It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sri Lankan geologist says "We can predict another earthquake for Japan"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I originally found this article today on Bellevision, this is news site put together by amateur writers of the Belle Parish located in the UAE, But I did a google search and found that numerous news sites/agencies were carrying the story, Here's a list of sites:

Link to this article: www.bellevision.com...

kuwaitsamachar.com...

This story was also carried by the Times of India: articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

irna.ir...
(Islamic Republic News Agency/IRNA NewsCode: 30329867 )
and:
www.allvoices.com...
Which services Lahore, Punjab, and Pakistan.

So it seems many countries including Iran, India, Kuwait and the UAE, are trying through their Main Stream Media to seemly give a warning that an earthquake is eminent, I found it interesting as this would never be done in the United States as predicting earthquakes is considered a pseudo science by our geologists.

Here's the article it's short and to the point and put forward by what appears to be a credible source, Peardeniya University’s Geological Research Department.

Colombo, 10 April 2011: More earthquakes are possible to hit parts of Asia, including Japan and the Chinese border with India, according to a Sri Lankan geologist.

"We can predict another earthquake occurring in Japan between April 16 and 20. One in China closer to border with India between April 14 and 16 and one in Indonesia’s Java, Sumatra regions between April 10 and 17 ," Athula Senaratne of the Peardeniya University’s Geological Research Department said.

Peradeniya University located in the central district of Kandy has the only earth science department in the island. Senaratne said their research was based on the data of earthquakes above six in the richter scale over the last 100 years. He said earthquakes can affect parts of Turkey, Iran and Greece. He said his team had correctly predicted the March earthquake in Japan and the one early this month.

He said Sri Lanka would not be affected by any of the earthquakes unless a Tsunami would be triggered by the one he had predicted in Indonesia between 10 and 17 April.

"But a Tsunami would be caused only if the quake hits 25 kms into the sea bed", Senaratne said. Sri Lanka’s coastal belt was devastated by the 2004 Tsunami following an earthquake in Sumatra. More than 30,000 people died while 100,000 homes were destroyed.

But we also have some sage advice..As Yoda said "The future is difficult to see"

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
looks like mitchell coombes is right after all he predicted that the new earthquake is 9.3 and would definitely hit the wako tower

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
It seems many people are predicting quakes now..I just went and read the post you referred to I'm going to have to keep my eye on Mitchel Coombes, see what else he has to say. Cheers coco

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
ahhh............................................................................

There have been sooo many quakes in the region. They happen constantly people. They are happening even more constantly right now because of the size of the big Japanese quake. I predicted a 6.5 within 12 hours in the thread about the facebook dork that is predicting quakes with a card game. Within 2 hours a 6.4 happened.. It ISN'T science to state the obvious and have it occur. Please..

There is nothing in that piece that is not obvious.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

Except perhaps the dates..we shall see

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
So the magnetics of the solar system have a major roll in causing the earths crust to move correct?

I would imagine by defining the earths crustal movement by the various pulls of the magnetics of the solar system we could probably predict it. To a degree anyway. I mean what else would be causing crustal movement? Magnetics cause the planet to stay together, so why wouldn't they cause earthquakes?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I personally don't know anything about earthquakes, I thought it was more interesting that professional geologists are willing to make a prediction with dates and places..I'm sure you are right that magnetics have something to do with earthquakes, so yup that makes sense to me..

I would imagine by defining the earths crustal movement by the various pulls of the magnetics of the solar system we could probably predict it. To a degree anyway. I mean what else would be causing crustal movement? Magnetics cause the planet to stay together, so why wouldn't they cause earthquakes?

I have to get off here for now and go to bed I have to get up in the morning thanks for the replay have a great night Cheers coco

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
looks like mitchell coombes is right after all he predicted that the new earthquake is 9.3 and would definitely hit the wako tower

mitchell coombes is a fraud and his prediction after the japan quake was not japan 9.3 it was california, 9.9 april 25 2011 at 20:24 pm. This kid has scammed everyone, god its discusting how he puts fear into innocent people. He said on his page last night that something big was going to happen on the 11 of april, NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wake up people, the kids an attention seeker.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

He's not a scientist or anything.

If anything, he didn't really predict anything, but rather analyzed patterns and attempted to draw a conclusion.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

With the majority of the recent quakes exactly at the Fukushima Dai'ichi facility I think anyone could make predictions and probably be right a fair amount of the time.

I've watched them via satellite as to location, depth, and magnitude.

Of the 976 total one recent one hit towards the west side of Honshu at Nagano, which makes it rare, because the fault line is off their east coast.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Hi there! I currently live in Greece and was a little worried about that announcement..
Does anyone know if this scientist has credibility? Should we trust him?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
look at nature for the signs
i found this The fish new about the earthquake coming

dailycosmicnews.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Imogene72

My apologies for the late reply, my internet was down for a day and a half. I mentioned in my post that the Times of India carried the story along with several other sites in different nations. I can not personally speak for the man's credibility however the University of Peradeniya, in Sri Lanka is a real place.
Here's the link for that: www.pdn.ac.lk...
They have an Alumni website as well you can visit that link here: www.pdn.ac.lk...

This association brings together alumni of the:
* Ceylon Medical College (1870-1942)
* University College (1921-1942)
* University of Ceylon (1942-1967)
* University of Ceylon, Peradeniya (1967-1972)
* Peradeniya Campus of the University of Ceylon (1972-1978) (1979 onwards)

As for trusting him, he also stated he had made other predictions in the past, that happened..

He said his team had correctly predicted the March earthquake in Japan and the one early this month.

I guess just try and be prepared and look for signs in the environment, I recently made this post here:

here's a recap
You can take a look at a post reply I wrote on 15-3-2011 about a scientific paper by F. St-Laurent on odd anomalies before earthquakes here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

to read the authors paper go here: www.itacomm.net...

and take a look it only takes about 10 mins to read and well worth it he discusses these topics:

Seismic Lighting, similar to ordinary lighting and to "sheet" or "heat" lighting but without thunder Luminous band seen in the atmosphere, sometimes horizontally or vertically and sometimes in a bundle, like some polar aurora. Globular incandescent masses, sometimes seen attached to luminous bands, and sometimes called "meteors" Fire tongues, small "flames" creeping near the ground, or like ignis fatuus, flickering around. Seismic "flames" seen emerging from the ground but rarely causing damage. different colored globular masses colored yellow/green/orange/blue. Atmospheric illumination, luminous discharges rising from the ground, arched bands rising from the horizon ovoid mass with streamers.

There are graphs and charts and lots of information..hope that helps Cheers coco

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by itscocobaby

Thank you for your reply! I will go through all the links you posted, so I can be better prepared, just in case.
And hey, no worries!!! Better late than never, right?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Imogene72

Of course my pleasure, ATS is a great place to get the latest updates on just about anything. It's so much better to have 1000's of pairs of eyes watching the headlines as opposed to just one pair. If I get any other news on this I'll be sure and post it here..cheers coco

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

"We can predict another earthquake occurring in Japan between April 16 and 20. Magnitude
Magnitude 7.1
Date-Time

* Thursday, April 07, 2011 at 14:32:41 UTC
* Thursday, April 07, 2011 at 11:32:41 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 38.253°N, 141.640°E
Depth 49 km (30.4 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances 66 km (41 miles) E of Sendai, Honshu, Japan
114 km (70 miles) E of Yamagata, Honshu, Japan
116 km (72 miles) ENE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
330 km (205 miles) NNE of TOKYO, Japan

One in China closer to border with India between April 14 and 16
Magnitude 5.4
Date-Time

* Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 04:58:17 UTC
* Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 11:28:17 AM at epicenter

Location 24.710°N, 97.994°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles)
Region MYANMAR-CHINA BORDER REGION
Distances 95 km (59 miles) SE of Myitkyina, Myanmar
246 km (152 miles) WSW of Dali, Yunnan, China
357 km (221 miles) NNE of Mandalay, Myanmar
2409 km (1496 miles) SW of BEIJING, Beijing, China

and one in Indonesia’s Java, Sumatra regions between April 10 and 17 ,
Magnitude 6.7
Date-Time

* Sunday, April 03, 2011 at 20:06:42 UTC
* Monday, April 04, 2011 at 03:06:42 AM at epicenter

Location 9.786°S, 107.749°E
Depth 24 km (14.9 miles)
Region SOUTH OF JAVA, INDONESIA
Distances 241 km (149 miles) ENE of Christmas Island
277 km (172 miles) S of Tasikmalaya, Java, Indonesia
318 km (197 miles) S of Bandung, Java, Indonesia
412 km (256 miles) SSE of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia
" Athula Senaratne of the Peardeniya University’s Geological Research Department said.

Peradeniya University located in the central district of Kandy has the only earth science department in the island. Senaratne said their research was based on the data of earthquakes above six in the richter scale over the last 100 years. He said earthquakes can affect parts of Turkey, Iran and Greece. He said his team had correctly predicted the March earthquake in Japan and the one early this month.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by itscocobaby

full list here:earthquake.usgs.gov...

He was a few days off..but very close.

top topics

join