It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin Continues to Increase in Size

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
First I'd like to put to rest the question of whether the discoverer of Comet Elenin, Leonid Elenin is a real person or not.

Yes he is.

Here is a link to his website.

Spaceobs.org

Anyone interested in following the story of this comet should be checking his website and he is regularly posting updated information and answers questions posted to his blog.

Also an interview done with him along with his photograph is available here: (It is in Russian, so use the google translator - it's a very detailed interview)

Interview with Leonid Elenin

His recent update:

April 8th at our observatory we carried out planned observations of Comet C/2010 X1 (Elenin). An analysis of the results of the observations shows a rapid growth of the coma. Besides the internal compact gas envelope, the forming rarified external coma is also visible in the image. It’s diameter exceeds 1 minute of arc, or 80,000 km! It is possible that such a rapid growth of the coma is associated with the apparent superposition over it of the comet’s dust tail, which after opposition, still remains invisible to the Earthly observer.

Please go to the link for the rest of the story.

Also, the blog has many additional updates that you may be interested in.

edit on 10-4-2011 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
You can also follow Leonid Elenin on Facebook. click or copy/paste the link

Comet Elenin - Facebook
edit on 10/12/2009 by makinit66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the link.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the updated info. There seems to be more than one speculation with regards to it's size.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Well the hundreds of Private Astronomers who have scoured the area for the comet cant seem to find it so yeah its utter BS. One that I know of uses a scope more powerful than the one Leo claims to use and cant see any comet but can find a Brown Dwarf Star that is rapidly approaching us and it does have planets or other bodies orbiting the star.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher

Well the hundreds of Private Astronomers who have scoured the area for the comet cant seem to find it so yeah its utter BS. One that I know of uses a scope more powerful than the one Leo claims to use and cant see any comet but can find a Brown Dwarf Star that is rapidly approaching us and it does have planets or other bodies orbiting the star.

Please post a source, I am interesting in reading about what you say.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
You can also follow BIGFOOT on Facebook; but that doesn't make him real.

I've seen Gene Shoemaker giving a multitude of interviews after discovering Shoemaker/Levy 9, but so far I've seen nothing from Mr. Elenin aside from a static photograph - which could be anyone - and a few blog posts. To my knowledge, he has never granted an interview with ANY reporter, much less a TV journalist, and that is what make this stink to high heaven.

The way the Russians love publicity that shows their technological prowess, it seems to me that trotting out the astronomer whose discovery has the world "Ohh-ing" and "Ahh-ing" would be a priority. I'm still waiting for that to happen.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I really cant understand how people keep saying they can't find it..

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Do you have a scientific source or link for this?
Second line duly noted.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Comet elenin is just 5 km long, and it would come closer to earth around October 2011 but it will not collide with earth. It would pass safely without doing any damage to earth. This comet has came from kuiper belt, some people also say that some mysterious objects in kuiper belt are hurling these comets towards earth. May be someone is trying to associate this comet with aliens/UFO.

www.spacesciencegroup.org...

Kuiper Belt

No spacecraft has ever traveled to the Kuiper Belt, but NASA's New Horizons mission, planned to arrive at Pluto in 2015, might be able to penetrate farther into the Kuiper Belt to study one of these mysterious objects.

In 1950, Dutch astronomer Jan Oort proposed that certain comets came from a vast spherical shell of icy bodies near the edge of the Solar System.

But the timing of this comet and the dis-info associated with it is perfect for the illuminati plan of fake alien invasion. But will they would execute it....

edit on 10-4-2011 by illuminazislayer because: the endgame is near.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
star/ flag
I think this part of the article is particularly interesting..

It is worth noting that another well-known visual comet observer, Alan Hale, 1995 co-discoverer of comet Hale-Bopp, was not able to find Comet Elenin on April 5th with his 41-cm reflector…

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I stopped believing in comet elenin on march 15th when some big event was supposed to happen and didnt. No pole shift, no nothing. Wow an earth quake in japan, as if we haven't been getting those for the past 10 years. Was comet elenin responsible for the quake and tsunami back in 2004 that destroyed thailand and sri lanka? Seriously.... comet elenin doesn't exist, and if it does, it's a freaking comet! It's not big enough to do anything to us unless it hits us directly. Comets are harmless in every possible way. As for planet X, nibiru, wormwood, whatever you wanna call it, I'll be an old man, still hearing about the possbility of it. So I ain't counting on that being real either. Yes, the earth is messed up, and getting worse, why, we don't know. So I'm not about to jump to any conclusions just yet. Maybe humans are the cause, or maybe, its just part of a natural cycle on earth, that we simply cannot control, or understand. We know the earth goes through ice ages, but we don't know why it does, but it does regularily. It's a cycle, that we aren't smart enough to understand, it's bigger than we are.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Indeed a cool and informative website. It's nice to have updated information on this comet, as it has stirred up quite a lot of gossip.

I find it interesting that they are claiming its "growth" in size as it nears. I also look forward to the STEREO B images to come hopefully early August. I think then we will finally be getting the real about what exactly this comet is up to.

I REALLY.... deep down inside.... am hoping to see a window on the comet with a little being inside waving at us! How cool would that be??? .... I know, I know.... if that happened it would probably be dismissed as swamp gas.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

The one you know has a scope more powerful than this? (according to rationalwiki.org...)
www.nmskies.com...
Lucky guy. Please ask him to post his findings.I'd love to see his pictures of a brown dwarf with planets.
But so far, this is what we have:
astrobob.areavoices.com...

Comet Elenin photographed on April 2 by German astrophotographer Bernhard Häusler. Because the comet moves in relation to the stars, the stars appear trailed during the exposure. Credit: Bernhard Bernhard Häusler

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Well it seem as if the Italian observers at Remanzacco Observatory in Italy has found it. But then again, you'll probably think that it's a Vatican conspiracy...lol

In order to provide further elements to the discussion, on 2011, March 14 we dedicated a few observing hours to C/2010 X1, using a couple of scopes kindly provided by the Tzec Maun Foundation: a RCOS 16" Ritchey-Chretien + CCD (located near Mayhill, NM) and a Takahashi TOA-150 f/7.3 refractor + CCD (located near Moorook, Australia).

We used V and R photometric filters, and a selection of different calibrated reference stars (Tycho catalogue). The first analysis indicate a compact coma about 15 arcsec in diameter; within such aperture, we measured the following magnitudes: V= 16.7, R= 16.5, with an uncertainty about 0.5 magn in each color (photometry of faint comets is always a tricky business, so this data must be taken anyway with a certain amount of caution).
[/ex:]

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by forall2see
I find it interesting that they are claiming its "growth" in size as it nears.

I believe they said it was the coma that was growing, not the comet itself.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminazislayer

Comet elenin is just 5 km long, and it would come closer to earth around October 2011 but it will not collide with earth. It would pass safely without doing any damage to earth. This comet has came from kuiper belt, some people also say that some mysterious objects in kuiper belt is hurling these comets towards earth. May be someone is trying to associate this comet with aliens/UFO.

www.spacesciencegroup.org...

No spacecraft has ever traveled to the Kuiper Belt, but NASA's New Horizons mission, planned to arrive at Pluto in 2015, might be able to penetrate farther into the Kuiper Belt to study one of these mysterious objects.

But the timing of this comet and the dis-info associated with it is perfect for the illuminati plan of fake alien invasion. But will they execute it....

edit on 10-4-2011 by illuminazislayer because: all the pieces are falling into place.

edit on 4/10/2011 by forall2see because: had a seizure and accidentally hit the edit button... oops

The bottom of that page says CREDIT- NASA

Need I say more?

Now we have two sources stating extreme variances in size. 5km-800,000km sooooooo, now what? Who do you choose to believe? I choose not to believe a word of either...
edit on 4/10/2011 by forall2see because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

I'll do some research on what exactly the coma is then... thanks for the clarification.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Yes, this is just another comet.

But, no ordinary comet based on it's orbit. Here is a you tube showing it's orbit. Based on conflicting information, I can't say what it's true orbit is. I've heard anywhere from a couple a hundred years to millions of years. I will have to do some more reading.

Also, what I find interesting is the orbit is on a close flyby with another comet "Honda" which is expected to be much closer to Earth than Elenin and they are projected to cross paths very closely. And that may be of a concern.

Comet Honda & Elenin ATS Thread by bmck12

There is a animated orbit illustration here:

Elenin.org

edit on 10-4-2011 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The coma.

You know, the cloud of gas that surrounds any given comet.

Look up Comet Holmes, why don't you.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Some quotes from Leonid Elenin's blog:

The decrease in eccentricity will continue to decrease for six more years until the comet once again passes beyond the orbit of Uranus. The comet will return to the Sun in around 10,000 years.

John asks: C/2010 X1 is currently going through the asteroid belt. I know the chances are very remote, but if by chance it were to be knocked off course through a collision, how soon would we know it’s new trajectory? Leonid answer: This chance is very small and we make prediction for close approaches with known main belt asteroids. Stay tuned…

At now we known all orbital parameters with good quality. But, eccentricity of orbit is very high, near parabolic. The smallest changes in this parameter may change orbital period of comet by thousands years…

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join