It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 guns found under 9 year olds bed! (Time for the UK to admit that our gun policy doesn't work?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d16fa84091ff.jpg[/atsimg]
What happened to the old British Home Guard after WW2.
Is there no rifle culture left? No membership recognized by the government.
Are you telling me that they don't even let people get together at Fair and practice long bow.

David Grouchy

For the avid gun owners in America,
here is a dirty little open secret.
The anti automatic rifle laws
have a very significant
cut off date.

One that leaves the Winchester lever action repeating riffle
as the single best remaining non-banned
high rate of fire
military weapon available in the US.
And it's a very decent resell investment.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0b42b7a5da86.png[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by KingDoey

Id like to watch him take it to a range..

Replicas are not meant for shooting live round even if they are bored.

It will probably explode in his face.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by alex1879

You're right the law could be imporved somehow, but not by relaxing it in anyway. its possible that letting everyone have a gun to defend themselves against the gangs will just mean more people caught in the crossfire.

That is the same thing that anti-gunners say in America every time gun laws are eased. We always hear that it will mean millions of innocent deaths. Yet, the number of murders in America declines every year while the gun laws loosen. The only areas of the country that saw an increase in the murder rate in 2010 weere the ones enacting stricter regulations.

Do concealed carry permits lower the crime rate? Honestly that is open for debate. I do believe that knowing the public can fight back deters crime. There have been multiple studies released over the years that show a fear of being shot will deter criminals. There were studies done amongst convicted felons in prison.

However people feel about it two things are obvious from looking at the American system. Loosening gun laws will not lead directly to an increased murder rate. Actually letting the citizenry carry guns about their person will not lead to rivers of blood. Despite what the critics tell you and the anti-gunners prophesy, making guns available for self defense does not lead to an increase in the murder rate.

edit on 13-4-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff

Just how would a bb gun load and fire 9mm rounds? would the metal be strong enough? how would the mag fit properly? I don't buy that at all.

I remember reading, a while back, that there was a guy arrested in the UK for converting bb and blank guns. He was turning them in to .22s I believe. A .22 or a .25acp shouldn't beat up an all metal replica too badly. It would probably be set up for single shot use anyway.

I don't think he meant that the gun could fire 9mm. I think he was just saying that it was able to fire some sort of bullet.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

My first question is, how will confiscating 5 guns erase 40% of the 7,000+ firearms crimes in England every year? My second question is, how do we know these same men were not involved in the other six shootings with this gun?

It reminds me of when cops in America use to say, "we confiscated 2 kilos of coc aine worth $300,000 on the street. Criminals will have a hard time finding any on the streets for a while." First of all 2 kilos of coc aine has never been worth $300,000. Second of all when cartels are moving tens of thousands of kilos a day, two kilos is nothing.

My point, cops like to sensationalize their results to ensure funding. The news media reports it because they have basically become rubber stamps for press releases. Be careful when biting on the numbers the cops provided.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff

Just how would a bb gun load and fire 9mm rounds? would the metal be strong enough? how would the mag fit properly? I don't buy that at all.

Of course it can, I have seen it first hand. You can get it done relatively cheap. It has to be a full metal replica and you have the barrel bored out.

I don't know the ins and outs of it but believe me it can be done I have seen it first hand

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
My preteen son has 3 guns in his closet. A .22 semi-automatic rifle, a 20 Ga. Savage Arms single shot shotgun and a Daisy pellet gun. We also have a freezer full of wild pig, venison and rabbit.
I have trigger locks on all his guns except the pellet gun. He likes to take the pellet gun out at night to shoot rats that try to get into the chicken coop.
I was shooting deer in Tennessee with a .30/40 Craig when I was 11.

I was taught to early to recognize the responsibility that comes with gun ownership and continue to teach the same to my son. The gun laws in the UK seem bizarre to me. Criminals it seems can always get their hands on weapons if they want them.
edit on 4/13/2011 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
My first post, so don't be gentle.

I really don't understand nor relate to the British stance on firearms, or at least what I understand of it. It's like the old, worn-out saw -- when guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns. Silly, right? But where I grew up, in northern Idaho, everybody had a firearm or two; they were tools. There was no crime. People hunted for meat, fished, and murder/robbery/burglary was unheard of.

You know what? In this same part of the country, it is still so. Gun control really doesn't work. Firearm education works. As a child, I would no more have touched my parents' guns as I would have contemplated sawing off my arm. I knew better, and I knew there were severe consequences. I was taught how to safely handle firearms and I was taught to not shoot any animal I wasn't prepared to eat.

Why shouldn't people have firearms for home protection? Well, if they aren't willing to take complete responsibility for their gun ownership -- including education of their family/children -- then they shouldn't have them.

Trouble is, many governments want to remove guns from the people. Many governments have. What does that leave? Guns in the hands of the lawmakers, and guns in the hands of the criminals.

Look at places like Sweden, where gun ownership is mandatory. Very little crime. You folks in the UK -- it should be your right to protect yourselves, because criminals aren't going to yield. Criminals are cowards -- they prey upon the vulnerable, they are opportunists.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Reply to post by mumbichi

The worst part is regarding education and familiarity described by yourself and the poster above is that in these prohibitionary states/countries the criminals always have them so the longer the prohibition stays enforced the more ignorant and reckless the population will get.

For example the average person in the UK by this point must be so neurotically hoplophobic that they'd be nothing but a liability should they be permitted ownership of firearms.

They would have to start at square one. Treated like children and supervised constantly for years to undue the dumbing down the prohibition has caused. Meanwhile the criminal element will just go on as it always has paying no mind to the law or the population.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I agree. Thanks, by the way for the word "hoplophobic". I think the same applies even more where police and firearms are concerned, particularly in a country where they are not the norm. As you say, it requires starting from square one, as a LEO needs to be armed with training WAY before being armed with firearms.

Perhaps the whole mindset has to almost be inherited. I have perceived on occasion within the mindset of my UK-based relatives, the perception that guns themselves are the tool of evil, and from their experiences and awareness, I don't necessarily disagree. I would guess that education has to start from an early age to be fully incorporated into a person's personal tools.

Is it the right way to go? Honestly, I don't know. I do believe that a situation where only the criminals posess firearms is destined for failure. I expect the law and enforcers of same to protect me, but I don't expect them to sacrifice their lives for mine. If they are facing armed criminals in the absence of training and at least equal tools, how effective can they possibly be?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join