It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Smokers Want to Quit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Okay, I am a smoker. I want to quit. Are there any admitted smokers who wouldn't? Chime in. What would do it for you?

Anyone who's done it and wants to offer advice for us weaklings should jump in too, but please, can we keep this one little refuge "anit-smoker" free?

Interestingly enough, I find my problem (other than the fact that I get mental when I stop) is probably motivation. I've been offerred $500.00 to stop. That didn't do it for me. Then again, when thinking further about it, well, $25,000 would - hehehehe. So obviously, no matter how hard is was, there is a point where motivation would take over. Fear of disease and death? Must be have some sort of mental block on this one - go figure.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Seeing as my father, grandfather, etc had their chests torn apart by the time they were 60, I'm getting a little worried by these little annoyances in MY chest. Was on a coarse this week, found out what angina is. BINGO, they both had it, guess they didn't listen to their bodies. I want to see MY grandchildren grow up. Got to keep this thought in the front of my mind.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Im a smoker, And really want to give up.

I have tryed and tryed but i never seem to win the fight,.
I was doing real well once (went a whole week) but then i got in to an argument with a friend, then out came the cigg,

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I want to see MY grandchildren grow up. Got to keep this thought in the front of my mind.

Ah, yes. Funny everyone says you can't do it unless you just do it for yourself. But ultimately I think I need the motivation of doing it for someone else.

When I started I fully expected that getting pregnant would be the quit date so I wouldn't smoke forever. Well, that never happened so the years have gone by and I can't believe how long I've been doing it.

As for those around me, husband, boss, friends, they all smoke.

Worst part now that I am hanging out here is, ya know how some people have to give up caffine or alcohol at the same time? I think I'd have to give up ATS. I am smoking a lot more when I am on the boards.

Will you keep us posted on your progress? (Share it on a blog, start a quit thread or post here - whatever. Or does anyone have one going already?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Ah, yes. Funny everyone says you can't do it unless you just do it for yourself. But ultimately I think I need the motivation of doing it for someone else.
I think I'd have to give up ATS. I am smoking a lot more when I am on the boards.

Will you keep us posted on your progress? (Share it on a blog, start a quit thread or post here - whatever. Or does anyone have one going already?

Actually, I am doing it for myself, I want to see my grandkids grow up. I find I smoke less when I'm here, so that isn't a problem. A thread is a good idea.

Asala, want to buddy up. Today is my last day smoking, but I've been planning this for half a week. Doing it impulsively doesn't work. If you want to, prepare yourself, then join me when you can.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Here is the game plan my wife used and if it worked on a weakwilled person like her it should work for everybody.....LOL

Go to the doctor and get wellbutrin, if your insurince will not pay for it to quit smoking have your doc say it for your nerves it is sold for both.

Take it for a couple weeks and you will notice the cigs are tasting like # and the cravings are getting less.

Now get the gum and quit.

The gum helps with the oral part and between it and the pills it works wonders. The main thing is if you backslide dont give up almost everyone does over the first few days, this is where the pills come in they make them taste nasty. Its also a state of mind dont let it defeat you.

I didnt use any of the above just lemon drops and muleheaded stubreness....LOL

Good luck to you all

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Here is the game plan my wife used and if it worked on a weakwilled person like her it should work for everybody.....LOL

Go to the doctor and get wellbutrin, if your insurince will not pay for it to quit smoking have your doc say it for your nerves it is sold for both.

Good luck to you all

Well, Wellbutrin.... My Dr. tried to make me quit and didn't offer it till I started crashing. Then he gave me half the recommended dose for a week. It wasn't helping, so he finally gave me the recommended dose. It seemed to have just kicked in but I was too far gone at that point and lost the battle.

I have been thinking about trying again, but this time the right way. In fact I was gonna start taking it today but that puts me a week to 10 days out on the quit date right?

Intrepid - start that thread, Who knows, you could be an inspiration for us and others out there could encourage you and the rest of us.

EDIT: Okay, I'm jumping ship for Intrepids Quit Smoking Thread in health & wellness.

(First try at linking to another thread in a post)

www.belowtopsecret.com...

LET'S GO!

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by Relentless]

[edit on 25-7-2004 by Relentless]

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
My biggest problem with quitting is who is going to protect the poor people around me while I turn into the biggest a-hole on the planet for 3 weeks?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
My biggest problem with quitting is who is going to protect the poor people around me while I turn into the biggest a-hole on the planet for 3 weeks?

The patch really helps. When you're ready, jump aboard.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I am in the last third portion of my quiting plan. What I did was force myself to smoke weaker cigs. I dropped full flavs to lights, stayed on the lights for two weeks, got used to it, then dropped to ultra lights, I will stay on those for another week(one week is already done). Then I drop cigs completely. To fight cravings I will probably use either the weakest gum they have, or I do have some sample of 'revel', a type of smokeless tobbaco. I plan on popping one in to kill the craving, then get rid of it since the dang things make me gag!

Eventually on those I can break the hand to mouth thing and fight the craving. Once the H to M thing is fixed, it's off to fight off a very weakened nic craving, which seems to be a much easier idea. just my battle plan and 2�

top topics

join