It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange insect captured in Paraguay (Fulgora laternaria)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

No, it's 12 cm, although I think the average size is something like 9 cm. The wings can measure up to 15 cm, too. That's why we are so worried about it appearing in our back yards

edit on 14-4-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Myth says if people are bitten by one, they must have sex within 24 hours in order to prevent death.

I'm sure that myth was started by some boy trying to get a girl to his bed!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
in order to get a good visual reference to the size of this thing...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Beautiful insect but I wouldn't want that in my house. The question is, can it be harmful to humans?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

I love that little guy!

And the myth...

Myth says if people are bitten by one, they must have sex within 24 hours in order to prevent death.

Hmmm. Seems a) the bug's not new (it's been around long enough to have an associated myth); and b) it's presence in myth indicates the bug has a symbiotic role in human culture to promote fertility: a role which most likely protects species survival and thereby suggests the bugs have some measure of telepathic control over humans, at least historically. [No one anywhere is going to kill a bug that guarantees one's ability to get off, so to speak.]

S&F&

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Seems a) the bug's not new

No, it's not. I wrote that in my OP. I know that this insect isn't new, but I wanted to share it with you because not many people are aware of its existence. Even here in South America, where they can be found, people know almost nothing about it. That's why it was on the news when the woman captured it.

Also...

Originally posted by soficrow

I love that little guy!

I love it too, just...from a safe distance

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

But Cassandra...

This little guy is harmless to humans! ...according to Wikipedia anyway. Bugs don't bother me so I'd like to catch one.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I know it's harmless, but I'm not sure I'd want it near me. I have OCD and this beautiful yet odd insect makes my anxiety levels rise for some reason. I'm not sure why.

I mean, I'd love to see it in a branch in my yard, I would even make a cool colored pencil drawing... but I'd run screaming the moment it flew towards me

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Mothra and Godzilla's lovechild?

Sorry; second line. Tiny lovechild?
edit on 14-4-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

Don't get that thing near Fukushima.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I know what this is. It's a...

WTFisthatabug.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Thats one weird looking bug!
Looks like an alligator to me i say get out the RAID!

edit on 15-4-2011 by sugarcookie1 because: bugs scare me

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Sorry, ThinkingCap, CanadianDream420 already named it:

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
I shall call him Velocifly.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
That is Condi Rice. She is on the Bush Estate waiting for her husband "W", dayum shape shutters!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

This looks exactly like a Cicada bug but with a horn on its head its definitely related we even have them in Canada. Nice find though.

Yes that picture above in thread confirms it for me; that bug is definitely a relative of the Cicada bug wiki link here...
en.wikipedia.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/82f0ab84acdc.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/666789a21ff2.jpg[/atsimg]

I believe there are thousands of species of Cicada so they all look pretty different the one you showed has a weird horn and longer wings! Plus a really weird Colour O.o
edit on 15-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Fascinating stuff im going to raise my own private army of these superbugs!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

This makes for a good excuse, I might attempt to find one of these, and use it as a way to swindle woman into having sex with me

Seriously though, that's amazing little insect, it may be in the article, but does anyone know what this thing eats?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkkkay

Originally posted by AnteBellum
It looks lizard like, I love how nature does this!
. . . and it has eyes on the other end!

Amazing camouflage!

Eyes in the back of an insect, is one of the best signatures of a maker....

Not really. Just an indication of survival of the fittest members of a species whose markings frighten off potential predators.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi

Originally posted by mkkkay

Originally posted by AnteBellum
It looks lizard like, I love how nature does this!
. . . and it has eyes on the other end!

Amazing camouflage!

Eyes in the back of an insect, is one of the best signatures of a maker....

Not really. Just an indication of survival of the fittest members of a species whose markings frighten off potential predators.

So you say, do you think the butterfly toth of that... or did nature think of that...survival of the fitest would mean the butterfly is more intelligent then the birds... so the birds could not evolved beyond being fooled by a butterfly.
Thousans of years of being fooled... I say even if the butterfly could think of such a plan, just like we think we could fly, there is no way we could grow wings. i mean look there is winter since ever and we got nothing to protect us from the cold, we are the most intelligent animals here, those this mean if we wait long enough we
would grow some fur... nothing in the world as ever changed they only adapt, still funny to see that the birds would not realise at some point the game of the butterfly.

look at the birds in a field of corn, we put strawman to scare them away, but it only works for a while then the birds get wise and adapt... but never adapted to the butterflys camouflage .All i can say is life is a mistory.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Yes, it eats nosy people who want to know more about it.

Just kidding, It eats plant sap. It's harmless.

reply to post by XRaDiiX

What do you mean with a horn on its head? I can't see it, would you point it out to me, please?
edit on 15-4-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Look at the pictures i imbedded on the thread the insect you linked is a relative of the Cicada Bug. Look at the similarities its undeniable proof! It has a large protruding thing on its head you can't see it? ( The strange one you're thread is about)

I'm very curious to what the thing on its head purpose is for.... Why is that there! I can't wait to find out if anyone knows?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ba0d4722c87.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f40c0565323.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/666789a21ff2.jpg[/atsimg]

Now don't try to tell me they aren't related ancestors!

The bug on the top is called a Cicada we even have them here in Canada.

Its interesting to find such a weird deviation of the Cicada in South America. Nice find man

edit on 16-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join