It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange insect captured in Paraguay (Fulgora laternaria)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Funny i've brought forward damning evidence this bug is definitely a relative of the Cicada and noone replies

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Yeah, I'm familiar with Cicadas. We got some here that drive me nuts with the noise and don't let me take naps.

About the head shape. (By the way, when talking about horns I was kind of thinking about a rhino-style horn
, so sorry about my silly question) I read it's a hollow extension of the head and that it's supposed to imitate a lizard's head and scare away predators.

Here are some links I found about it:

Fulgora Laternaria

Lanternfly (though we have renamed it "Velocifly")

Also, if you check out the Spanish wiki entry, you can see that it says this:

Sinonimia
Cicada laternaria
Laternaria phosphorea
Fulgora servillei

So yes, they are related. I thought it appeared on the English entry too, that's why I didn't respond to you, thinking that later on you'll see it in the article.
edit on 17-4-2011 by Casandra because: Link added

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

Funny i was the first one to point out what species it was related to because i recognised it instantly!

Its weird how evolution works bug grows long rhino type horn on head to look like some of the lizards. Evolution really is wonderful.

You think about it and i have a feeling that somehow evolution works on a meta-physical platform as well meaning it can take in surrounding Unconsciously over a long period of time and the animal will exhibit features to camouflage it as other animals or foliage in its environment. Quite fascinating indeed.

Ty for the Thread .

<< 1  2   >>

join