised here on ATS. After this expose, hopefully the clean up will get real.

The documents are expected to reinforce fears voiced by scientists that BP has too much leverage over studies into the impact of last year's oil disaster.

Those concerns go far beyond academic interest into the impact of the spill. BP faces billions in fines and penalties, and possible criminal charges arising from the disaster. Its total liability will depend in part on a final account produced by scientists on how much oil entered the gulf from its blown-out well, and the damage done to marine life and coastal areas in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. The oil company disputes the government estimate that 4.1m barrels of oil entered the gulf.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Some Justice Finally

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AOA2012
Some Justice Finally

I want to be happy too.... but I wouldn't expect real justice.... real justice would force them to empty their coffers while facing mandated disclosure... which would expose all other oil companies and their banker controllers, by bringing them and their international political influence, into the light.... Something tells me that they won't allow that to happen.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Justice ... what is this justice? Can't find it in the dictionary ... what is that gibberish you typing??

/sarcasm

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I think you're right. Reel justice for the filthy rich is paying .5% of half a fiscal quarter in finds (Ballpark). WTF. They caused a major ecologiacal disaster. Lock 'em up!!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
There wont be any man made "justice" in here, as all they could do even if "justice" went down at them would be to throw money at the problem but money cant replace food chains, or environmental impacts, or the millions of lives of sea critters everywhere in the gulf, as the event didn't obey orders and is now not localized, spreading further and further.

What will most likely happen is retribution in the form of an exchange in energy, imagine for a second the quantity of wasted energy free flowing in the sea water, what unimagined events led to the production of all of those quantities of oil, plant and animal matter transformed into fossil fuels, who had an existence before, who gathered and exchanged energy to the environment.

We saw in Japan an exchange of energy, we take much more than we are able to return and close the circle, and when we return it we give it back as crap and trash.
The planet will purge itself as it has always done, this will be the price to pay, and its not justice for me at least, "but just" the byproduct of a broken cycle.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AOA2012
Some Justice Finally

Justice is only served to those who can't afford to buy their way out of it!

edit on 15-4-2011 by iLoGiCViZiOnS because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Nefarious

these people have no sense of anything!
I love it, its better than the alternative!, more toxicity in chocolate, and he also says that its clean and dispersed.
One really wonders, but fact is that the majority believes in the mass media, and the majority wins, almost every-time, by sheer bulk...

are we really that blind, it sure looks that way!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Nefarious

Good stuff. Thanks.

...We are being manipulated right along with the "information" that's fed to us. No doubt.

S&

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I always found it so ridiculous that people didn't realize the whole point of the dispersant was to conceal the magnitude of the leak and avoid the immediate visible decimation of the shoreline.

Corexit gave them the opportunity to cover the oil accumulations by burying them. Without it, they could never have concealed the accumulations as they did. Corexit kept 90% of the devastation underwater....

Just a theory....

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Bunch of scumbags, If the supreme court says corporations are people, then by golly they need to face criminal charges just like a person would. This double standard we have with these companies just boggles the mind.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneEyedProphet
There wont be any man made "justice" in here, as all they could do even if "justice" went down at them would be to throw money at the problem but money cant replace food chains, or environmental impacts, or the millions of lives of sea critters everywhere in the gulf, as the event didn't obey orders and is now not localized, spreading further and further.

What will most likely happen is retribution in the form of an exchange in energy, imagine for a second the quantity of wasted energy free flowing in the sea water, what unimagined events led to the production of all of those quantities of oil, plant and animal matter transformed into fossil fuels, who had an existence before, who gathered and exchanged energy to the environment.

We saw in Japan an exchange of energy, we take much more than we are able to return and close the circle, and when we return it we give it back as crap and trash.
The planet will purge itself as it has always done, this will be the price to pay, and its not justice for me at least, "but just" the byproduct of a broken cycle.

Nice post btw. Starred a while ago.

Worth repeating.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
nothing to see here please step to the right and please enjoy the kool-aid... these guys wont admit to it i think its all part of some twisted idea to thin the herd with japan and the gulf we here in the states should have some delicious rain this summer

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
This really is a huge story...people need to talk about this and get it out there...BP have tried to play the innocent card for too long...they are clearly a bunch of money hungry fools that will manipulate their way out of any bad situation.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
My question is for everyone on this board, does this suprise anyone that bp are doing this,bp have no choice but too do this as there is a monetary incentive to hush this all up,they are trying to limit acountability on thier part

You can safely say bp have got away with this and they know this,will they continue as the same old bp that got themselves into the situation in the first place,hell yes

Who has the power and authority to stop them and hold them to account,where is that person ????

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Russell Putt, a BP environmental expert, wrote in an email to colleagues on 24 June 2010: "Can we 'direct' GRI [Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative] funding to a specific study (as we now see the governor's offices trying to do)? What influence do we have over the vessels/equipment driving the studies vs the questions?".

So... BP wants to redirect some of the funding, so that a specific type of research can be done. Before anyone else replies to this thread, think about that statement for a brief moment. If British Petroleum is trying to find logical solutions, why should they not be able to direct funds towards a specific study?

My questions to everyone...
(1) If your company was responsible for a major oil spill (leak), would you do everything possible to fix the mess you made?
(2) If you saw a more affective means to fix the oil spill (leak), would you want to redirect funding towards its research and development?

Some of these protest threads are opened with insane logic. Don't be lead by online hobbyist articles who are looking to start trouble. People need to stop spinning this stuff.

I congratulate BP for stepping up to the plate, so that a more viable solution can be found.

edit on 16-4-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Section31

I think the insane logic is to propose your conclusion as though your single consideration went beyond a single fact. Maybe you should read up on a lot more information regarding what's going on down there.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Section31
reply to post by soficrow

Russell Putt, a BP environmental expert, wrote in an email to colleagues on 24 June 2010: "Can we 'direct' GRI [Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative] funding to a specific study (as we now see the governor's offices trying to do)? What influence do we have over the vessels/equipment driving the studies vs the questions?".

So... BP wants to redirect some of the funding, so that a specific type of research can be done. Before anyone else replies to this thread, think about that statement for a brief moment. If British Petroleum is trying to find logical solutions, why should they not be able to direct funds towards a specific study?

My questions to everyone...
(1) If your company was responsible for a major oil spill (leak), would you do everything possible to fix the mess you made?
(2) If you saw a more affective means to fix the oil spill (leak), would you want to redirect funding towards its research and development?

Some of these protest threads are opened with insane logic. Don't be lead by online hobbyist articles who are looking to start trouble. People need to stop spinning this stuff.

I congratulate BP for stepping up to the plate, so that a more viable solution can be found.

edit on 16-4-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

I am completely dumbfounded by what you just said

<<   2 >>

join