It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traffic cameras or something else?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LoverBoy

It's actually debatable as to whether they cause more harm than good.
I have noticed that the intersections having these cameras systems in place are having more accidents, because the people who are aware of the cameras are now slamming on their brakes as soon as the light turns amber, to avoid the photo tickets.

I'm not even sure if they are legal.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gatewaywithin

Many car wrecks do happen when people try to beat the yellow light...We are all guilty of it but even if this saves 1 life im for it.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

we have red light cams, they work in sync with a seperate pylon tower that can issue red light tickets as well as speeding tickets. these are just your run of the mill cctv's but the seem to be at every intersection in our small city that gets major traffic. no notification to the public too. why do i feel like winston smith all of a sudden?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

That's a good point...also I have no clue what the legality is.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

I guess they are trying to make up for the man power they don't have. I have no clue what the procedure or legality is for these, but it may not require any notification to the public.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Many car wrecks do happen when people try to beat the yellow light...We are all guilty of it but even if this saves 1 life im for it.

I feel the same way, but truly believe they were not installed, with our safety in mind.
They are cash generators plain and simple with a bonus prize of increased surveillance
and control. All the while robbing you of another freedom in the name of safety.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

There is notification all right, its the little sign, that you really have to look for, that says photo Inforced.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I always wondered how a game show like in the Running Man could operate.

Phase 1: lots of cameras.

and so on and so on.

baka

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I respect your opinion and see where your coming from. I agree they are definitely bringing in money for every citation. This could be the main reason they installed these but again I don't know. In my opinion I don't feel any of my rights are being taken away. As long as I abide by the traffic laws I should be fine. BUT this does open the door to abuse...but again, almost everything nowadays does.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
the old saying is fallow the money and were it comes from? well here is the start www.dhs.gov... from the link

The State Homeland Security Program (SHSP)
Urban Area Security Initiative Grant Program (UASI)
The Citizen Corps Program
The Metropolitan Medical Response System (MMRS)
Operation Stonegarden (OPSG)

Preparedness Grants (Formerly Infrastructure Protection Programs)

Transit Security Grant Program (TSGP):
Freight Rail Security Grant Program (FRSGP)
Intercity Passenger Rail (Amtrak)
Intercity Bus Security Grant Program (IBSGP)
Trucking Security Program (TSP)
Port Security Grant Program (PSGP)
Buffer Zone Protection Program (BZPP)
Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Grant Program
Interoperable Emergency Communications Grant Program (IECGP)
Driver’s License Security Grant Program (DLSGP)

Other Grants

State Homeland Security Program - Tribal (SHSP Tribal)
Urban Area Security Initiative Grant Program (UASI) Nonprofit Security Grant Program (NSGP)
Regional Catastrophic Preparedness Grant Program (RCPGP)
Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program (CEDAP)
Emergency Management Performance Grants (EMPG)

FEMA oversees the distribution of these grants. More information on these and other grants at FEMA.
so is it the state being funded doing the feds work or the feds funding the state doing state work i think the former why else would there be so many "NSA' black buildings across the country.

edit on 12-4-2011 by bekod because: text correction

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Probably a little of both, but definitely big business. You can generally ignore them and they go away. Some cities will send process servers. Most however just send the tickets in the regular mail. What ticket? I didn't get a ticket in the mail.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Those cameras are another form of radiation everyone is subjected to. In addition to monitoring traffic, they can be used for iris scans of people to identify them even with dark glasses on; both in vehicles and on foot. The probability is that local governments vote to make them legal within their jurisdictions.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Communicater

and I'm the Easter Bunny.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

On a more serious note, most vehicle license plates are highly reflective and have built in areas for cameras to focus on. NEVER wash your license plate, you can't legally cover or conceal it but mother nature can make it harder to see. When you wash the car put a shower cap on the plate.

Actually, if you use something like Simple Green you can actually wash off the reflective coating.
Doing that in addition to giving the plate a good dusty mud bath could be helpful. Although here in Florida if your plate is too dirty they can issue you a ticket.

I have heard of folks using a UV blocking clear spray that shows up black on cameras that utilizing infrared/uv light, but have never tried it personally.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Best use infra-red light.
edit on 12-4-2011 by M40T4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Camperguy

I live in Springfield Ma and I can attest to this not only on the Pike and 91 but 291 has them as well as one with just a satellite dish in the east-bound lane on it on top of the hill before Smith & Wesson. The same spot that has been a speed trap for years. What is notable is the fact they seemingly went up over night. They are the globe variety of camera so they can pan 360 so I don't believe are for catching speeders. They use fixed mounted with radar attach to them so it can standup in court better. Which I find oddly not present except at traffic lights in busy sections of Springfield.

The efficiency on how they put these up scares the hell out of me. And yet we have to wait months to gets holes patched in our streets but Big Brother gets his cameras.
edit on 12-4-2011 by CarpeLibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I had a buddy that used to sell computers specifically to law enforcement.

He made a very good living doing it because It was generally carte blanche as far as budgets because they as these cameras are used for are justified by saving the expense of paying a LEO and putting gas in his squadcar.

It just goes to show that this is all about not so much our safety but moreso about money coming in to pay the bureaucrats.

The nature of bureaucrats who produce nothing but only take money from working people who do....

If you think that this is bad. Just take a look at the UK where they have cameras like every 25 feet over there.

This is where we are headed unfortunately. Especially as the cost of electronics goes down.

License plate and simple green....I'll have to try it on some of my old plates I keep in the garage ...Cool.

Thanks !

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I live in a pretty small town with 3 traffic lights and there are now 4 cameras per light. I have taken to waving at them when I hit a red light.
Here in MI you will get a ticket for a plate that is to dirty to read, as well as a light out by your plate.
Thanks for the info on the tailgate though, I will make sure hubby keeps his down!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Camperguy

It's probably a mixture of both big brother and big business. I'm sure it's for our own good though, just like any other intrusive policy/program/action instituted by the government.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The devices that you may think are cameras are microwave devices that are sold by Midwest Microwave in Saline, Michigan and invented by Judd Nicols to replace the in ground wires that detect vehicles at stop lights. The newer microwave devices are more reliable than the old wires. You'll also note your radar detectors go off more often too.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join