It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes Ryan's 2012 budget plan; conservatives want more cuts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
What would we look like as a debtor nation?
Begging doesn't come easy. . . .
We already are a debtor nation my friend. Take a look around, take off those emerald colored glasses and see Oz as it truly is.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I am by no means an expert in economics but I have to wonder, how did those that survived the Great Depression get through that? Is what's happening now in any way similar to those times? We did get out of that, and is there a possibility we can get out of this now?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

I think that many will survive. But most are unprepared. Just look how reliant we are on technology, and government handouts now!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
reply to post by beezzer

I am by no means an expert in economics but I have to wonder, how did those that survived the Great Depression get through that? Is what's happening now in any way similar to those times? We did get out of that, and is there a possibility we can get out of this now?
One huge difference, they grew most of their own food. Where do most people get their food now?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I remember my mom's stories of how she grew up without not having enough to eat...I mean she's told me her dad fried lard for them to eat! Shudder...I just cannot imagine being in that type of position; being so poor you can't feed your kids, you know? With all the fuel and oil prices that are on the rise, it makes me wonder what if?

I worked for my county welfare office and saw the rise in clients who came in for food stamps (now called food support) and it was crazy. The policy changed to make it easier to qualifty for them, which in my opinion had something to do with the Department of Agriculture, that's where the program comes out of, I believe. Why the push for making people dependent?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

When people are dependent, they don't think for themselves, they don't question authority. When the only thoughts are of feeding your family for the next few days, deciding who will lead politically tends to fade to the background.
Now would be the time to plan ahead, though. I really don't see it getting better anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree with you on preparing now, have been for quite some time. I only wish we could have learned from the past mistakes so that we can avoid a repeat. Some people I have talked to say the economy is so manipulated there's no need to worry, that TPTB can continue on their path and print and print more money. I am dubious of that, however.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I'm no expert, but the more money printed, devalues it at the same time. So they can print double what we have, but in essence, it'll be worth half of what we'll see.

We may have twice as much, but everything will double in cost.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Well, that's true. Most people I know don't have the foggiest idea on how to grow a garden and to be honest, it's physical labor which oftentimes is encompassed by bugs, bugs that bite and annoy and then you have the sweat dripping into your eyes. People have lost skills because this world is all about material comfort.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Well, that's true. Most people I know don't have the foggiest idea on how to grow a garden and to be honest, it's physical labor which oftentimes is encompassed by bugs, bugs that bite and annoy and then you have the sweat dripping into your eyes. People have lost skills because this world is all about material comfort.

Everything you have stated is true. People are going to have to toughen up and learn how to actually "work for a living" literally. People will also have to learn that there is no such thing as a free lunch....People will have to carry their own load ...or starve...A hard line i suppose but reality....

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

People will have to learn how to grow food, hunt, treat minor injuries, ailments. They will have to learn how to walk to the store, live without tweeting. blogging, satellite tv, internet.

Hmmm. . . . where's the downside again?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

People will have to learn how to grow food, hunt, treat minor injuries, ailments. They will have to learn how to walk to the store, live without tweeting. blogging, satellite tv, internet.

I do like your attitude !!! One day at a time....People are good at heart....some just don't realize it yet...lol...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Downside? I don't see one at all. Personal freedom and personal responsibility go hand in hand.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Personal freedom and personal responsibility go hand in hand.

If I ever got a tattoo, it'd have that on it!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Downside? I don't see one at all. Personal freedom and personal responsibility go hand in hand.

So right ! I remember some of the best times I had raising my children happened during power outages. We actually had the chance to enjoy each others company unfettered by electrical contrivances. The ability to depend and interact with people on a personal level has no down side.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'll not engage in conjecture regarding purported eminent economic collapse but will address OP: House passes Ryan's 2012 budget plan; conservatives want more cuts
(mostly recycled content from my other posts, but factual nonetheless. Sources are rock solid/non-partisan.)

The measure is certain to die in the Senate where Democratic leaders have endorsed President Barack Obama’s competing call to reduce the deficit through a combination of tax increases and spending cuts.

It would also cut the top corporate and individual tax rates from 35 percent to 25 percent. The plan wouldn’t balance the government’s books until 2040.

No Democrats voted today for Ryan’s plan while four Republicans opposed it: Representatives Denny Rehberg of Montana, David McKinley of West Virginia, Walter Jones of North Carolina and Ron Paul of Texas.
[my bold for emphasis]

BLOOMBERG NEWS

Odd that Ron Paul was only one of four nays. I thought he was the lil' darling of the Teabaggers. Anyone care to explain the NO vote? More on Ryan's Plan:

Critics say Ryan's plan won't help to lighten the debt load. Indeed, it would actually increase the federal debt from $15 trillion to $23.1 trillion.

"Republicans want to spend $40 trillion over 10 years. That averages a staggering $4 trillion per year.

SOURCE

And how's that TEA PARTY fiscal conservatism working fer ya?

(CNSNews.com) - The federal government has already borrowed an additional $803.73 per each household in the United States since the Republican House majority elected last November enacted its first law governing federal spending.

On March 2, the day that first Republican-approved CR became law, the national debt was $14.1785 trillion ($14,178,525,108,267.60), according to the Bureau of the Public Debt. As of now, the national debt is $14.2729 trillion ($14,272,993,603,617.44).

That means the debt has increased $94.5 billion ($94,468,495,349.84) since the Republican-controlled House gained constitutional control of the federal purse strings.

www.cnsnews.com...

After 5 months in office, the braggadocio of the Tea Party candidates are seeming a little decaffeinated.

edit on 15-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

This is why Ron Paul opposed the Ryan budget.

Paul, who will turn 76 this summer, said Ryan’s plan doesn’t go nearly far enough toward dismantling the welfare state. “We are dealing with a problem in Washington as a budgetary accounting problem and that’s not it. It’s a philosophy problem. What is the philosophy of government? What should the role of government be?”

www.rlc.org...

He also went on to say it didn't defund spending on "maintaining our empire and being policeman of the world"

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Social Security need to be shut down.

Medicare needs to be shut down.

All welfare programs need to be shut down.

All federal departments created in the last 75 years need to be shut down.

The IRS needs to be shut down.

The "Federal" "Reserve" "Bank" needs to be shut down.

Income Taxes need to be abolished.

Pretty much the entire Federal Government needs to be shut down and audited and the money stolen from the American citizens refunded.

Then the criminal trials for those who have failed to defend the Constitution should begin.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
Income Taxes need to be abolished.

Pretty much the entire Federal Government needs to be shut down and audited and the money stolen from the American citizens refunded.

Then the criminal trials for those who have failed to defend the Constitution should begin.

OK, so if you just shut the entire government down and abolished taxes, who pays for the lights in the courtroom, the judges, the bailiffs et al? Who maintains the interstate highways to travel to the proceedings? Who monitors the air traffic to fly to those meetings? What Federal facility (now defunct) are the "criminals" to be housed in and monitored by whom? Or do you just hang them in public at the behest of an angry mob? You call that justice?

Obviously you haven't thought this through. Just more meaningless drum pounding and fife blowing.
edit on 16-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I have an idea.
Why don't we raise taxes, AND cut expenses!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join