It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili
reply to post by Annee

Lets void forced "tolerance" as well.

People are free to dislike others for whatever reason they choose.
Let me explain tolerance.

I tolerate you, because I must in the parameters of the T n C. However, I also dislike you, because you are a garden variety homophobe. See? The two go hand in hand.

Citizens are expected to TOLERATE each other, in society as well, however, we retain the Civil Right to DISLIKE each other, immensely if we see fit, thanks to the constitution.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

So you support violating on persons rights in order to make someone else feel good about themselves.

Uh huh - - - what a sorry attempt to twist Equal Rights - - Tolerance and Acceptance - - for a minority group.

Really pathetic.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
[Citizens are expected to TOLERATE each other, in society as well, however, we retain the Civil Right to DISLIKE each other, immensely if we see fit, thanks to the constitution.

Please post any statement that I made that a person has to like another.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Another reason never to live or move to CA.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

[Citizens are expected to TOLERATE each other, in society as well, however, we retain the Civil Right to DISLIKE each other, immensely if we see fit, thanks to the constitution.

I was talking to OP not you Annee!!!! Maybe I messed up mt formatting, sorry you thought it was directed towards you my friend!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people would be added to the lengthy list of social and ethnic groups that public schools must include in social studies lessons under a landmark bill passed Thursday by the California Senate.

If the bill is adopted by the state Assembly and signed by Gov. Jerry Brown, California would become the first state to require the teaching of gay history. Supporters say the move is needed to counter anti-gay stereotypes and beliefs that make children in those groups vulnerable to bullying and suicide.

Opponents counter that such instruction would further burden an already crowded curriculum and expose students to a subject that some parents find objectionable. The legislation, sponsored by Democratic Sen. Mark Leno of San Francisco, passed on a 23-14 party line vote. It also would add disabled people to the curriculum.

Entire article

Lol, the nutjobs in CA never cease to amaze me.

How about spending more time on important subjects like math or science?

No, instead, gay history is more important.

improper comment by me, so i deleted it
edit on 18-4-2011 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Citizens are expected to TOLERATE each other, in society as well, however, we retain the Civil Right to DISLIKE each other, immensely if we see fit, thanks to the constitution.

Thats an oxymoron comment!

Civil rights grant us the freedom to like/dislike whom ever we choose. No where is it written in society that we must tolerate each other. Yes the Constitution grants us this pleasure. The whole reason why we MUST NOT tolerate each other, is the very fact that it goes against the very nature of people. Yes, it would be nice for everything to be rainbows and gay ( no pun intended ), but thats just not how it works.

Regardless though, forcing a society to learn about another's history does nothing for the students, especially when that particular history, ( in this case gay history ) has done nothing to be productive/constructive to society.

Teaching the students about gay history isn't going to someway find a cure for cancer....therefore, unproductive.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I was talking to OP not you Annee!!!! Maybe I messed up mt formatting, sorry you thought it was directed towards you my friend!

No Prob.

Had a 3 year old jumping on me as I was reading. Could be me who read it wrong.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Thats an oxymoron comment!

Civil rights grant us the freedom to like/dislike whom ever we choose. No where is it written in society that we must tolerate each other. Yes the Constitution grants us this pleasure. The whole reason why we MUST NOT tolerate each other, is the very fact that it goes against the very nature of people. Yes, it would be nice for everything to be rainbows and gay ( no pun intended ), but thats just not how it works.

Regardless though, forcing a society to learn about another's history does nothing for the students, especially when that particular history, ( in this case gay history ) has done nothing to be productive/constructive to society.

Teaching the students about gay history isn't going to someway find a cure for cancer....therefore, unproductive.

really?? does that apply to confederate history, or jewish history, or black history, or the history of christianity in america?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

By tolerate I mean you have no right to deny them the same the rights you enjoy. By dislike I mean just that, and let me assure you there are plenty posting on this thread who are merely tolerated by me. As I am certain vice versa.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Personally I'd say Self Esteem is the most important thing for any child.

With it - - maybe they can become a researcher that cures Cancer.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

. However, I also dislike you, because you are a garden variety homophobe.

I am? Given that I have never made a derogatory statement about gays, stated I have no problem with gays whatsoever, and also stated I support gay marriage since the federal government has no power to dictate what consenting adults do, how does that make me a homophobe?

Stop acting like a petulant child. Either post comments I have made, or simply apologize and go away.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You simply cannot force someone to accept or tolerate something they disagree with.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Unless, of course, you would have them sent to governmental re-education camps until they come around to seeing things the way you do. That what you would like to see happen?

From your posting history it is evident you have a proverbial hard-on for anything dealing with gay topics. Stop being so insecure with yourself and live your life no matter what others think.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

However, I also dislike you, because you are a garden variety homophobe.

Your generalizations are laughable at best!

Why not re-read the pages and try again!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

You simply cannot force someone to accept or tolerate something they disagree with.

YES! You can!

Americans with Disabilities Act

Telecommunications Act

Fair Housing Act

Air Carrier Access Act

Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act

National Voter Registration Act

Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Rehabilitation Act

Architectural Barriers Act

www.ada.gov...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Oddly enough, quite a few of those things you listed violate the rights of others in the process.

You seem to be ok with that.

Evidently, you are ok with violating the rights of countless people as long as you agree with the cause. That about right?

Passing acts doesn't ensure people will tolerate something they disagree with, it simply makes them adhere to an unconstitutional government action. I really don't expect you to understand that though.
edit on 18-4-2011 by ViperChili because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Oddly enough, quite a few of those things you listed violate the rights of others in the process.

They protect and give rights to a Minority group.

You just can't seem to grasp the concept of protection and rights of a Minority.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Passing acts doesn't ensure people will tolerate something they disagree with, . . .

Oh true.

My mom was cussed out more then once - - because she didn't move fast enough to suit some people.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You simply cannot grasp the rights of a minority segment do not outweigh or supercede the rights of others.

Why is that?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Oh true.

My mom was cussed out more then once - - because she didn't move fast enough to suit some people.

So what? Some people are aholes in life.

Get used to it.

Less emotion and more logic would do you a world of good.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join