It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia wants 'red button' rights for US missile defence system

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Russia wants 'red button' rights for US missile defence system

www.telegraph.c o.uk

"We insist on only one thing," he said of the nascent US-backed missile defence shield. "That we are an equal part of it."

"In practical terms, that means that our office will sit for example in Brussels and agree on a red-button push to launch an interceptor missile, regardless of whether the missile is launched from Poland, Russia or the UK."

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8-4-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Is this guy serious? Does he really expect the US and its' allies to give Russia, one of the countries that this missile defense system is designed to protest against, rights to the operations of it? This is insanity.

And if we grant this request I want someone's head on a platter. It's bad enough that it seems we have sold technology to the Chinese.

www.telegraph.c o.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
"Nyet"
they are dreaming

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The Russkies are so delusional its a wonder they can see straight. Would suggest why they have had so many "accidents " over there history.

If Obama hands them the keys, we might as well kiss our ass's good by~

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Sure right after they hand over a few bottles of vodka, a hot female Russian blond babe and their missile launch codes

The Vodka and Blond are non negotiable!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I wonder how Americans would react if Russia had missiles right on our doorstep. Isn't that what the cuban missile crisis was?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I thought the "official" reasoning for the missile defense initiative was to protect europe from a possible missile attack from Iran, not Russia?

Anyhow, I can see why the Russians are against this, it effectively eliminates any influence they have over Europe, and hands it all over to the US
Should be interesting to see how it works out, I don't see the US backing down, so what alternative would Russia have other than cutting off natural gas to Europe...

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Yea right, the US government doesn't even compromise with its own citizens anymore. What do they mean anyways by a compromise? What is Russia bringing to the table in this?

It is a missile defense system anyways, not an offensive system, what do they want free reign to attack the US for? Anyhow a system like that would just take valuable time in launching an interceptor missile, they would still be arguing about it while Europe is in flames.

reply to post by mayabong

Yea it was, but they only had a few set up by the time the USN blockaded Cuba. Kennedy was the only thing that kept the chiefs of the military from a complete and imminent invasion of Cuba.

The major difference would of course be that the missiles in Cuba were nuclear tipped ICBMs, the ones in question here are defensive interceptor missiles, not WMDs.
edit on 8-4-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
/shrug... missile defense is imaginary. That "shield" has Jerry LawLer fails written all over it like Aegis.
No one on this earth is going to stop one of our missiles, truthfully.

Offensively now.. heh. That's a little different. If it comes down to a tit for tat, that shield can play a whole nother ballgame assuming you're alive long enough to use it I'd imagine so, I'd guess the whole sharing the red button thing is most likely a Russian wet dream.
edit on 8-4-2011 by Nephalim because: typocity

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Yea okay, another Aegis expert here I see.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I don't think the system is meant to protect againts russian missles, they have alot, not to mention they claim to have a few that can't be shot down by todays technology. They could easily overwhelm any of those systems with shear numbers. I say make it a joint venture, the sooner the west starts including Russia in these types of deals the sooner we can finally put the cold war behind us. Neither the US or Russia are going to fight, it is dam near logistically impossible to sustain an invasion of either place, and using nukes is pointless as it will destroy us all, so all this posturing back and forth is a waste of money for both of us.
My whole problem with this whole Russia thing is that when they broke the chains of communism instead of accepting them with open arms, we continued to screw with them, and forced them to look to other allies like Iran and China. The west really dropped the ball on this one, my guess is some high ups in nato figured that if they kept Russia as a suspect they had a better chance at keeping there major funding sources. If we would have done this right there would be no need for NATO, the EU could have there joint security force and the US could mind it's own buisness.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

I think you're wrong, the West claims the missile defense isn't aimed at Russia, rather at the threat of Iran.

Russia knows the West is lying, obviously internal politics and global politics revolves around lies and deceit. Anyways, Russia is right to call on West's lie that the missile defense is aimed at Iran, if it was, then there shouldn't be any problem including Russia in it.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
You might as well just connect all launch systems so it doesn't matter who pushes the button, it launches everything everywhere.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by Nephalim

Yea okay, another Aegis expert here I see.

I actually like Aegis, great concept. Watched the house vote it down about ten years ago or so (maybe 15? dont recall exactly) before it was eventually sold off to.. well the people who own it now I should say.. Land, air, sea combo.. not bad at all. Im no expert however, Ill assume that's sarcasm and it's welcomed as well as expected. Doesnt take an expert to know, you cant cover all angles quick enough when a propulsion system is just faster than your defense, hence imaginary. You may narrow the gap, but that's still a reach.
ie better than nothing eh? lol
edit on 8-4-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
The Russkies are so delusional its a wonder they can see straight. Would suggest why they have had so many "accidents " over there history.

If Obama hands them the keys, we might as well kiss our ass's good by~

You actually think Obama won't? I think its more of a chance that he will allow this then a chance of him not allowing this. He is weak sauce at best.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Nothing like seeing a former superpower grasp for power

......but am I talking about Russia or the U.S.?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
not delusional with the idiot as our president and who seeks to give power to the un and the rest of the world

he'll do it have you people forgotten obamas own words the us has too much power.

think he wont give russia the power? think agian.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbilly001
I don't think the system is meant to protect againts russian missles, they have alot, not to mention they claim to have a few that can't be shot down by todays technology. They could easily overwhelm any of those systems with shear numbers.

Except if they lose 90% of them in a first strike, which they fear NATO might be tempted to do if they have a working missile shield up.

Without balance of power, nuclear war is more probable, this is exactly what the cold war taught us but apparently some people don't care....

Remember that in the last stages of the missile shield deployment, there's THOUSANDS of interceptors launchers just in the US.

Interceptors can be placed on F-16/F-18/F-22... on boats and on the ground... If NATO were to coordinate a ``secret`` deployment of those interceptors missiles in hundreds of fighters planes and boats and on the ground, then launch a nuclear first strike against Russia... even if Russia had 10% of their forces left, and let's say the missile shield stopped 50% of those, I bet the elite would be pretty happy about conquering Russia for the cost of a few cities being nuked.

Ever saw Dr.Strangelove? ``Acceptable losses``... is what is all comes down when it comes to war.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by P3ACE0WAR

That was my exact first thought as well... First thing I thought was.. welp Russia is trying to push buttons to get us to admit that the missile defense system is for them not Iran..

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by P3ACE0WAR

That was my exact first thought as well... First thing I thought was.. welp Russia is trying to push buttons to get us to admit that the missile defense system is for them not Iran..

That very well may be all that this is. A little reverse psychology by the Russians. And personally, those that say this system is for the Iranians, if you think for one second that when it comes down to it that the Russians won't side with Iran, think again. Don't forget, it's the Russians who are helping the Iranians with there "peaceful" nuclear program, loading the fuel as we speak.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join