It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Pyramid in the world. The Cholula Pyramid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The city of Cholula had been inhabited for more then 3000 but the actual pyramid itself still exists today for over 2000 years.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/642aab108ef5.jpg[/atsimg]

A brief history

Over 2000 years ago, Cholula was rising from being a village to being a city of some importance. As the city became a place of power, many of the powerful cultures of Mexico had their turn to rule it - the Olmecs, Toltecs, and later the Aztecs, with whom the city had some alliance. The city was once called Acholollan (in Nahuatl), meaning place of flight or water that falls in the place of flight. This has led some to believe that Cholula was founded after it's inhabitants fled from elsewhere.

The birth of the temple

The earliest pyramid was probably built around 200 BC. As the years passed and the city grew in power, it was often able to maintain a degree of independence from the empires that surrounded it. Just how much independence is a matter of some debate.

From the architecture and items found at the site, we know that Cholula had strong relations with no only nearby cities such as Tenochtitlán, but the coast as well. For example, archaeologists have found seashells beneath one of the altars, an offering to Quetzalcóatl.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54c99b1ccfad.jpg[/atsimg]

Altars were built as a way to for a sacrifice to the gods to send down rain as most of the region was dry and need water for future crops to grow. Some sacrifices were behead, others even worse fates.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77939198e9c3.jpg[/atsimg]

Cholula, the Aztecs and the Spaniards

Cholula maintained an uneasy alliance of sorts with Tenochtitlán. The two cities arranged ritual flower wars. Being an important sacred centre, even the Aztec leaders went to Cholula to be annointed. Pilgrimages were made to the city for times of worship. The Aztecs believed that Xelhua, one of the giants from their mythology, had constructed the pyramid of Cholula.

Upon the arrival of Cortés, Cholula was Mexico's second-largest city, with a population of up to 100,000 by some estimates. There is some disagreement about what happened next, but it appears that Cortés discovered the alliance between Cholula and Tenochtitlán, perhaps he became aware of a plot against the Spaniards, and he decided to make a pre-emptive attack. As a result, thousands were slaughtered by the Spaniards - Cortes claimed 3000 were slain in three hours, but conquistador Bernardino Vázquez de Tapia claimed that the death toll was 30,000.

Whatever really happened, the massacre had the effect Cortés wanted, and the people of Mexico were much more inclined to surrender.

The temple was destroyed, and a church was built on the pyramid of Cholula, which the Spaniards seemed to believe was only a large hill (remember, by now it was overgrown).

The Cholula Pyramid today

From the 1930s until today, massive efforts have been made to excavate the pyramid. Tunnels were dug inside the structure (about 8km/5mi of them), and many discoveries were made about the various structures built on top of one another. There are replicas of some of the frescos that were found for visitors to see. One mural that was discovered is a life sized scene of drinking and inhebriation. It may depict the effects of a drugged potion from the period.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c084d1a899fd.jpg[/atsimg]

The base of the Cholula pyramid measures 450 x 450m (492 yards) and is 66m (72 yards) high. Its total volume is estimated at 4.45 million m³.

These video show in detail the exterior of the pyramid and parts of the inside as well.

Someday I plan to visit some of these great structures in Mexico and enjoy the sites. Hopefully the drug cartel will be gone by then but only time will tell if that ever occurs. History in the making.

www.aztec-history.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Awesome! I did not know it was the largest pyramid in the world. I too, plan to visit the pyramid sites sometime in the near future

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Awesome information stop - loss. I too had no idea that the largest pyramid in the world was located in the Americas. The sheer size and undertaking to construct these things is just mind boggling! Only to have them taken over by the surrounding jungle and thrust into obscurity - just to be rediscovered at a later time. Very interesting.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Great thread SL, I have never even heard of this pyramid. I will watch the videos later.
S+F

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

Very true HH. Overtime we lose our history and culture with the ravages of time but at least the ancient ones gives us understanding of what it was like in the early days with what they left us to find.. The best we can do is unearth what lies underground and put on display for the world to see.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The largest pyramid in the world is in Bosnia I think.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyJude

Hey Jude, is that Syd Barrett in your avatar there?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Link or it didn't happen.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I had to look up what the "flower wars" were and it's an interesting read

a popular idea of the Flower Wars is that it was a special institutionalized kind of warfare where two enemy states would plan battles through mutual arrangement in order to satisfy the religious needs of both combatants for war captives to use in sacrificial rituals, but also, possibly, to train young warriors and enable social mobility which for the lower classes was primarily possible through military service

So they were basically just swapping people to sacrifice to each others gods
Wow a society capable of such beauty and such barbarism all at the same time, kind of reminded me of our society now

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Very true dave. In order to get rain they had to sacrifice people to their "gods" so that they could get water for their crops. Sometimes I wonder how we are doing the same thing as them but in a very different manner.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
bump

Mod Edit: Please don't post 1-liners. Review this link.
edit on 10-4-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!

Link or it didn't happen.

www.bosnianpyramid.com...

Originally posted by Hawking
Hey Jude, is that Syd Barrett in your avatar there?

Mhmmm.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Yeah, feels like we are trying to make it rain oil. When I look at it that way, the price is way too high.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I decided to start a bit of research on the Bosnian pyramids, first place was of course wikipedia, they are saying it's a hoax. (still going to do more reading up on it)

Thus far, my thoughts are, if this is a hoax, I believe it to be an honest mistake. If it is not a hoax, why would people want to call it a hoax?

Like I said, I am just starting to read up on it.

If there are numerous unearthed pyramids in Mexico why can't there be unearthed pyramids in Europe?

I have always thought there was more transcontinental (?) travel in the old days than what archaeologists believe, perhaps they just have not found enough hard core evidence to convince themselves... or it's just ignorance.
edit on 10-4-2011 by Majestic Lumen because: wording

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic Lumen

How can a pyramid be a hoax?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

That is what I am saying, if it is not a real pyramid, it's not so much of a hoax as it is an honest mistake. And I am stressing IF it is NOT a real pyramid. But Archaeologists are claiming it is a hoax, and I am siding with the possibility that there is or are pyramids in Europe.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

Well thanks for having good taste

I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

S & F

Also we need to consider that although the Olmec are famous for their Giant Head sculptures that they were also the oldest and seemed to have built the most advanced pyramids way before the Mayans and Aztecs.

The Great Pyramid of Cholula, also known as Tlachihualtepetl (Nahuatl for "artificial mountain"), is a huge complex located in Cholula, Puebla, Mexico. It is the world's largest monument and largest Pre-Columbian pyramid by volume. Main article: Great Pyramid of Cholula

Cholula is most famous as the site of the Great Pyramid of Cholula, the largest man-made pyramid and monument by volume in the world.

The temple-pyramid complex was built in four stages, starting from the 3rd century BCE through the 9th century CE, and was dedicated to the deity Quetzalcoatl.

It is the Oldest and Largest it is more advanced than all the rest that followed. This small section here is only the small base entrance into the great pyramid here are some pictures of the whole thing.

Now if you consider that this is just the small first steps of the pyramid it then really becomes amazing when you consider the age.

Here is what some believe the complex looks like if it would be completely excavated.

Now compare the above to this well known pyramid also located in the area supposedly from a much later period.

Pyramid of the Sun

History

The name Pyramid of the Sun comes from the Aztecs, who visited the city of Teotihuacán centuries after it was abandoned; the name given to the pyramid by the Teotihuacanos is unknown.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Also we need to consider that although the Olmec are famous for their Giant Head sculptures that they were also the oldest and seemed to have built the most advanced pyramids way before the Mayans and Aztecs.

It's very interesting to think that the more advanced pyramids are the oldest.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

You did a good job of getting all this presented. I read somewhere all Indians can travel through an underground tunnel system and they meet each other for pow wows and meetings without getting stopped by border patrols and state agencies. Some sacrifices involved giving up the strongest who would kill himself willingly or be killed and his still beating heart would be part of the rituals. I kind of wonder why all of a sudden we are paying attention to these Mayan Calendars - they are a rough crowd and the customs and rituals were not pretty.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join