It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rio de Janeiro School Shooting Kills 11

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Rio de Janeiro School Shooting Kills 11

blogs.forbes.com

A former student invaded and shot up a public middle school in Rio de Janeiro Thursday, killing 11 young students between the ages of 12 and 14 years old, police officials said, marking the first school shooting in the nation’s history. Ever since the Colombine High School massacre in Colorado in April 1999, Brazilians have been thanking their lucky stars that no such copy cat crimes have ever taken place within their school system...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
www.allvoices.co m

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Well, there you have it.

I guess that's about the ultimate kind of massacre that some of us in Brazil we're foreseeing for some time...

Thanks a lot to: weapon makers, the education system, the police, government, "social service", the parents, and of course US ALL ! For without our inability to actually try to understand and live in PEACE with eachother, this killing spree would never be possible!

Peace
Sator
[Guess I just make sure everyone gets the above text is all sarcasm.]

blogs.forbes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Just one more link, to a brazilian source with the picture of the killer and the list with the names of the victims.
g1.globo.com...
If anyone wants to send them their: prayers, energy, vibe, vibration, positive thoughs, what ever.... families will need it.

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I am assuming you understand Portuguese and are keeping track of the local media. Is there any indication there was a second gunman? How was the shooter dressed?
edit on 7-4-2011 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sator

I am so sorry for you and your countrymen. This comes as a terrible shock so difficult to recover from even if you know no one in the incident.. The bravery of the older students is beyond amazing. You must be so proud.

My condolences and prayers to your country, to the families and friends of the deceased and all who are affected by this tragic incident.

Peace, Love and Light
edit on 7-4-2011 by angelchanneller because: forgot salutation

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
I am assuming you understand Portuguese and are keeping track of the local media. Is there any indication there was a second gunman? How was the shooter dressed?

Right.
No indication of second shooter.

The gunmen was well dressed, he met with a teacher who actually knew him (he was a former student). He said hewasgoing in to give a lecture...
After a cop shot him in theleg, he shot himself in the head.
Also, he left a letter, confusing one, but clearly states his will to do what he did, and to also kill himself in the end...
He even describes how he wants to be buried.

I guess it's a matter of hours until more details come out in english language.

But feel free to ask, I'll answer what I know.

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sator

I love how you blamed everyone else except for the madman that did this.. It's not the gun maker's fault that this guy got a gun (especially in South America lol) and decided to kill a bunch of kids..

It's the mad man's fault. His alone. He is the one to blame!

It his horribly tragic and my heart goes out to the families of those who died.. It's the mad man's fault
edit on 7-4-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I think you have misunderstood. it is pretty clear to me that the insipid cultural ideals of places like the USA seem to seep into every knook and cranny on this earth. As a role model for the western world the USA has failed. I think this was his point. But I could be wrong and maybe just stating my own take on this and my own opinion.

As a disclamer there are good people in the USA. I have lived in the states and met many of them.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I love how you fail to realize the sarcasm.
I didn't even blame the killer!

I do not want to start an ideology discussion in this thread, but regarding your coment, I must say that my believes drive me to see the bigger picture.
Of course the 23years old, poor, under-educated, jobless, oppressed man has part in this tale, but he was raised around people. Not isolated in a cave since birth. So it is my belief that the environment takes a huge roll in one's action.

Peace

edit on 7-4-2011 by Sator because: grammar

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Here is a quote indicating that the crowd of spectators perhaps recognized another suspect. Did eyewitnesses identify this unknown person as a gunman?

www.thestar.co.za...
(photo caption) People react to a person in a police car who they mistook for a suspect after a school shooting in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Here are some quotes that seem to indicate the shooting started outside of the school:

www.guardian.co.uk...
--Witnesses said the shooting began outside the school at around 8.30am when a man opened fire on two boys, shooting one in the head and one in the arm with what was said to be handgun.

www.monstersandcritics.com...
... teenager Thiago Silva Motta, who witnessed Menezes' arrival(outside the school?), said the gunman made no political comments and only uttered three sentences before his indiscriminate killing spree.
'I am paranoid. I use my drugs. I came here to give a lecture,' Menezes said, according to Silva.

And here is a source that the suspect was dressed more than simply 'well':

news.yahoo.com...
--from the comments section:
The man, dressed as a policeman, with boots and bullet proof vests, said he will do a speech about "murder of teenager" and ask to a classroom to raise up their hands and close the eyes before his "speech" ...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
reply to post by DaMod

I think you have misunderstood. it is pretty clear to me that the insipid cultural ideals of places like the USA seem to seep into every knook and cranny on this earth. As a role model for the western world the USA has failed. I think this was his point. But I could be wrong and maybe just stating my own take on this and my own opinion.

As a disclamer there are good people in the USA. I have lived in the states and met many of them.

Yes!

I wish I could star you twice for that.
I could not have expressed myself better. And I second that disclaimer.

Peace
edit on 7-4-2011 by Sator because: grammar

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

Cases like this, will always get mixed information everywhere...

I'm following the main network, the "CNN" version of brazilian TV...
Oficial story is that he was alone.
After shot, the first officer on scene checked the building because there were rumors of a second shooter.
Found no evidence of it.

On this link (main network site) there are some images of the security camera in the school, shows the shooter.
He does not look like he's dressed as a policeman... at least not like any police I have seen.

Of course, info is pouring since it's recent event... perhaps the vest, boots, the black outfit could be seen as elite squad... who knows...

I quoted the teacher who said "he came in well dressed and said he was giving a lecture".

Now some sources are saying he also said "a lecture about teenage killings".

As I said, mixed and pouring info.

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Sator,

Here is a profile I compiled on this kind of suspect. Check you local media in the coming days and see how many of these characteristics are shared by the alleged shooter.

The Columbine Client:

--Friends may notice abrupt changes in mood in the days and weeks before the shooting. He may have complained that lately he has experienced strange and vivid dreams of a violent nature.

--He will be dressed in all black and/or camoflage, oftentimes with a black trenchcoat.

--Eyewitnesses at the scene will say the shooter was 'like a robot,' or that there were a totally blank expression on his face.

--The media will paint him as a loner, but he will in fact have a circle of friends or be part of a clique.

--Extra ammo/guns/bombs will be found at his home and in his auto(this to 'close the circle' of guilt in the public's mind). The guns will have been legally acquired by the shooter or a close relative/neighbor. He will have brought an excessive quantity of ammunition to the scene. (This is so that, if he has 200rounds of ammo, people will think "Wow, he must have wanted to kill 200 people. What a nut!")

--Literature and/or videos about Adolph Hitler, Charles Manson(infamous American cult leader), or the Columbine killers will be found amongst his possessions.

--He will be computer-savvy, and likely left an online presence. He may have left some kind of manifesto, though it will be incomprehensible/nonsensical for the most part. He will have hinted at what he had planned, but the name of the target itself will not be mentioned. A complete record of what he communicated, and with who, on his computer will NOT be released.

--He will probably have been a player of violent video games, and will have been a fan of violence-themed movies. He will have produced his own videos in which he is seen with his weapons or expressing his hatred and/or violence.

--He will have a strong interest in weapons--guns, knives, swords, bombs--or the military.

--He will have had contact with a military recruiter or he will have spent some time in the military before being seperated under murky circumstances.

--There is a good chance he will have been active in "Live Action Role Playing"(LARP) games. Especially one called "Vampire, the Masquerade." Or he will have been a player in "Airsoft"/paintball games.

--He will have been mentally "treated" at some point by a counselor, psychologist, or a psychiatrist. And this shrink will likely remain unidentified and will NEVER be interviewed, even though he is perhaps best positioned to tell us what the motive is. The shooter may also may have taken "anger management" sessions.

--He will have a history of taking SSRIs(selective seritonin reuptake inhibitors), often in combination with Ritalin(methylphenidate).

--There is some likelihood that he was institutionalized or hospitalized at some point before the attack. At any rate there will gaps in the timeline where police cannot account for his whereabouts.

--He probably had some contact with the police/law enforcement before the shooting.

--He might have been involved with Satanism or other strange occultic-type religions.

--If he survived the assault, he will be unable to explain why he did what he did. He may claim that 'voices' in his head told him to do it. Or he may not even remember the act at all. But whether the shooter lives or dies, motive will always remain a mystery.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego

Although not that clear, here is an image from a security camera, taken from this page (in Portuguese).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/410603e2455f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Thanks for posting that. Also, for Sator, they say he spent a lot of time on the internet. Has anybody discovered his online presence yet?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

starviego,
I'll try to find more on the profile... will keep an eye and coment on that later.

As to his internet affairs, I only heard one mention to it, one phrase, something like a news anchor saying something about his "internet profile", since it's not common to hear in brazilian news the social network's proper name (ie. Facebook, Orkut, etc). Should I learn something new, I'll post.

Now, I'm off for the weekend, will be back on sunday or monday.

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have a son going into middle school next year, he will be 12 in summer. I feel so heartbroken for all the families and for these beautiful children. This is a horrible tragedy, and always suspect there is more behind this. My prayers go with everyone.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This last post of today will be for the numerologist out there.
I'm not a "numerology believer" per se, I just like to find the 'coincidences'.

On april 7.
Killer age: 23.
kills = 11.
Injuries = 13.

All primes?

And for the profiler:

kills 10 girls, 1 boy.
Injuries 12 girls, 1 boy.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sator

Just to mess up the numerologists, they now say 12 deaths.

Source (in Portuguese)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by Sator

Just to mess up the numerologists, they now say 12 deaths.

Source (in Portuguese)

The Secretary of Health of Rio, Sergio Cortes, confirmed that 13 people were killed in the Municipal School Tasso da Silveira, Realengo in Rio on the morning of Thursday. According to police, the gunman was among the dead. There are 22 children and staff injured, eight of them seriously.

Source

In fact, they are 13.(gunman included)
edit on 7-4-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join