It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rio de Janeiro School Shooting Kills 11

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
The 'hero' police were staged very close to the school. Is this just coincidence, or evidence of foreknowledge? Why were they 'military' police, as opposed to the municipal cops?
They have many military police doing civil police work in Brazil, that's perfectly normal.

g1.globo.com...
The three MPs belong to the Highway Police Battalion (BPRV) and day of the attack, they worked in the surveillance van in a street near the school.
I think that translation mean point people in the wrong direction, although I am not Brazilian and my English is not that good, I think this would be a better translation.

"The three MPs belong to the Battalion of Traffic Police (BPRV) and in the day of the attack, they were working in the inspection of vans in a street near to the school."

More evidence of a second shooter:

revistaepoca.globo.com...
"There was the news that there was a second element in place, so I circled the school looking for that person," he said.
No, that's the same thing that was said on the day of the shooting (that article is from that day), that some people thought that there was another man, but I haven't seen any real evidence or anyone saying that.

Ah, yes. The politicians quickly capitalize, as I predicted:

fantastico.globo.com...
The House of Deputies has accelerated the progress of a project that requires the installation of metal detectors in all schools in Brazil.
That is the kind of prediction that does not need to be done, it's automatic.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Alright, as you guys may have guessed, I'm not that avid ATSer like so many that I appreciate, but I do what I can... Crazy and fast life that I live doesn't always allow me to have the time that I wish for in order to proper propagate my thoughts and observations here for all of us.

Now, some twists about the subject.
But first,ArMaP your translation of "marra" is accurate, I also couldn't find a better word to translate. Well done, are you from Portugal?

But I think starviego is going to be interested in this:
I'll summarize what I have, since proper translation would take time I rather spend on priority matters.

On last days of investigations, the police found notes (as in a diary) written by the killer where he claims to have been part of a terrorist group. He talks about two men, Abdul and Philip... they are suppose to be from this group, and he (the killer) had the task to pray on mid-day, five other times a day, to read the Koran and the time he had left, to "meditate about Sept 11th."

Here's a link to the current official story: extra.globo.com...

Of course, the notes were analyzed by professionals who concluded that the killer was in a severe delusional state, as in the movie "A Beautiful Mind". The police found no physical evidence (less the notes themselves) of the existence of such group or people. And local police has jurisdiction on the case (as opposed to Federal Police if they believed a terrorism group was involved).

The police also got his computers (one was set on fire prior to the event), and cooperation from internet providers to learn about his internet affairs... that was days ago, but so far nothing exceptional has been released.
They only got to a nephew of the killer, who told that his uncle used to send very long and radical emails about terrorism, 9/11, conspiracies, religion... but no one ever took it seriously....

Search on work computer: www.clicapiaui.com...

Search on trashed computer: www.sidneyrezende.com...

Seach on a cousin's computer: noticias.terra.com.br...

That's just another case of "oh we knew he was a little strange, but never thought he would do such a thing..."
Yeah... we knew...

Peace

edit on 12-4-2011 by Sator because: spelling

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
To clarify the "surveillance van" bit:

ArMap is correct about the translation.

Explanation:

In Rio, the majority of children go to school by bus (regular, not "students only" buses like in US movies) or by means of "Private Vans". The transportation business is huge in Brazil, so there are many entrepreneurs that that buy/rent vans and capitalize picking-up kids at their houses, driving them to school and back to home after classes.
There are laws and legal rules that apply to this business, there is a special "license" you must get before doing business.
Some people do it without the license, with improper vehicles and safety issues involved.

The police are always near places where lot's of those private vans circulate.

Peace

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Must have watched a lot of American television and movies.

2nd line

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Sator, ArMap, thanks for clarifying the stuff about the van.

The following link talks about a message posted on a social networking site:

www.clicapiaui.com...
A polícia investiga se há relação de Wellington com um perfil anônimo criado no Orkut, que postou sete dias antes do ataque à Escola Municipal Tasso Oliveira, em Realengo, uma mensagem que falava sobre uma chacina em colégio do Rio. O texto também foi publicado por um perfil falso do deputado federal Jair Bolsonaro (PP-RJ).
No mesmo site de relacionamentos, em um fórum que debate sobre bullying (agressão moral ou física no ambiente escolar praticada por estudante), havia mensagem sobre um massacre em uma escola, comparado a Columbine, onde um ataque terminou com 13 mortes em uma escola nos Estados Unidos.

Any chance you native speakers can access this site and tell me if this was Wellington posting, and what the reference was to Columbine?

-----------
(kerazeesicko)
"Must have watched a lot of American television and movies.
2nd line"

Huh? Explain please.

edit on 12-4-2011 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego

Any chance you native speakers can access this site and tell me if this was Wellington posting, and what the reference was to Columbine?

Sure.

Seven days prior to the event, an anonymous poster on Orkut (in Brazil, Orkut is still "more popular" then Facebook) posted a message about a massacre in a school in Rio.
The same message was posted by a fake profile of Jair Bolsonaro, who is a politician, a Rep.

The police investigates if it was him or not, after having seized computers that the killer has access to.
They will try to recover the data from the burnt hard drive on one computer.

The reference to Columbine is just that, a reference.
As in:

No mesmo site de relacionamentos, em um fórum que debate sobre bullying (agressão moral ou física no ambiente escolar praticada por estudante), havia mensagem sobre um massacre em uma escola, comparado a Columbine, onde um ataque terminou com 13 mortes em uma escola nos Estados Unidos.

"On the same social network, on a forum about bullying(...), there was a message about a massacre in a school, compared to Columbine, where and attack ended with 13 killed in a school in US."

Hope it helps.

Peace

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sator
But first,ArMaP your translation of "marra" is accurate, I also couldn't find a better word to translate. Well done, are you from Portugal?
Sim, sou Português.

(translation: Yes, I'm Portuguese.
)

More information: In a video message recorded two days before the shooting, the killer said

The struggle for which many brothers died in the past, and I will die, is not only because of what is known as bullying. Our struggle is against cruel, coward people, who take advantage of the goodness, innocence, weakness of people unable to defend themselves

In a second part he said:

The brothers noticed that I shaved my beard. It was necessary, because I was already planning to go to the place to study, see a form of infiltration. I had gone before, many months ago. I went there. I had not a beard yet. I went to make an analysis

And...

Today is Monday, Tuesday, in fact. I went yesterday, Monday. Today is Tuesday, the 5th. And that was a tactic to avoid arousing attention. Although I am alone, not having a family ... I live alone, I don't have anyone to explain myself to*. But, as I needed to go to the site and interact with people, not to attract attention, I decided to shave my beard

* Once more, I don't know exactly how to translate the expression "não tenho pessoas a dar satisfação", although it's an expression we also use in Portugal. I don't think that "I don't have people to give satisfaction" does not explain it properly.

Source (in Portuguese)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

You're right again, ArMap...

In this case, the word "satisfação" has the same meaning as "explicação".
Very common use of the word in Brazil...

Peace

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
New evidence in the form of videos and written statements has been released. Apparently we are to believe the motive for the mass murder was because he was bullied--seven or eight years prior, when he was in school.

noticias.terra.com.br... l&usg=ALkJrhhU19FSf06ucXAVJAGWnQqDEojN4Q
In two videos recorded before killing 12 teenagers at a school in Rio de Janeiro, Wellington Menezes de Oliveira said he was fighting against "cowards", and bullying. According to a report from the National Journal, which had access to two video files (supposedly written by the youth himself) in which he appears without a beard, in front of what looks like a wall, two days before the shooting, said: "the fight in which many brothers were killed in the past, and I will die, not only by what is known as bullying. Our struggle is against cruel, cowards, who take advantage of goodness, innocence, weakness of people unable to defend themselves."

So the gunman slaughters people unable to defend themselves to make a statement about bullying cowards? Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Another video of the gunman reading his manifesto:

www.buzzfeed.com...

He doesn't appear very enthusiastic or animated, in fact he appears subdued. One gets the feeling he is drugged and/or acting at someone else's behest.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join